Bicycle-Fi!
May 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,431 of 4,419
Quote:
Quote:

You're trying to remove the pedals? Hope this helps. Some pedals need the dedicated pedal wrench, some need a hex (and maybe a dead blow hammer).

My Peg is pending sale today. Have a 2000 Serotta Atlanta coming in. Am also about one year out, on the queue for a custom steel frame from Dave Kirk.    

I'm gonna take it to the mechanic. I've tried everything (including sticking the hex inside a one meter long steel tube...)

Sad about the Pegoretti... May I know why you're selling it? Did you get rid of it or is it just to try something new?

There's much regret seeing it go, but multiple road frames don't work for me very well. My eye is on the custom in 12-15 months time. After the Peg, the Atlanta will help me focus on what I want in the custom frame. Bikes become tools after you get them dirty for the first time.

May 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2,432 of 4,419
Quote:

I'm gonna take it to the mechanic. I've tried everything (including sticking the hex inside a one meter long steel tube...)

Dumb question probably, but you are turning the pedals the right way...right?  right pedal = right hand thread

i only ask cause it's a common mistake, when i worked at a shop i got some people who actually split the cranks from tightening the pedal so hard when they thought they were removing it

soaking in WD-40 / PB blaster / similar can help...the really, really stuck ones can be removed using ammonia.  when you reinstall pedals, use a ton of heavy grease!

May 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,433 of 4,419
Quote:
Dumb question probably, but you are turning the pedals the right way...right?  right pedal = right hand thread

i only ask cause it's a common mistake, when i worked at a shop i got some people who actually split the cranks from tightening the pedal so hard when they thought they were removing it

soaking in WD-40 / PB blaster / similar can help...the really, really stuck ones can be removed using ammonia.  when you reinstall pedals, use a ton of heavy grease!

Of course !

My mechanic wants 50 bucks for a complete check up and the pedal change. That's way less than a new chorus crankset...

May 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #2,435 of 4,419
May 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,437 of 4,419
I own a few bikes but I just built a new track bike. 
Some of the parts I had lying around and the rest I bought from ebay. 
I didn't really spend that much building this bike.

OEM Chian Frame.
Hed H3 front wheel.
Hed 50mm carbon rim with a novatec hub.
Shimano Ultegra cranks with a 45T track chainring.
Fizik aliante carbon saddle.
Crank Brothers 5050 pedals (I also have a demo 7 downhill bike and I had these lying around).
Truvativ Stem.
ITM drop bars.
Orbea carbon seat post.

I own an outerwear company called Hubble Outerwear and did all of the graphic design work for this bike with our vinyl plotter (I redid the hed logos too).

There is a new velodrome opening near me soon and I can't wait to ride it!  Right now I ride this as a commuter (to places that I don't have to lock it up at), and have done some recreational sprinting on it too.  

May 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2,439 of 4,419
Quote:

I own an outerwear company called Hubble Outerwear and did all of the graphic design work for this bike with our vinyl plotter (I redid the hed logos too).

There is a new velodrome opening near me soon and I can't wait to ride it!  Right now I ride this as a commuter (to places that I don't have to lock it up at), and have done some recreational sprinting on it too.  

Great! I'm looking forward to riding @ The Velo Sports Center | Home Depot Center complex, Carson, CA. Perhaps, autumn. Wonder what the altitude will be at your new track...

May 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #2,440 of 4,419
Wow, black seems to be in fashion still. Talking of black has anyone seen the new trend of cheep carbon frames from China on ebay. Many builders are building full bikes around these carbon frames, so it makes you think that they are not bad. A carbon frame directly sent from China for 3 to 4 hundred US dollars?

When carbon came out in 1990 bikes were 9K. These builders are Basicly saying that all the carbon frames by all the major manufactures are made in China anyway? It seems there may be venders where you may be able to source a quality carbon frame.

May 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2,441 of 4,419
Quote:
Wow, black seems to be in fashion still. Talking of black has anyone seen the new trend of cheep carbon frames from China on ebay. Many builders are building full bikes around these carbon frames, so it makes you think that they are not bad. A carbon frame directly sent from China for 3 to 4 hundred US dollars?

When carbon came out in 1990 bikes were 9K. These builders are Basicly saying that all the carbon frames by all the major manufactures are made in China anyway? It seems there may be venders where you may be able to source a quality carbon frame.

I've read about them on a bike forum I go onto, there not real CF. 

May 7, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #2,442 of 4,419
The way Chinese bikes work might be considered somewhat unethical.  There are no international patent laws and Chinese manufactures end up producing OEM frames from other companies designs.  This happens all the time from China and other similar countries (especially in the apparel industry).  Some big companies buy OEM China frames (or from another similar country) and rebrand them.  They don't end up being the top tier frame for that company but the fact that this happens has to speak for their quality (I read somewhere that BMC did or does this but I haven't looked into it).   

I don't know about cheap Chinese carbon frames, but I wouldn't be against trying one.  
The fact of the matter is that most non-pros probably wouldn't benefit from riding a carbon frame over an aluminum frame (and similarly a Chinese carbon frame compared to a non-Chinese carbon frame).  They are just fun to own and spend money on.  

May 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #2,445 of 4,419
Quote:

Black will always be in fashion with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back