Bicycle-Fi!
Jul 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #2,566 of 4,427
Just ordered one of these for *hopefully* a final commuter build (single speed). Not too keen about having to deal with canti brake set up again, but oh well. Got a pair of 38mm Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tires. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46195580@N03/5099798734/

I recently read a small interview with a bike shop mechanic who rides the same bike as me, a Lemond fixed gear. He puts in an insane 35 miles to and 35 miles from everyday. At 70 miles a day, what was interesting is he did say having a single speed made adjustments and maintenance easy. He said he did enjoy how simple everything in the drive train was.

He did replace his front chain ring for a steel one instead of the common aluminum one. He also found a special hardend steel rear cog which also added rear wear resistance.

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,567 of 4,427
There was a time in my twenties where I did a daily 15 mile ride to work and 15 mile ride home. Cutting it close and leaving the house a little late with just enough time to get to work always guaranteed me a nice sprint or two.:D

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,568 of 4,427
Quote:
Indeed, I've considered it back in my "hybrid days". Pretty expensive though, just like any IGH+belt driven bike...

EDIT: It looks like you can easily attach racks and fender on it, it might qualify as a pretty handy commuter.

Yes..........way too expensive but I can get by that easily because it looks so cool.  For a around town bike this would be my easy choice!

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2,569 of 4,427
Quote:
Quote:
Just ordered one of these for *hopefully* a final commuter build (single speed). Not too keen about having to deal with canti brake set up again, but oh well. Got a pair of 38mm Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tires. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46195580@N03/5099798734/

I recently read a small interview with a bike shop mechanic who rides the same bike as me, a Lemond fixed gear. He puts in an insane 35 miles to and 35 miles from everyday. At 70 miles a day, what was interesting is he did say having a single speed made adjustments and maintenance easy. He said he did enjoy how simple everything in the drive train was.

He did replace his front chain ring for a steel one instead of the common aluminum one. He also found a special hardend steel rear cog which also added rear wear resistance.

If not for my knee health, for sure I'd have a fixed gear. Have had a couple through the years. I'm at the point where it almost looks like I need to husband my injuries, or face the end of my cycling activities. Neither are very attractive alternatives.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #2,570 of 4,427
Quote:
Yes..........way too expensive but I can get by that easily because it looks so cool.  For a around town bike this would be my easy choice!

Life is short, if you like it buy it. That's what I did with my bike and I couldn't be any happier !

Now, from a more rational viewpoint, there are many IGH+B commuters out there. Just for information purposes check out that site : http://beltbik.es/

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #2,571 of 4,427
Quote:

If not for my knee health, for sure I'd have a fixed gear. Have had a couple through the years. I'm at the point where it almost looks like I need to husband my injuries, or face the end of my cycling activities. Neither are very attractive alternatives.

Hope your knees hold up for a very long time. Your pix in this thread along with your views and experience have been priceless to me! You single-handedly got me wanting to move to Hawaii... never before interested! 
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2,572 of 4,427

Don't know exactly what your knee issues are. I come from a family with genetic knee issues, my father has two replacements. I used to lift weights and gained a ton of weight. My knees started to bug me. After loosing 30lbs and eating right all my knee issues went away. They actually started to hurt when riding the bike at first but after four weeks of riding everyday the knee pain stopped. I'm 52 in March. So I always guess there is hope.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2,573 of 4,427

I have serious knee issues, and as long as I do it right the fixed gear helps my knees, it works some different muscles. By done right, I mean with brakes :wink:

Some of the best rides I've had lately are on single track with the fixed gear CX bike!

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2,574 of 4,427
I miss
frown.gif
 riding on the Velodrome. Hope to change that around later this autumn, when I return to working out at the Home Depot Center, Carson.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #2,575 of 4,427
I was wondering : what do the road bikers here use as for tires? I've got some mavics yksion pros on. I've thought about picking up some Conti GP4000S in red.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #2,577 of 4,427
Quote:
I was wondering : what do the road bikers here use as for tires? I've got some mavics yksion pros on. I've thought about picking up some Conti GP4000S in red.

Quote:

Conti GP4000S... black.

+2. I just finished reading up on bicycle tires for the last day or so and I've settled onto the GP4000S in black for my commuter/light touring bicycle. Any other GP4000S color (ie. red) supposedly does not contain the "state of the art" black chili rubber compound.

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,579 of 4,427
Can I get some input on an entry level road bike? I've never owned a road bike before, and I was looking into spending $1000 or less. The Giant Defy 1 catches my eye, but should I go for something less expensive or should I get a cheaper bike and get upgrades? Suggestions would be much appreciated!

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #2,580 of 4,427
Quote:
Can I get some input on an entry level road bike? I've never owned a road bike before, and I was looking into spending $1000 or less. The Giant Defy 1 catches my eye, but should I go for something less expensive or should I get a cheaper bike and get upgrades? Suggestions would be much appreciated!

I looked at what stores were around me, and went to check out bikes, The specialized store near me do professional set ups and have a great workshop in store, they give you a fitting and advice, and a years free labour on the bike you buy, they were professional, and ordered me a previous years model at a much discounted price. No other store in my area had service like that.  I would reccommend checking out the stores near you rather than looking at brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back