Bicycle-Fi!
Jun 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #2,551 of 4,419
My first road bicycle. I picked it up locally last month and have since put somewhere around 100 miles on her. I don't know what took me so long to get one (vintage and road bike), but this thing could easily replace my mountain bike commuter with Panaracer slicks and my single speed if I needed to slim down the herd. It's an '88 Miele Azsora with double butted Tange tubing and Columbus dropouts.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2,553 of 4,419
What's the word on bike trainers and does anyone have one they'd recommend?

Specifically one that would work with an internal hub.

The best trainer are rollers. They are by far the most fun to use, since you have to balance like a real ride. The downside is they do not provide resistance, so you're stuck with the gears you have. I would always recommend rollers but usually they aren't cheap and can be hard to find

The next best are fluid trainers, they are generally quiet and can be made to offer massive resistance, but don't buy a cheap one. After that are mag trainers, they are cheap for even higher end, the resistance is not great but it is there

Most trainers will work with any bike, usually it's a change of skewer to fit the trainer except rollers which don't change anything on the bike. No trainer likes knobby tires.

Even better, get some studs / the right bike and ride in all weather conditions and forget the trainer :wink:

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,554 of 4,419
What's the word on bike trainers and does anyone have one they'd recommend?

Specifically one that would work with an internal hub.

The best trainer are rollers. They are by far the most fun to use, since you have to balance like a real ride. The downside is they do not provide resistance, so you're stuck with the gears you have. I would always recommend rollers but usually they aren't cheap and can be hard to find

The next best are fluid trainers, they are generally quiet and can be made to offer massive resistance, but don't buy a cheap one. After that are mag trainers, they are cheap for even higher end, the resistance is not great but it is there

Most trainers will work with any bike, usually it's a change of skewer to fit the trainer except rollers which don't change anything on the bike. No trainer likes knobby tires.

Even better, get some studs / the right bike and ride in all weather conditions and forget the trainer :wink:

I considered rollers but I don't feel like dropping $400+. I'm hoping to hit a $150 price-point.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,555 of 4,419
Jul 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,556 of 4,419
Jul 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,557 of 4,419
Beautiful!
beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #2,559 of 4,419
Anyone seen those Scott Sub 10 bikes?  No chain but belt.  Commuter bike with hydraulic discs.  Really cool!

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #2,560 of 4,419
Quote:
Anyone seen those Scott Sub 10 bikes?  No chain but belt.  Commuter bike with hydraulic discs.  Really cool!

Indeed, I've considered it back in my "hybrid days". Pretty expensive though, just like any IGH+belt driven bike...

EDIT: It looks like you can easily attach racks and fender on it, it might qualify as a pretty handy commuter.

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2,561 of 4,419
Quote:
I rock a Montague hummer.  Wont win any races but it folds in half and fits in my trunk!
http://hummer-bike.com/bikes/hummer-bike-fold1.jpg

Looks cool !

beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #2,562 of 4,419
Just ordered one of these for *hopefully* a final commuter build (single speed). Not too keen about having to deal with canti brake set up again, but oh well. Got a pair of 38mm Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tires. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46195580@N03/5099798734/

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #2,564 of 4,419
Quote:
Just ordered one of these for *hopefully* a final commuter build (single speed). Not too keen about having to deal with canti brake set up again, but oh well. Got a pair of 38mm Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tires. 

It looks great but may I know why you want a single speed? What happened to the Schwinn frame?

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #2,565 of 4,419
Quote:
Quote:

It looks great but may I know why you want a single speed? What happened to the Schwinn frame?

Singlespeed for the quiet simplicity, and mostly flatland commuting. Will start out with 44x18 gearing, which will allow some *gnarly* climbing ability. With the 38mm tires I think that puts me around 20mph @ 100rpm.

My knees have all of a sudden been bothering so maybe it'll get gears later, along the lines of a cyclocross-style 1x9.

Probably will sell the Schwinn cheap, give it away, or donate it to the University bicycle lend/lease program. Might use it for a while till the Black Mountain Monstercross gets built, which will be a couple of months. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back