Bicycle-Fi!
Aug 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #2,626 of 4,419
Bought a new bike because my road bike got stolen while I was shopping.  Couldn't find a cheap road bike on Craigslist, but found a cheap foldable mountain bike.  I talked the seller down to $100 :)  I really wanted it just for the frame because I do a lot of traveling.  It fit in the back seat of my 2door Subaru and I'll attempt to take this on a plane with me overseas.

I'm going to convert it to a singlespeed though because I hate riding bikes with gears.  I'm much faster on a singlespeed, but I think it's because my previous bike was half the weight.
Plan to also change the tires to something with less rolling resistance.  Taking off the shifters and cables may drop a few pounds ;/

If you think you're going to lose a few pounds by removing cables and levers, I'm afraid you may be in for a rude awakening.

That is one of the cooler looking foldable bikes I've seen though.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2,627 of 4,419
I should just change the tires to something more for road use though right?  I assume stubby tires slow me down a bit.
I don't really know anything about bike tires/wheels...Could I use 700c or do I have to use mountain bike tires?
Something like this?
http://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Tires/Intense-Tires-Micro-Knobby-26-DJ-Tire

The pedals are stock and fold inward.  Kinda annoying because I can only use one side as the other has a bolt sticking out of it that you rotate to fold the pedal in.  The kool part is that no matter how much you spin the pedals, they magically face upward.

Nooo, don't say it's a kool bike.   They said that about my last bike and it got stolen T^T....

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #2,628 of 4,419
Quote:
I should just change the tires to something more for road use though right?  I assume stubby tires slow me down a bit.
I don't really know anything about bike tires/wheels...Could I use 700c or do I have to use mountain bike tires?
Something like this?

The pedals are stock and fold inward.  Kinda annoying because I can only use one side as the other has a bolt sticking out of it that you rotate to fold the pedal in.  The kool part is that no matter how much you spin the pedals, they magically face upward.

Nooo, don't say it's a kool bike.   They said that about my last bike and it got stolen T^T....

Well, your bike's wheels look like 26" to me, so you should go for that.

If you won't go off road go for slicks, better in every way.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #2,629 of 4,419
Quote:
Something like this?

Quote:
Well, your bike's wheels look like 26" to me, so you should go for that.

If you won't go off road go for slicks, better in every way.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/tire/specialized/fatboy/prd_354794_151crx.aspx

Right now I have just changed over to some 26 inch semi-smooth tires. Took a chance on some really cheep China rubber. I run tires rated at 65psi at 75psi and I'm just there with ride satisfaction. Still no good in sprints. Still a fun choice as they were $4:50 each. lol.

Fatboy tires are $20.00 each.

If your looking for the legend of getting a fast mountain bike road tire, the Specialized Fatboy are unmatched for speed and quality. The gig here is that you can go to a full 100psi and because they are smooth as a baby's azz they have almost no resistance road contact.

Even after all my years of changing tires I go back to Fatboy tires. I own four pair now, two in use and two in back-up. The sidewalls also have a nice rigid feel when doing corners. The new China tires I just purchased double reminded me why Fatboys rule!

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,630 of 4,419
I'll probably go with the Vee Rubber Vee12, for dual purpose use. Here's the 2013 El Mariachi SS 29er, with the 38mm Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tire mounted for test rides. The Vittoria's are on the cyclocross commuter bike now. 

Check out the slideshow--its pretty cool.

http://www.veerubber.co.th/2013/?p=1543&cur-cat=bicycle 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/9395183762/

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #2,631 of 4,419
Quote:
I'll probably go with the Vee Rubber Vee12, for dual purpose use. Here's the 2013 El Mariachi SS 29er, with the 38mm Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tire mounted for test rides. The Vittoria's are on the cyclocross commuter bike now. 

Nice photos on Flickr.

I lost my line for a split second, going down a hill two days ago. Pulled out OK and all. Those cliff shots reminded me of it. Where I ride it is really safe except those few places that if you did go off the road you would fly about 200 feet. I'm always aware of it. Looks like your road though has nice guard rails on the cliffs. I'm sure not everywhere.

