Bicycle-Fi!
Apr 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #2,371 of 4,419
Quote:
I run Shiamano Spd-sl standard pedals onto Shimano Rd64 shoes, because they were cheap, fitted me well and were readily available.
Really you need to hit up a bike store and them out, the different brands that produce clipless systems that come to mind are:
Shimano (spd and spd-sl), Look (keo range for road cycling), Speedplay, Time, and Crankbrothers (eggbeaters)
Things to consider are:
-How easily you can clip in/out vs how likely you are to unclip accidentally (which is really bad if it happens apparently, has never happened to me though)
-platform size (a small platform puts more pressure on a single point of your shoe, meaning it will have more stress in certain places, and probably won't last as long, small platforms are light though, if you're a weight weenie inclined kinda person)
-availability, if they're hard to get, chances are it's hard to get replacements parts (cleats especially) which can be a PITA if you need them urgently, ie plan ahead...
-price (well, yeah, to few, money may be no object, but for most, it is certainly a large factor, it's a huge factor in what I run)
-walkability of the cleats (depends how much you need to walk off the bike, I have to walk through train stations, up stairs etc in my cleats, and it really sucks. big road cleats are awful for walking in....
-probably lots of things I've forgotten,...

The other thing I would think about is your knees..

Some folks complain that Crank brothers and speed play let your foot pivot and that bothers there knees.

I like my egg beaters and my wife also likes her Crank brothers candies as they are easer to get in and out of.

R-

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #2,372 of 4,419
Quote:
The other thing I would think about is your knees..

Some folks complain that Crank brothers and speed play let your foot pivot and that bothers there knees.

I like my egg beaters and my wife also likes her Crank brothers candies as they are easer to get in and out of.

R-

Wow, I've never once heard that in all my years of cycling.  I often, though, hear the opposite; that if you're pigeon toed or splay-footed a pedal that allows foot pivot, like the Speed Play or Crank Bro's will help avoid knee pain or injury..

It's even the reason I first tried the Crank brothers.  Others that didn't allow any movement and forced my foot to be rigidly straight forward hurt my knees within just a few blocks.

I have, though, heard some people complain about "hot spots" with Eggbeaters.  I've never once experienced that even when riding centuries but then I also never find Brook's saddles painful, even when not broken in, so I'm a bit unusual.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2,373 of 4,419
Cheers dude, I I've been looking at the Shimano Saints, and The Spank Spikes, as both are avilable fairly locally to me, the saints are 2/3's the price of the saints, so I'm trying to work out what I'm willing to spend.. the spikes seem well designed in terms of rock strike with the beveled edges. I'm currently just riding single track trails, to get my riding confidence up, and learning some techniques, I'd love to do some more intense riding, but  baby steps for now...

those pedals of yours look like epic shin shredders to me :eek:

as much as I like my mentals, they are overkill for pretty munch anything lol (and yes they are the best shin shredders money can buy :D). I will be getting the spank spikes once im school is out, they are easily my favorite overall pedals, however i haven't used the saints before so i cant help too much with that comparison.

also which one was cheaper?? you put saints twice^^

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2,374 of 4,419
I fear it's melting. 
size]

So no more shortcuts across the frozen river.

Btw that's part of my college in the background. Where I've been commuting to for the past 3 years. 
size]

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #2,375 of 4,419
Quote:
as much as I like my mentals, they are overkill for pretty munch anything lol (and yes they are the best shin shredders money can buy
biggrin.gif
). I will be getting the spank spikes once im school is out, they are easily my favorite overall pedals, however i haven't used the saints before so i cant help too much with that comparison.

also which one was cheaper?? you put saints twice^^

so I did >< The saints are 2/3 the price of the Spikes.
the saint's are NZD120, and the spikes are NZD180

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2,376 of 4,419
Anyone else running Shimano Ultegra pedals? I'm using them in conjunction with my Cannondale CAAD 9 Dura-Ace, and I think they're great. I forget which clips I'm using though.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #2,377 of 4,419
I have 2 sets of Dura Ace, 7810 and 7900, yellow cleats. I've found variation in cleats, specifically the tightness or looseness of how they fit in the pedal, not only in how they click in but also in the freeness of rotation and float. One was a little tighter (the best) than another two, and one way looser. The latter I don't plan to use unless I need to, and maybe cleat tension might solve the issue. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #2,378 of 4,419
Upgraded my bike carrier setup.  Never really liked my Thule Raceway carrier so I put on a receiver hitch and added a Kuat.  Really nice carrier.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #2,380 of 4,419
Hey everyone !

Remember me?

I've bought a bike ! FINALLY!

I'm off to my first ride ! will post pics !

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,383 of 4,419
Quote:
Please do and have a great time!

Quote:
Get on and get out there!
beerchug.gif

Thanks guys !!

I didn't have the time to snap some pics today.... But I will take some tomorrow I promise !

So, what did I buy? A rigid mountain bike? An hybrid?  A single speed commuter, maybe even belt driven?

NO

I've bought a road bike !

More precisely a 2008 Time VXR.

Carbon pretty much everything,

Campy Record titanium rear derailleur, Chorus front and crank, Centaur ergo levers,

Rotor Q rings,

Mavic Open Pro rear wheel, DT Swiss RR1.1 front (both on PMP hubs),

Mavic brakes and tires

More or less 15lbs

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,384 of 4,419
Quote:
Quote:
Please do and have a great time!

Quote:
Get on and get out there!
beerchug.gif

Thanks guys !!

I didn't have the time to snap some pics today.... But I will take some tomorrow I promise !

So, what did I buy? A rigid mountain bike? An hybrid?  A single speed commuter, maybe even belt driven?

NO

I've bought a road bike !

More precisely a 2008 Time VXR.

Carbon pretty much everything,

Campy Record titanium rear derailleur, Chorus front and crank, Centaur ergo levers,

Rotor Q rings,

Mavic Open Pro rear wheel, DT Swiss RR1.1 front (both on PMP hubs),

Mavic brakes and tires

More or less 15lbs

You animal, you. :D 

...and since you're doing more riding than taking pics, I'll cover for you with my new ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back