Bicycle-Fi!
Jul 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2,581 of 4,419
Don't rule out a higher-end but pre-owned ride... BIG Bang for the buck and you could grow in to it. Sorry, no entry level recommendation at this time.

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2,582 of 4,419
Giant makes killer entry level. Really if its something you are gonna use, you need ultegra level components

I second the above, one can find a wicked used ride for cheap that gets you into much better component spec.

Try roadbikereview or pink bike

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2,583 of 4,419
Agreed. 'Cause the thing is, once the new rider develops, they'll be looking for more machine but may not be able to upgrade just yet.

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #2,584 of 4,419
+2. I just finished reading up on bicycle tires for the last day or so and I've settled onto the GP4000S in black for my commuter/light touring bicycle. Any other GP4000S color (ie. red) supposedly does not contain the "state of the art" black chili rubber compound.

Thanks a lot, I completely forgot about that issue..... Mm so that's gotta be black.

Don't rule out a higher-end but pre-owned ride... BIG Bang for the buck and you could grow in to it. Sorry, no entry level recommendation at this time.

Indeed. Don't forget that I've paid 700 bucks for my bike.

Giant makes killer entry level. Really if its something you are gonna use, you need ultegra level components

Why? Bikes with tiagra or 105 are perfectly fine. I highly doubt that the average rider will be able to distinguish them on shifting performance alone. I know I can't.

If I were to buy something new I'd rather have a good frame/fork and good wheels and a group a tier lower than the contrary.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #2,585 of 4,419
Quote:
Can I get some input on an entry level road bike? I've never owned a road bike before, and I was looking into spending $1000 or less. The Giant Defy 1 catches my eye, but should I go for something less expensive or should I get a cheaper bike and get upgrades? Suggestions would be much appreciated!

Giant is an example of great Taiwan value. Where I live in Asia 50% of the mountain bikes are ATX pro frames. 6061 aluminum I think. Don't know how great their road bikes are?

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #2,587 of 4,419
I did an amazing thing today. Just purchased some new cycle shoes. For fun I took my old shoes apart and found that I could place the cleat and sole of the old shoes inside an old pair of running shoes. I then took a red hot knife and carved the place for the peddle to go inside the sole of the running shoes.

Just went for a two hour ride, they have less support than bike shoes but super comfy to wear, plus you can walk around like wearing normal shoes. :D

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #2,588 of 4,419
I did an amazing thing today. Just purchased some new cycle shoes. For fun I took my old shoes apart and found that I could place the cleat and sole of the old shoes inside an old pair of running shoes. I then took a red hot knife and carved the place for the peddle to go inside the sole of the running shoes.

Just went for a two hour ride, they have less support than bike shoes but super comfy to wear, plus you can walk around like wearing normal shoes. :D

That's very cool ! Pics or it didn't happen ; D

As for me, I took the beaten path and just bought a pair of Gaerne G Keira Plus on sale at crc. Handmade in Italy for 120 bucks, can't do much better than that.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2,589 of 4,419
That's very cool ! Pics or it didn't happen ; D

As for me, I took the beaten path and just bought a pair of Gaerne G Keira Plus on sale at crc. Handmade in Italy for 120 bucks, can't do much better than that.

Nice. I think the last pair of leather Italian road shoes I used was in 1986. Just picked up a pair of the new Shamono Mo88 mountain bike shoes. Found em for $100.

I have not been able to post photos for awhile here. I'll look into why. The bottom of the shoes I made actually look a little ugly after my handy work. No one sees the bottom though.

The thing with running shoes is that they are made on purpose to be a little wide on the bottom to give the foot support. They are working out though. It made me realize that as long as I keep using spd clippless I could just keep modifying old running shoes and have comfy ridding for ever.

I have not finished mounting cleats on the new shoes but I have a feeling already the old shoes I made are going to be faster and feel way better.

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #2,590 of 4,419
Quote:
Nice. I think the last pair of leather Italian road shoes I used was in 1986. Just picked up a pair of the new Shamono Mo88 mountain bike shoes. Found em for $100.

I have not been able to post photos for awhile here. I'll look into why. The bottom of the shoes I made actually look a little ugly after my handy work. No one sees the bottom though.

The thing with running shoes is that they are made on purpose to be a little wide on the bottom to give the foot support. They are working out though. It made me realize that as long as I keep using spd clippless I could just keep modifying old running shoes and have comfy ridding for ever.

I have not finished mounting cleats on the new shoes but I have a feeling already the old shoes I made are going to be faster and feel way better.

i've done that with hiking boots to make hike'n'bike shoes.  the only problem is there is so little sole support.  this will rob you of power (which you may not care about at all) but more importantly in my experience can also create weird hot spots on the foot after longer distances, probably due to the shoe flexing in odd ways.  this was very bad and could lead to long term problems

if it works for you, awesome!  but keep an eye on the flexing and make sure it doesn't bother you, even a little bit!  because cycling is so repetitive motion based, even a small thing can turn bad

i've now gone to vibram sole MTB shoes even on the road bike, it is a good compromise between sole stiffness and practicality plus they tend to look a bit less stupid LOL.  good luck, i hope it works for you cause bike shoes suck to keep buying every 2 seasons

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #2,594 of 4,419
i've done that with hiking boots to make hike'n'bike shoes.  the only problem is there is so little sole support.  this will rob you of power (which you may not care about at all) but more importantly in my experience can also create weird hot spots on the foot after longer distances, probably due to the shoe flexing in odd ways.  this was very bad and could lead to long term problems

if it works for you, awesome!  but keep an eye on the flexing and make sure it doesn't bother you, even a little bit!  because cycling is so repetitive motion based, even a small thing can turn bad

i've now gone to vibram sole MTB shoes even on the road bike, it is a good compromise between sole stiffness and practicality plus they tend to look a bit less stupid LOL.  good luck, i hope it works for you cause bike shoes suck to keep buying every 2 seasons

I actually placed the spd sole inside of the running shoe. At first I was not sure there would be room after placing the running insert back on top, but all is fine. The reason it worked was how perfect the sole fitted inside. Yes, it is not quite as stiff, but amazingly smooth and fast on climbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back