Bicycle-Fi!
Oct 4, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #2,746 of 4,427
Sounds like quite the workout! Don't forget about us when you get that lighter, sleeker road bike, we wanna see pix.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #2,747 of 4,427
  For me, cycling is so much fun - and has the benefit of travel, scenery and friendship - I never worry about what I don't have. A nicer bike, car, audio gears... nuthin'. I enjoy living in the moment and make what I do have, do what they do. And right now that ain't too bad. On a given Thursday, I could be found riding along the Pacific Ocean. Then Saturday, on a World class indoor Olympic track with Siberian Pine hardwood.

Trust me, if I rode a $50 bike along the beach, I'd still be smiling...

I I would love to ride a velodrome one day, my nearest is about 30km away, I would have to cycle there, and I need some sort of license to ride there, I have no idea when it's available for casual use, although it is free which is nice, it's also just an outdoor concrete track, 42degree bank, 285m. One day I will.
I'm also yet to ride a track bike or fixie, which I'd like to, I have my singlespeed, and I've ridden spin bikes, but that's not really the same

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #2,748 of 4,427

I I would love to ride a velodrome one day, my nearest is about 30km away, I would have to cycle there, and I need some sort of license to ride there, I have no idea when it's available for casual use, although it is free which is nice, it's also just an outdoor concrete track, 42degree bank, 285m. One day I will.
I'm also yet to ride a track bike or fixie, which I'd like to, I have my singlespeed, and I've ridden spin bikes, but that's not really the same

Nice to know where you like to cycle in. I much prefer natural road tracks, especially the ones that head into small roads deep into mountain forests, it is just a dream to experience that. I don't enjoy as much artificial tracks unfortunaly and they are not even close to where I leave.

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,749 of 4,427
Cycling is many things for each person. In my twenties it was a serious statement of who I was. Now that I'm older I actually spend a ton of time on the bike, but just wandering around.

There is the scenery, the great feeling around corners, the feeling at the end of a long ride.

It's a way just to get out of the house and breath O2.

On the other hand I just love the invention of the bike in general. Such a fascinating thing in itself.

The bike culture also gives many a positive thing to be involved with, be it racing or just cruising around and looking cool.:cool:

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #2,750 of 4,427

Cycling is many things for each person. In my twenties it was a serious statement of who I was. Now that I'm older I actually spend a ton of time on the bike, but just wandering around.

There is the scenery, the great feeling around corners, the feeling at the end of a long ride.

On the other hand I just love the invention of the bike in general. Such a fascinating thing in itself.

The bike culture also gives many a positive thing to be involved with, be it racing or just cruising around and looking cool.
cool.gif

Yes, a wonderful and integral part of our lives.
beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #2,751 of 4,427

The Velo makes for great variety, as I like to mix it up. I originally began riding the original 7-11 Olympic Velo built for the 1984 LA Olympics. Outdoor-banked 33 degrees-330 meter length (I believe).

They took it down but the indoor track is on the same campus - Cal State Univ-Dominguez Hills. If I may ask (PM me if you prefer) but which Velo is down the street from you, so to speak? You gotta try it!
popcorn.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2,752 of 4,427

Nice to know where you like to cycle in. I much prefer natural road tracks, especially the ones that head into small roads deep into mountain forests, it is just a dream to experience that. I don't enjoy as much artificial tracks unfortunaly and they are not even close to where I leave.

That does 
wink.gif
 sound dreamy. Would love that experience, especially sans cars...

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #2,753 of 4,427

Friday, I prepped the Schwinn for a training ride but couldn't get free. I'm currently considering swapping out the bars and wheel-set and doing 'Cross' for the very first time. Maybe Dec-Feb. It looks like a lot of fun. Anyone out there doing 'Cross' this winter? 

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #2,754 of 4,427

The bike culture also gives many a positive thing to be involved with, be it racing or just cruising around and looking cool.
cool.gif

Exactly!

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,755 of 4,427
Do any of you guys recommend cycling shorts? I usually only ride for 30 minutes to an hour... my ass use to get sore but now it doesn't bother me, especially after i found out i could angle my seat 
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,756 of 4,427
  Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since others are describing their bikes, I may as well chime in.

My bike is a modded Peugeot PX-10 - sandblasted, repainted, drilled holes for water-bottle mounts, filed off rough edges, added brake cable guides with epoxy. The hang-on gear is a mix of American, French, and Japanese stuff [only the frame itself is original], including a TA triple crank and Huret Duopar derailleurs actuated by Suntour indexed bar-ends - it works! The wheels are custom-built on sealed-bearing hubs, and heavy-duty rims. The tires [700C] are so fat that the rear must be deflated prior to removal from the frame.

