Bicycle-Fi!
Oct 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #2,761 of 4,427
  Do any of you guys recommend cycling shorts? I usually only ride for 30 minutes to an hour... my ass use to get sore but now it doesn't bother me, especially after i found out i could angle my seat 
biggrin.gif

I'd recommend a cycling bib over shorts, but a few of my friends don't seem to mind just the shorts. I only ever wear my bib / jersey when I plan to either ride hard or far (30mi+). Otherwise, my saddle is relatively friendly to my bum on the shorter more casual rides. So it's gonna really depend on your comfort and how hard you ride when you're out. Definitely not a waste of money though if you plan to continue cycling!

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #2,762 of 4,427
  Do any of you guys recommend cycling shorts? I usually only ride for 30 minutes to an hour... my ass use to get sore but now it doesn't bother me, especially after i found out i could angle my seat 
biggrin.gif

I'd recommend a cycling bib over shorts, but a few of my friends don't seem to mind just the shorts. I only ever wear my bib / jersey when I plan to either ride hard or far (30mi+). Otherwise, my saddle is relatively friendly to my bum on the shorter more casual rides. So it's gonna really depend on your comfort and how hard you ride when you're out. Definitely not a waste of money though if you plan to continue cycling!

I own a pair, Which while they do improve riding comfort, I will still feel some discomfort when I ride for an hour or so.
but post ride I'll feel fine. That being said, I rode 50km is jeans the other day. That was a very bad idea.
I hate lycra though, so I always wear running shorts over the top of them.
I'm probably just going to find some sleek mtb shorts as a sort of halfway point.
As a side: there is a very popular cafe near me with a sign on the door that says 'We do not serve cycalists in lycra, women, or men wearing tights, jeggings or compression clothing as pants, We don't want to see that, and neither do our customers'
And they stand by that sign, I see pissed off looking people that try their luck and just flat out get refusal of service.
I have to say, I'd say it was unfair, but the sign on the door is large, the coffee is very good, and I agree with them that it's not something that people should just walk around in and think looks ok.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #2,763 of 4,427
I own a pair, Which while they do improve riding comfort, I will still feel some discomfort when I ride for an hour or so.

but post ride I'll feel fine. That being said, I rode 50km is jeans the other day. That was a very bad idea.

I'm probably just going to find some sleek mtb shorts as a sort of halfway point.

As a side: there is a very popular cafe near me with a sign on the door that says 'We do not serve cycalists in lycra, women, or men wearing tights, jeggings or compression clothing as pants, We don't want to see that, and neither do our customers'

And they stand by that sign, I see pissed off looking people that try their luck and just flat out get refusal of service.

I have to say, I'd say it was unfair, but the sign on the door is large, the coffee is very good, and I agree with them that it's not something that people should just walk around in and think looks ok.

Baggy shorts over Lycra is the way to go

But then again I'm a mountain biker who rides on the road sometimes...

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2,764 of 4,427

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since others are describing their bikes, I may as well chime in.

My bike is a modded Peugeot PX-10 - sandblasted, repainted, drilled holes for water-bottle mounts, filed off rough edges, added brake cable guides with epoxy. The hang-on gear is a mix of American, French, and Japanese stuff [only the frame itself is original], including a TA triple crank and Huret Duopar derailleurs actuated by Suntour indexed bar-ends - it works! The wheels are custom-built on sealed-bearing hubs, and heavy-duty rims. The tires [700C] are so fat that the rear must be deflated prior to removal from the frame.

The ride is soft and comfortable, but the bike rolls so easily that I have actually COASTED past a jogger on a gentle upgrade.

Laz

Laz, you remind me of Retro-Bike Guru Grant Peterson, bike designer and producer. Grant never bought into index shifting, because it limited the combination of equipment. He just wanted the most functional high quality components for his bikes, he was the master of fitting his bikes with NOS (new old stock) found in surplus warehouses. Not unusual to find Suntour shifter to Mavic dérailleurs on his bikes, all friction or course. He was also a proponent of 27 to 32 mm wide tires...and wool jerseys. *itch-itch*
  Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
Funny you should mention it, because I was in three of my old bike shop haunts on Friday for a little touch-and-feel. Unfortunately, I had forgotten what young bike salesmen were like. One dude had me pigeonholed onto some Specialized that did not fit any of my stated requirements and then rapidly lost interest as soon as I had the audacity to point that out. Another quoted me three prices on a bike in the course of fifteen minutes, each succeeding price higher than the last. I had forgotten how my local bike shops seem to feel entitled to me business and how nonobtrusive the service could get. Besides, I aint got no tats or piercings, so I must be some kind of straight freak. Right?

Pa, sorry but it looks like your local shop ain't worth a sh!t. My local shop has a few gray beards still hanging around and the crew can even advise me on sew-ups, no pretension just (older) guys who like to ride. The proprietor trained with Lemond in the early days.

Speaking of Grant Peterson, back in the day I owned a Bridgestone RB-1 roadbike and that was a sweet ride. When Bridgestone stopped selling bikes in the US, I bought the ex a XO-1 at a great price.  I was bummed that they didn't have one in my size or I would have bought one too.  Shortly thereafter, Grant started Rivendell and was selling his personal bikes to raise some cash. I bought a handbuilt Ritchey Road from him (frame made by Tom himself) and when it showed up it had Suntour derailleurs on it, diacomp brakes and corks instead of handlebar plugs.  I soon put first generation Campy Ergo shifters and drivetrain on  it. Oh, I almost forgot, it had a really nice Mavic road crank on it that I left on it.  That was a nice bike...I sold it about 10 years ago and I wish that I still had it.