I'm on Bali Island not Hawaii.

On a positive note, I just found two 50 dollar Euro Bills laying on the road while climbing a hill on my bike! It's so cool to go riding and find money. lol. Comes out to about $136.00 US.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2,632 of 4,419
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #2,636 of 4,419
Ugh, I currently have 3 bikes (ss, road, and hardtail 29er)
My parents thought that was getting execissve right before I moved out, I'm in a tiny flat now where I can only sensibly store one bike, so I have the road with me, but I miss the ss for kicking about the city in, and the mountain for the trails, as there are a few near where I live now. And to make it worse, my closest friend who has always been a bmx rider, has finally bought a proper sized bike, albeit an urban dirtjump bike (we both live in the city now) and I'm having to resist urges to buy one so I can muck around with him. But I don't have the space for it. And I'm saving for a guitar not for a bike. And I hate being someone that enjoys consumables.
This is all the internets fault.

But on the other hand, I will have a collection of bikes when I have more space, and money.
My girlfriend doesn't bat an eyelid that I have 3 bikes, but she generally thinks I'm mad anyway...

On the ss vs gears front, I'm a rake of a lad, 5 foot 9, and 58kg. my ss is running a 52:18 gear, and while it does ride very nicely, I find my self spinning very quickly on flats, and I can easily spin it out on any hills, moderate hills I can keep pace on, and steep hills are a bit of a PITA, acceleration is not something I'm good at, I'm light, but I don't have a lot of power to lay down, so my first 2 strokes on the ss are pretty slow, then I can get it spinning well.

On my road bike, I tend to us a fairly similar gear to the ss most of the time, I'm not someone that likes flicking around gears too much, but I will change up for slight downhills so as not to spin out, and I'll change chainrings for very steep hills. It doesn't always feel as fast being on a road bike, because the pedal feel is a little slacker and mushy feeling from the longer chain and indirect chain line, I still go faster overall on the road bike, even though is has 25mm tires, which feel waaay worse than the 23's on the ss. I love the ss, I love the simplicity, I love the way it looks, but after riding it for a few weeks, I look at my road bike and remember laying down those longer rides I used to do. that being said, I find the best way personally to keep pace is to pick a cruising speed for the ride, and ensure I never drop below it. that's how I enjoy pushing myself to keep a pace up.

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,638 of 4,419
Quote:
Quote:

Nice photos on Flickr.

I lost my line for a split second, going down a hill two days ago. Pulled out OK and all. Those cliff shots reminded me of it. Where I ride it is really safe except those few places that if you did go off the road you would fly about 200 feet. I'm always aware of it. Looks like your road though has nice guard rails on the cliffs. I'm sure not everywhere.

I'm on Bali Island not Hawaii.

On a positive note, I just found two 50 dollar Euro Bills laying on the road while climbing a hill on my bike! It's so cool to go riding and find money. lol. Comes out to about $136.00 US.

Lucky you. :) Its a beautiful place--great surf. 

That hill (Kamehame Ridge) with the guard rail on one side is a gated utility access road. One of my favorite little climbs--3.63k climbing dist, 1085 climbing ft, 18% max grade. 

Here's a vid I made yesterday, looking at that ridge from a (hiked) summit peak at about north northwest.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #2,639 of 4,419
Am I the only one that doesn't like stickers and brands on their bikes?  It's a bit of work to take them off, but I think they look better without them.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #2,640 of 4,419
Quote:

Lucky you. :) Its a beautiful place--great surf. 

That hill (Kamehame Ridge) with the guard rail on one side is a gated utility access road. One of my favorite little climbs--3.63k climbing dist, 1085 climbing ft, 18% max grade. 

Here's a vid I made yesterday, looking at that ridge from a (hiked) summit peak at about north northwest.

beerchug.gif
  I think that is what life is about. Appreciating the simple things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back