The ride is soft and comfortable, but the bike rolls so easily that I have actually COASTED past a jogger on a gentle upgrade.

Laz

Laz, you remind me of Retro-Bike Guru Grant Peterson, bike designer and producer. Grant never bought into index shifting, because it limited the combination of equipment. He just wanted the most functional high quality components for his bikes, he was the master of fitting his bikes with NOS (new old stock) found in surplus warehouses. Not unusual to find Suntour shifter to Mavic dérailleurs on his bikes, all friction or course. He was also a proponent of 27 to 32 mm wide tires...and wool jerseys. *itch-itch*
  Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
Funny you should mention it, because I was in three of my old bike shop haunts on Friday for a little touch-and-feel. Unfortunately, I had forgotten what young bike salesmen were like. One dude had me pigeonholed onto some Specialized that did not fit any of my stated requirements and then rapidly lost interest as soon as I had the audacity to point that out. Another quoted me three prices on a bike in the course of fifteen minutes, each succeeding price higher than the last. I had forgotten how my local bike shops seem to feel entitled to me business and how nonobtrusive the service could get. Besides, I aint got no tats or piercings, so I must be some kind of straight freak. Right?

Pa, sorry but it looks like your local shop ain't worth a sh!t. My local shop has a few gray beards still hanging around and the crew can even advise me on sew-ups, no pretension just (older) guys who like to ride. The proprietor trained with Lemond in the early days.

Speaking of Grant Peterson, back in the day I owned a Bridgestone RB-1 roadbike and that was a sweet ride. When Bridgestone stopped selling bikes in the US, I bought the ex a XO-1 at a great price.  I was bummed that they didn't have one in my size or I would have bought one too.  Shortly thereafter, Grant started Rivendell and was selling his personal bikes to raise some cash. I bought a handbuilt Ritchey Road from him (frame made by Tom himself) and when it showed up it had Suntour derailleurs on it, diacomp brakes and corks instead of handlebar plugs.  I soon put first generation Campy Ergo shifters and drivetrain on  it. Oh, I almost forgot, it had a really nice Mavic road crank on it that I left on it.  That was a nice bike...I sold it about 10 years ago and I wish that I still had it.

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #2,757 of 4,427

Friday, I prepped the Schwinn for a training ride but couldn't get free. I'm currently considering swapping out the bars and wheel-set and doing 'Cross' for the very first time. Maybe Dec-Feb. It looks like a lot of fun. Anyone out there doing 'Cross' this winter? 

Yeah, I ride 'cross...or should say I did.  I crashed a couple of weeks ago and dislocated my right collarbone pretty badly.  Had to have a screw put in to hold it in position so it can heal correctly. Also trashed my helmet and broke the top tube on my Ridley X-Fire.  Glad this **** doesn't happen listening to my HD800s!

Regarding taking your road bike cyclo-crossing, you may have some challenges with tire clearance since most CX tires are 700x33; your road brakes may not give you enough clearance.  You can prolly get away using road brakes in LA if the tires fit, but up here in Seattle it would never work because mud will going to jam up the wheels.  That's why CX bikes use cantilever or disc brakes.

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2,758 of 4,427
I own six bikes 5 road, one track, the track bike is an old Pogliaghi that I've ridden at the superdrome in Frisco Tx about 5 miles from home.
I have a penchant for vintage Dutch bikes, my pride and joy being a 1974 Zieleman type special. I also own a Trek 770 kitted out in campy ten speed.
My latest project is a 1979 DeRosa, I've been collecting campy super record bits for the build. I need to get into the paint booth before I start building it

I'd recommend an intro track class to anyone, riding the boards is the most fun I've had on a bike in a long time.

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2,760 of 4,427

Yeah, I ride 'cross...or should say I did.  I crashed a couple of weeks ago and dislocated my right collarbone pretty badly.  Had to have a screw put in to hold it in position so it can heal correctly. Also trashed my helmet and broke the top tube on my Ridley X-Fire.  Glad this **** doesn't happen listening to my HD800s!

Regarding taking your road bike cyclo-crossing, you may have some challenges with tire clearance since most CX tires are 700x33; your road brakes may not give you enough clearance.  You can prolly get away using road brakes in LA if the tires fit, but up here in Seattle it would never work because mud will going to jam up the wheels.  That's why CX bikes use cantilever or disc brakes.

Thanks for weighing-in. Sorry to hear about your accident and we all wish you a speedy recovery. It's comforting to know you have good gear and music to assist! I know nuthin' about CX and obviously only considered using what I've got (saving $$$?). Guess I'll just look for a ride Pre-Owned on CL or somethin'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back