Quote:
I may just save up for a Raleigh if I don't get a cat
biggrin.gif

Get a cat.

I know, I want one so bad. But parents won't allow
frown.gif
 Sad tradegy. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2,147 of 4,419
Put some new shoes on the Cervelo.  Down to 14 pounds.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #2,148 of 4,419
Quote:
Put some new shoes on the Cervelo.  Down to 14 pounds.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bikes-and-gear-features/cervelos-new-r5-vwd-road-bike

Cool!

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #2,150 of 4,419
http://old_school_cycles.tripod.com/id4.html

Speaking of Raleighs, they took over for Carlton cycle Co. and used to make the bike as the name brand. Really a good bike it it's day. I rode one in 1976. They came in wild colors like purple.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2,151 of 4,419
Quote:

If you are looking to keep it cheap then get the simplest bike you can, bikes in the low hundreds are cheap as is but when a manufacturer makes a bike with suspension and gears at that kind of price they end up being pretty much **** - no exceptions.  Your best bet is to find something simple like a single speed or fixed gear and even then I would say you should at least double your budget.  There are plenty of cheap bikes at big stores like Walmart and others, but those bikes will only last a year if you are lucky.  I did find this bike and it seems solid for the price: http://www.fixiebikes.com/brands/state-bicycle-co/zombie-stomper-green-black/

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2,152 of 4,419
Jan 5, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #2,155 of 4,419
Quote:
Hey everyone,

What do you think of this :

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_team.html

That's an urban assault vehicle, the slope geometry looks like an easy handler in traffic areas. I have a Brent Trimbal carbon mountain bike that I did that to. Great for ridding with no hands in traffic.
very_evil_smiley.gif

There are some racing bikes that you will bottom out the crank arms while pedaling in corners, this has higher cranks which allow you to forget about that racing geometry problem.

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2,156 of 4,419
Quote:
If you are looking to keep it cheap then get the simplest bike you can, bikes in the low hundreds are cheap as is but when a manufacturer makes a bike with suspension and gears at that kind of price they end up being pretty much **** - no exceptions.  Your best bet is to find something simple like a single speed or fixed gear and even then I would say you should at least double your budget.  There are plenty of cheap bikes at big stores like Walmart and others, but those bikes will only last a year if you are lucky.  I did find this bike and it seems solid for the price: http://www.fixiebikes.com/brands/state-bicycle-co/zombie-stomper-green-black/

For someone looking for a bike that cheap, I'm guess they are new to cycling. and I think that suggesting to someone new to cycling that buying a fixie is a good way to go, is crazy, a bike with no brakes, no changeable gear ratios and no freewheeling presents itself with a lot of issues... ones that a novice just shouldn't have to, and doesn't need to deal with, just by purchasing a more sensible bike.

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #2,157 of 4,419
Quote:
Quote:

For someone looking for a bike that cheap, I'm guess they are new to cycling. and I think that suggesting to someone new to cycling that buying a fixie is a good way to go, is crazy, a bike with no brakes, no changeable gear ratios and no freewheeling presents itself with a lot of issues... ones that a novice just shouldn't have to, and doesn't need to deal with, just by purchasing a more sensible bike.

Maybe up my budget? What about $600?

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #2,159 of 4,419
Quote:
 I have 2. Any pictures of yours?

So cool. Yes I purchased mine in the early 1990s. I have posted a photo before in this thread, I'll dig it up. At the time of purchase I think it may have been the second carbon Mountain Bike ever made. Brent's first traditional frame design carbon being the first. Nice photos, are those Brent's forks? I have a titanium bender fork in the front. Did you ever get a Roo Bar set?

At the time there was worry about both fracturing and oxidization and break-down ( electrolysis ) of the glue between the rear drop-outs. Amazingly, knock on wood, no separation or fractures and I weight 250lbs. The 1st gen. Kestrel I owned that Brent made before selling out did fracture in the bottom bracket. I have to note in my twenties I was pretty strong and a masher though. Looks like a cable bypass on yours. My guy always complained if he attempted to do a new cable. HA

Posted below the four humble bikes I own now. I have had some classic road bikes in the past when I was super serious about being fast. Now days I'm just having fun. Went for a two hour ride today! I just purchased a used Polygon for $260.00 usd and love it!

I still have great memories of riding the Gary Fisher Mountain Bikes in the mid 1980s. I guess I have been riding a while.
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #2,160 of 4,419
 Good collection. I've owned Trimble since 1991. Owned 6 in total a few years back. But had to sell a few as we couldn't move at home with out tripping over a Trimble. These two are 1992 custom frame paint frame 409 of 500 made. The 'modern' is a 2005 frame the complete mtb weighs 15lb 4oz a flyer
The forks are Canondale peperami alloy 1991 vintage and Trigon carbons

if you like vintage mtb's and road bikes then visit here
www.retrobike.co.uk 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back