Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #2,701 of 4,419
@ Last! My new Cervelo S5 spec'd out with:

- Roval Rapide CLX 60 Wheelset
- COBB Gen2 saddle
- Shimano Dura Ace PD-9000 pedals

Silly mobile! The Silver in the pix is off, but I never got my grubby lil' hands on the Nikon... not yet
rolleyes.gif
 anyway. Below, a few observations I've made:

- It's light... 
tongue_smile.gif
and it's fast. 
- Tight tolerances. I can only fit two Quarters stacked together between bottom tube and front tire. Perhaps 
eek.gif
 a clipping of hair clearance in the rear.
- Admittedly, I am human. But, I think I'm love. 
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #2,702 of 4,419

- COBB Gen2 saddle

Silly mobile! The Silver in the pix is off, but I never got my grubby lil' hands on the Nikon... not yet:rolleyes:  anyway. Below, a few observations I've made:

- It's light... :tongue_smile: and it's fast. 
- Tight tolerances. I can only fit two Quarters stacked together between bottom tube and front tire. Perhaps :eek:  a clipping of hair clearance in the rear.
- Admittedly, I am human. But, I think I'm love. :wink:

That is a nice ride. I had to look up Roval's offerings again to believe that they were in the carbon game. I remember their star wheels as being.. well, not well received in the community.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #2,703 of 4,419

- COBB Gen2 saddle

Silly mobile! The Silver in the pix is off, but I never got my grubby lil' hands on the Nikon... not yet
rolleyes.gif

- It's light... 
tongue_smile.gif
and it's fast. 
- Tight tolerances. I can only fit two Quarters stacked together between bottom tube and front tire. Perhaps 
eek.gif
wink.gif

That really is a thing of beauty!  

Creaky old me would never be able to get comfortable on something like that....but I wish I'd had a bike that nice 20 years ago.
smile.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #2,706 of 4,419
In regards to the speed thing, I clocked in at 40mph (65.5kmph) on my fathers old raleigh record ace, with 27mm tires that were pumped up to about 60psi...
That was terrifying, the tires were way under inflated and started getting horrible wobble, not helped by the bike being too large for me really...
but then on my bike I've hit about 44mph down a hill, with 25mm tires and 100psi, and it's fitted for me, that felt considerably safer/slower than going slightly slower on my fathers bike.
and then I remember getting my oooolllllddd bike up to 30mph and almost crashing because it wobbled so violently at that pace.
Idk, how fast it feels depends on the conditions, bike, fit, and road surface in my experience. I do like to use a trip computer to help me keep my pace up so I don't slow down when I start to tire out.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,707 of 4,419
My Father was a novice downhill ski racer. He fell at 60 mph. The snow took and tore his jacket and his pants were shredded. He said the two dangers are hitting a tree and not knowing where you will finally land. He almost went off a cliff.

I downhilled on roller blades. When the speed wobbles hit I just held my leg solid and kinda prayed till it was over. In my early youth I was a downhill skateboarder. We would tighten everything up and had no issues at all if the board was long. Fastest I have been on a skateboard is 40 mph. Not really all that fun. Just crazy. You can really only do it a couple times. I did fall once at high speed. I was hurt more than I ever have on a bike.

There was some races were the skaters wore leather and helmets too. Not sure if it is done anymore. It's really dangerious.:D

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,709 of 4,419
  Good goin' Swift Silent One!

Thanks. However, we 
wink_face.gif
 all know where I drew my inspiration from. Since I've been appearing in this thread the past few years, I really do appreciate the contributions you made, the stories you have told and the pix you have shared.

I was sidelined off the bike for a very long time, due to illness; disability. Your own tales of woes and comebacks gave me inspiration during this stretch. I told myself that whenever I get myself straightened out and could walk-jog-ride again, a new bike shall be my reward. It's been a wonderful week.
beerchug.gif

And if that wasn't enough, your pix
tongue_smile.gif
got me wanting to visit Hawaii for the very first time!

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2,710 of 4,419

- COBB Gen2 saddle

rolleyes.gif

- It's light... 
tongue_smile.gif
and it's fast. 
eek.gif
wink.gif

That thing is so freaking sexy! If it was legal I would marry it.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #2,711 of 4,419
Y'all really do deserve a better pix, better lighting. Perhaps in a week... if I hasn't gotten
eek.gif
scratched or
mad.gif
stolen. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2,712 of 4,419
Silent notes made audible... and visible.

Earlier today, hit the streets for the very first time in mild weather testing. I'm at once getting acquainted and getting feedback for my fitter and mechanic. Will return to the shop in 30 days with notes and have 'em fine tune this bad boy. Surprisingly, the initial fit is very close. But additional mileage will have a lot to say about that. Especially at the end of rides. I bought aero clip-ons but will wait before I throw 'em on.

It was a pedestrian 17 miles - starting, stopping, looking, listening and feeling for most of it. 
popcorn.gif

:  :  Ride

Not knowing what to expect and fearing the worse (harsh), the ride is surprisingly comfortable yet taut. I really took to liking the Conti 4000s on the previous machine. The S5 came with Vittoria Diamante Pro Light 700x23 slick thread. I like slick. "25's" would increase comfort further but simply would not fit. The saddle - COBB Gen2 - is making a contribution here as well. It's design addresses the sit bones to the rear. And the nose of the seat slopes down to prevent numbness and/or tingling. 

:  :  Comfort

Nothing about the bike is out of reach or too scrunched up. Standing, sitting, leaning, cruising or jumping on it for a quick burst of speed, all of my limbs and torso seem well positioned for operations.

:  :  Call & response

This bike will have you ride with purpose. I find it very responsive; stable. I could use a bit more time getting acclimated - handles well but could mislead one into believing it's twitchy. And this gets back to my original statement about purpose. It simply wants something to do and awaits instruction from its operator. If you're going to get on the bike and dilly-dally, you could do that at home. No-no, this bike is itching for a scratch and simply sends gentle reminders it wants to perform just for you.

In one stretch of unblocked buildings on the route, I was surprised by a gust of wind blasting from the side - it moved me off the line and almost in to traffic. But just as quick as I got in trouble, I got out without overly compensating. The same impact on the Schwinn would have mattered less due to the heavier steel and not having a broadside bottom tube. At this writing, so far, so good - when I ask this machine to do something, the response has been very satisfying.

Still no digital cam in sight... but don't let that stop us
wink_face.gif
from sharing pizza & pictures on bicycle-fi!

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #2,713 of 4,419
Such a beautiful bike, SO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back