Bicycle-Fi!
Dec 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #2,087 of 4,419
Quote:
Oh that must be because I live in Australia, where we don't get snow. If you've ever experimented with how you brake under normal conditions (asphalt or dirt), you'll find that at maximum braking force simply tapping the back brake will make it skid (dangerously). That's because all of your force is on the front wheel. From what I've found, you can get maximum braking speed by braking just enough so that your back wheel barely carries any weight so you're just about to lift. If you use both brakes and you're working at close to 100% braking force then even if you put a tiny amount of pressure into the back brake the back wheel goes into a skid the whole bike can skid and you may end up in a nasty crash. I don't know how it feels like to brake when it's icy since it obviously doesn't snow in Australia.

I live in Califonia.  Doesn't snow here either.  My back wheel has never skid in any major way when i use just the back brake.  I'm not really sure what you are trying to say in this post. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #2,088 of 4,419
Every time you touch your brakes you don't have to squeeze them to the bar, just apply enough pressure to BOTH to slow down just as you wouldn't put your foot to the floor braking in a car, the same goes for bikes.  If your on ice, don't brake unless you have studded tires otherwise you will go down and it hurts like hell because there is no give in ice.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #2,089 of 4,419
Here's an article that was on Bike Radar website for riding in icy conditions and bad weather.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/article/cycling-in-icy-conditions-and-bad-weather-35865/

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2,092 of 4,419
Dec 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #2,093 of 4,419
Quote:
I live in Califonia.  Doesn't snow here either.  My back wheel has never skid in any major way when i use just the back brake.  I'm not really sure what you are trying to say in this post. 

When I use my rear brake on slick roads, dirt, or gravel, my rear wheel skids quite a bit. This happens when I countersteer my body to the left (bike to the right) and hit the rear brake, which makes the rear end slide to the left. It looks similar to this:

Scary dangerous!

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #2,094 of 4,419
Quote:

When I use my rear brake on slick roads, dirt, or gravel, my rear wheel skids quite a bit. This happens when I countersteer my body to the left (bike to the right) and hit the rear brake, which makes the rear end slide to the left. It looks similar to this:

Scary dangerous!

Of course you're going to skid like that if you brake hard on the back and countersteer your body. That sounds intentional though, why else would you lean like that...

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #2,095 of 4,419
Dec 9, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2,097 of 4,419
Quote:

Scary dangerous!

"Liiike a glove"  Ace Ventura

Here's hoping my singlespeed will be completed in the next couple of weeks.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #2,098 of 4,419
Will that be a fixie or single speed?  Either way that is an awesome bike, I have a couple older Schwinn road frames lurking in my basement and they are some of the best bikes made, at least the old ones anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back