Bicycle-Fi!
Dec 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2,116 of 4,419
Sometimes, you've gotta make do with what you've got.

This is the wheel that was bent like a pretzel by the idiot who ran me over a couple of months ago. I wanted to see if the rim could be straightened, so it could be used again. Surprisingly, it's quite easy to unbend an aluminum rim. In fact it's so easy, I bent it the other way by going overboard. All you need to do is mark the maximums and minimums with a dry-erase marker, then place the wheel on the first step of a stair and jump on it. Within a few minutes, I had a rim with around 5 cm of wiggle to a rim with less than 5 mm off. The problem is, it's just as easy to bend it again, and now that I have some spokes with max tensions and others looser, I'm scared it'll bend again under stress. I fine-tuned the tension in each spokes to equalize the tension, but some are still remarkably looser than others. Ah well, I'll give it a try and see.

Now the question is, do I sell the new set of rims I bought after the "accident", or do I keep both. Since I have studded tires for winter, keeping both will mean I won't have to re-rim tires twice a year. But if I move to a larger city next year for University and sell this bike, I won't need two rims, so I may as well sell the new set while they are still new. Ah the dilemma.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2,117 of 4,419
Quote:
that's not a production step really is it? seeing as the metal does it on it's own when exposed to air.

It's not necessary step, but it's an option. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

It's not like they'd just wait a couple of months for the metal to oxide before painting it. And even if they did, anodizing creates a thicker layer than would naturally occur. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #2,118 of 4,419
I saw some Surly bikes today in REI.... and fell in love. Maybe in a few years..... im mad just bought a bike. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #2,120 of 4,419

Just purchased the kind of bike I used to laugh at when I was a Colnago snob. HA

Used 2012 $260 usd. Suntour, suntour, suntour.The mechanical brakes will drive me crazy I'm sure. Good brakes cost more than the bike.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #2,122 of 4,419
Got a travel bike and started the process for my custom Firefly Ti Road Bike.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #2,123 of 4,419
Looking to get a road bike.. Any recommendations for maybe $300? Or is that just a laughing price for a road bike? If it is, I'll save up some more
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #2,124 of 4,419
Quote:
Oh, but you're destined to have fun. Especially since you can look back and remember...

It's a clunker but fun to ride. The 4th bike I own.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #2,126 of 4,419
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, but you're destined to have fun. Especially since you can look back and remember...

It's a clunker but fun to ride. The 4th bike I own.

That's it! I'm going out later today (Saturday). I never intended to take a few months off 
rolleyes.gif
, but... I have you guys to inspire me. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #2,129 of 4,419
Quote:
Looking to get a road bike.. Any recommendations for maybe $300? Or is that just a laughing price for a road bike? If it is, I'll save up some more
biggrin.gif

Any?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back