Bicycle-Fi!
Jan 9, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #2,176 of 4,419
Quote:
Something shiny and biked shaped coming in 5 days....
...Ok, not that shiny, but certainly bike shaped.
If anyone guesses the model then they can have many internet points (yes this is an unreasonable challenge :p )

xs64.jpg

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #2,177 of 4,419
Quote:
Yay I'm all geared up for winter!

Anyone wants to come play King of the Hill with me? =D

Or maybe hokey?

Or just go for a ride...?

They even cleared cycling path using snow blowers...

Anyone? =(

And you won't even get dirty if you use full sized fenders. 

Honestly, I would love to do that. I actually like cooler weather and snow. Wouldn't want to live in the snow having to dig myself out in the morning, but riding around looks like fun.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #2,178 of 4,419
Jan 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2,179 of 4,419
Quote:
Yay I'm all geared up for winter!

Anyone wants to come play King of the Hill with me? =D

Or maybe hokey?

Or just go for a ride...?

They even cleared cycling path using snow blowers...

Anyone? =(

And you won't even get dirty if you use full sized fenders. 

I lived in Montreal and rode my bike to work every day in the winter- it was a blast!  I had fat knobbies on the back and metal studs on the front tire.  Only slipped and fell twice (learned to brake after you get past the ice).

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #2,180 of 4,419
I have 173 stainless steel screws in those two tires. Screwed from the inside out, so the pointy ends make contact first. I can move around on ice just as easily and securely as you would on wet tarmac. 

With those tires, ice is actually the best surface to ride on. Compacted snow is also nice, unless it's layered. Layered compacted snow is a pain because it breaks under the tires, which makes your tires slide from side to side unpredictably. You have to learn how to go on a straight line even if your front wheel does not. It's highly inefficient, as you're always fighting the bike not to fall. Fresh, fluffy snow is actually better to ride in, even if there's 20 cm of it. The rolling resistance on tarmac is simply stupid, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

I can brake easily on any surface... using both brakes. 
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #2,181 of 4,419

This is the bike I rode in my mid-twenties and actually won me over being better than the Colnago Master/C Record/Delta bike I owned after. There was just a purity in how it handled. It was smooth and stiff yet could corner amazingly even with a relaxed ride.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #2,182 of 4,419
Confined to indoors for the winter.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #2,183 of 4,419
Quote:
Confined to indoors for the winter.

Nonsense, I just went for a ride yesterday in the snow, it was a little scary and probably not the best idea but it was fun.   Last weekend I went for a ride and the entire trail was covered in an inch thick layer of ice but I luckily remebered my studded tires so it was like riding on the road but I was in the woods on a dirt trail, a group of hikers that were sliding all over the place just stared at me in amazement as I bounced down the trail just as I would if it was dirt.  The only problem was if I put my foot down it would just slide right out from underneath me, there is just nothing like winter riding in New England.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2,184 of 4,419
Quote:
Nonsense, I just went for a ride yesterday in the snow, it was a little scary and probably not the best idea but it was fun.   Last weekend I went for a ride and the entire trail was covered in an inch thick layer of ice but I luckily remebered my studded tires so it was like riding on the road but I was in the woods on a dirt trail, a group of hikers that were sliding all over the place just stared at me in amazement as I bounced down the trail just as I would if it was dirt.  The only problem was if I put my foot down it would just slide right out from underneath me, there is just nothing like winter riding in New England.

I'm guessing your tires are a bit wider :D not a lot of studded options for road bikes, CC yes, but they wouldn't fit (i think) Haven't even fitted my daily rider with studs.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #2,185 of 4,419
FWIW,  Just got an email from Competitive Cyclist and they have Dura Ace Di2 on sale.  Probably last years stuff and still expensive but there it is.  Personally I would love to get the Campy Record EPS.  Much to my dismay I spoke with a guy who's ridden with both Shimano and Campy and says he's never going back to the old way..................Boy and guys here go nuts about $2K headphones!

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #2,186 of 4,419
Quote:
FWIW,  Just got an email from Competitive Cyclist and they have Dura Ace Di2 on sale.  Probably last years stuff and still expensive but there it is.  Personally I would love to get the Campy Record EPS.  Much to my dismay I spoke with a guy who's ridden with both Shimano and Campy and says he's never going back to the old way..................Boy and guys here go nuts about $2K headphones!

I'm running 2012 Chorus right now, so all that's needed is the kit, which is close to $3K coming from the UK. Not that I've decided to go electronic but if I did and went Campy, I'd wait to see through the rumor going around of a seatpost/seat tube mounted electronics/battery unit. 

I don't like most of Shimano's cassette combinations.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,187 of 4,419
Quote:

I'm running 2012 Chorus right now, so all that's needed is the kit, which is close to $3K coming from the UK. Not that I've decided to go electronic but if I did and went Campy, I'd wait to see through the rumor going around of a seatpost/seat tube mounted electronics/battery unit. 

I'm sorry to ask such a dumb question, but what's the benefit of going electronic?

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,188 of 4,419
Quote:

Why must you torment me with those beautiful pictures all the time!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2,190 of 4,419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back