That must be early Rivendell, when he was running it out of his house and garage? I spent a lot of time on the phone talking bike, his post-Bridgestone plans, and buying a bunch of out of production components from him. Including were a Mavic 631 "starfish" crankset, which is probably what you're describing, a Suntour Superbe Pro brakeset, and Simplex retrofriction shifters--all NOS. Also had Superbe Pro F/R derailleurs. Awesome stuff, wish I still had them.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2,765 of 4,427
correct on all counts - very early Rivendell.  And you are right about the crank (model, etc); you have a much better memory than I do.I'm afraid I've gone over to the darkside, though, I don't have any of those old components on any of my bikes anymore...well, the Campy Record on my Seven road bikes is over 10 years old...they've become classics! 

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2,766 of 4,427
Do any of you guys recommend cycling shorts? I usually only ride for 30 minutes to an hour... my ass use to get sore but now it doesn't bother me, especially after i found out i could angle my seat :D

Lycra with the DuPont Coolmax material inside. Before it came out in the mid- eighties they had shammy padding.

This stuff both cushions and cools, blocks agains chaffing and wears forever. There was a time before Lycra when everyone wore wool. Wool is actually coming back for outdoor wear, but not in bike pants.

Bike jerseys also allow a cooler better ride. They allow pockets in the back for cell phones, apples, or extra water bottles.

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2,768 of 4,427
Originally Posted by PleasantNoise /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I'd avoid that place always, no matter the occasion.

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #2,769 of 4,427

That sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I'd avoid that place always, no matter the occasion.

Even though I do tend to make fun out of cyclists in Lycra, that kind of politics just plain sucks.

And yes, just in case you were wondering, I'm back.

*/ puts his mask back on his face, and disappears leaving only the dusk knowing what he did there with his carbon fiber road bike... /*

biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,770 of 4,427

Even though I do tend to make fun out of cyclists in Lycra, that kind of politics just plain sucks.

And yes, just in case you were wondering, I'm back.

*/ puts his mask back on his face, and disappears leaving only the dusk knowing what he did there with his carbon fiber road bike... /*

biggrin.gif

What kind of mileage are you doing these days?

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2,771 of 4,427

I worked in a supermarket, and now work in a fast food restaurant, serving customers. When people walk in the door wearing nothing but an ill-fitting, tight vest and tights,
You appreciate why the cafe has that rule. The cyclists in lycra and jeggings and tights not to be worn as pants is a courtesy to other people. You don't walk into a restaurant in your underwear and expect to get served right? So  Think about lycra, it's skin tight, thin and very revealing, when you're actually cycling it's not so bad, but if you walk into a shop like that, it looks really bad. it's like walking into a shop in speedos...
It makes sense to me, but then I don't go out cycling and stop at a cafe with friends for coffee part way through the ride.
I go out, I pedal for an hour or 2, I get home, shower, put normal clothes back on.
It's not just cycalists in lyrcra they don't serve. they won't serve you if you're inappropriately dressed, the same way you wouldn't expect them to be walking around in under garments and aprons, why should they let customers do it? if you walked in wearing a mini skirt with your ass hanging out, they would ask you to leave too, it's not an attack on cycalists, it's just an extension of manners really.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2,772 of 4,427
  I worked in a supermarket, and now work in a fast food restaurant, serving customers. When people walk in the door wearing nothing but an ill-fitting, tight vest and tights,
You appreciate why the cafe has that rule. The cyclists in lycra and jeggings and tights not to be worn as pants is a courtesy to other people. You don't walk into a restaurant in your underwear and expect to get served right? So  Think about lycra, it's skin tight, thin and very revealing, when you're actually cycling it's not so bad, but if you walk into a shop like that, it looks really bad. it's like walking into a shop in speedos...
It makes sense to me, but then I don't go out cycling and stop at a cafe with friends for coffee part way through the ride.
I go out, I pedal for an hour or 2, I get home, shower, put normal clothes back on.
It's not just cycalists in lyrcra they don't serve. they won't serve you if you're inappropriately dressed, the same way you wouldn't expect them to be walking around in under garments and aprons, why should they let customers do it? if you walked in wearing a mini skirt with your ass hanging out, they would ask you to leave too, it's not an attack on cycalists, it's just an extension of manners really.

That makes a little sense, but lycra is still not comparable to any of the examples you provided. A good example would be yoga pants. Are those banned? I doubt it! If they don't want cleats clacking around damaging the floors or if they happen to get really heavy cyclist traffic, that is one thing, but the lycra defense doesn't make any sense to me other than it being unfashionable and below "standards" of vocal regulars. Whether that be good or bad, I'm sure they run a decent place.

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #2,773 of 4,427

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #2,774 of 4,427

That makes a little sense, but lycra is still not comparable to any of the examples you provided. A good example would be yoga pants. Are those banned? I doubt it! If they don't want cleats clacking around damaging the floors or if they happen to get really heavy cyclist traffic, that is one thing, but the lycra defense doesn't make any sense to me other than it being unfashionable and below "standards" of vocal regulars. Whether that be good or bad, I'm sure they run a decent place.

+1 Not sure why lycra would be undecent, it is totally understandable and atleast in my country is a normal thing to see cyclist in their breaks walking around public places. And until now I have never seen anyone making fun of them, even mid-shoolers. I guess in Europe we have a slightly different culture in what concerns cyclist clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back