Bicycle-Fi!
Oct 25, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,606 of 4,419
So, I messed up my ankle running (was running 4 miles a day getting used to my Vibram FiveFingers, and then got an itch for a longer run and did 7.5 miles and killed my ankle) so I'm back to biking for at least a couple of months.

I finally fixed the front brake on my bike, though both brakes aren't very powerful (I hate caliper brakes!). It's going to start raining soon, though. Anyone ever ride in the rain?

I'm thinking of getting clip on fenders and a waterproof jacket/pants combo. I think I need a better light and gloves as well.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #1,607 of 4,419

Quote:
So, I messed up my ankle running (was running 4 miles a day getting used to my Vibram FiveFingers, and then got an itch for a longer run and did 7.5 miles and killed my ankle) so I'm back to biking for at least a couple of months.

A similar thing happened to me when I started running in vibrams. I went on easy runs for a while, but as soon as I up'ed my distance, the top of my foot started getting bad pains. I took it easy for a while and now I can run my normal distances just fine in them.

Best of luck with the biking in the rain. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #1,608 of 4,419

Quote:
A similar thing happened to me when I started running in vibrams. I went on easy runs for a while, but as soon as I up'ed my distance, the top of my foot started getting bad pains. I took it easy for a while and now I can run my normal distances just fine in them.

Best of luck with the biking in the rain. 

Ouch, yeah it kind of sucks. I've had the Vibrams for almost a month now and got up to 4 miles in about 2-3 weeks. I figure when I start running again I should be up to 8 miles a day in about two months, provided I don't do anything stupid like run twice as far as I'm supposed to like I did last time.

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #1,609 of 4,419
I've long been curious about Vibrams. So, how do they feel? I thought about maybe getting a pair and taking 3 mile strolls (with Nikon) on days in between cycling.

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #1,610 of 4,419
Really comfy -- especially on dirt, grass and natural surfaces.  I've worn mine a good 50+ times on whole day outings and only once had a thorn / tiny splinter penetrate the vibram undersole and get through to my feet.  

I don't use them for running though, and would never on asphalt.  They're just not cut out for that.

They make for great lounging shoes.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,611 of 4,419
There are a lot more "barefoot" shoes options tailored for specific purposes now, like trail running, road running, or walking/casual. And they don't have the separate toes thing if you don't like that look. Vibrams was the first popular one, but a lot more companies are following the trend.

The main thing with these shoes is that you have to change your running stride to something known as "good form running". Traditional heel striking is not recommended. That's why a lot of people have small injuries when they change to Vibrams. You use more and different muscles that need to be developed because the foot no longer has the same support as traditional running shoes.

If you're worried about that you can also go with an intermediary "minimalist" running shoe. They've got a little more support than barefoot shoes, and are designed to transition you over to good form running.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #1,612 of 4,419
Thanks. It's nice to learn that there are more options - I like the concept but need greater flexibility. No interest in running with them, but walking "New Style" in a manner like we would if we didn't have shoes on (barefoot?). My primary concern is protection. Comfort would be up there as well.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #1,613 of 4,419

Quote:
Really comfy -- especially on dirt, grass and natural surfaces.  I've worn mine a good 50+ times on whole day outings and only once had a thorn / tiny splinter penetrate the vibram undersole and get through to my feet.  

I don't use them for running though, and would never on asphalt.  They're just not cut out for that.

They make for great lounging shoes.

You can definitely run on the road with them. My problem wasn't that I was running on asphalt, it was that I ran almost 2x the distance I should've and my muscles weren't ready for all that stress.

It didn't help that I ran 3.5 miles of that 7.5 miles downhill at close to a sprint...

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #1,614 of 4,419
I felt some pain in my forefoot, non-muscle pain, after I ran with them on asphalt.  I know I wasn't heel striking either.  It's simply too painful to heel strike when barefoot / vibram running.  The shoes force you into good form.  The pain I had was more in the small bones / ligaments in the forefoot, so I simply stopped running in them on asphalt.  Natural surfaces provide a natural cushioning the vibrams would be appropriate for.  For artificially hard surfaces like asphalt I think one's much better off with some artificial cushioning.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #1,615 of 4,419
Like all repetitive-stress activities, technique can be a critical factor with the vibrams. I have a running 5 finger model, and had to adjust my walking style a bit. Can't recall the exact issue, but there was some slight dragging in there somewhere. Jogging was an easier transition, and these shoes *can* be unforgiving on hard surfaces. Technique, technique, technique.

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #1,616 of 4,419
Yes, technique is very very important, but you end up learning fast that you can't heel strike at all.

I've also built up some epic callouses from the shoes that I'll end up losing and will have to go through the painful process of getting blisters before they callous over again when I start running again.

My bottom of my left toe is just one big callous, and most of the bottoms of my feet are completely calloused. It's nice though because I can walk/run on some pretty rough stuff without much pain now.

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,617 of 4,419
I'd love to get back to running if I could.  Have been fighting plantar fasciitis that I haven't been able to get rid of for a year now.  Those barefoot shoes would have been nice to get into and try out pre-injury, but nowadays I'm afraid of taking any steps w/o orthoics or a form-fitting birkenstocks.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #1,618 of 4,419

Quote:
I'd love to get back to running if I could.  Have been fighting plantar fasciitis that I haven't been able to get rid of for a year now.  Those barefoot shoes would have been nice to get into and try out pre-injury, but nowadays I'm afraid of taking any steps w/o orthoics or a form-fitting birkenstocks.

I'd love to return to running sometime in 2012, but very short distances to cross-train only. Since giving up running and now with mainly biking, cycling has been kinder, gentler on my legs, knees, back and feet. I hope to tilt my workouts 80/20 in favor of cycling. If running becomes too difficult on the feet, I'll simply make brisk walking a part of my week with runs now and then uphill.

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #1,619 of 4,419
So I've figured out what to use on my new single speed for keeping the rear brake line down (my frame doesn't have anything to help it stay). Instead of drilling, I've decided to lay strips of clear Leading Edge tape on the front and rear top tube where I will keep the cable strapped down with clear zip ties. Clear zip ties get really dirty though, so I'll probably go with a different color. Tomorrow I'll be swinging by the local tool stop to see if they have any tape in stock.

In need of some more advice from you guys. I want to go with a vintage / orange / brown look for the seat and bar tape. I've been reading up on shellacing the bar tape, but I don't really know much about it. As for the color, are there any good alternatives to Brooks "honey brown" when it comes to the bar tape and saddle? Or is their price worth it all? The bike below (not mine) is very close to the color I am looking for.

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #1,620 of 4,419
Quote:
So I've figured out what to use on my new single speed for keeping the rear brake line down (my frame doesn't have anything to help it stay). Instead of drilling, I've decided to lay strips of clear Leading Edge tape on the front and rear top tube where I will keep the cable strapped down with clear zip ties. Clear zip ties get really dirty though, so I'll probably go with a different color. Tomorrow I'll be swinging by the local tool stop to see if they have any tape in stock.

In need of some more advice from you guys. I want to go with a vintage / orange / brown look for the seat and bar tape. I've been reading up on shellacing the bar tape, but I don't really know much about it. As for the color, are there any good alternatives to Brooks "honey brown" when it comes to the bar tape and saddle? Or is their price worth it all? The bike below (not mine) is very close to the color I am looking for.

Bianchi has some nice bikes, i was looking into them a few months ago. I was also looking for the amazing brown leather seats (like my 2007 Jeep Commander Limited (brown leather seats)) and the Brooks seats,etc; are about the only good quality leather bike accessory company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back