Bicycle-Fi!
Oct 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,591 of 4,419

Quote:
I've been road biking since this summer and joined my school's bike club. Our club gets a really good discount at a local bike shop on trek bikes/bontrager gear a couple of times each year. The order has to be in 2 weeks from now. 

I am looking to get a nice full suspension mountain bike. I want a good all round bike that I could possibly use to race with in the future. I am limited to trek. Does anyone has suggestions? 

Well full-suspension can mean a few things, but if you're limited to Trek then the Superfly 100. Covers a large price range so you can find a model you can afford. It's a cross country bike so it'll climb and descend well, unless things start to get really hairy.

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #1,592 of 4,419

Quote:
Well full-suspension can mean a few things, but if you're limited to Trek then the Superfly 100. Covers a large price range so you can find a model you can afford. It's a cross country bike so it'll climb and descend well, unless things start to get really hairy.

Thanks, I think someone else also recommended the superfly 100. I am probably going to end up spending around $1750 after the discount. And it seems like the discount prices were about 40% lower than msrp.

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #1,593 of 4,419

Quote:

Thanks, I think someone else also recommended the superfly 100. I am probably going to end up spending around $1750 after the discount. And it seems like the discount prices were about 40% lower than msrp.

I have observed a lot of happy souls riding around SLO. @ 40% < MSRP you'll be among the happiest! 
wink_face.gif

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #1,594 of 4,419

Quote:
Gotcha, in that sport you much use some high quality road tires,tubes,etc. Probably as durable at mountain biking gear.

Cyclocross tires.

Otoh the last time I was in the Bay Area, there were a number of road riders I ran into on the trail, with road frames and tires.

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #1,595 of 4,419

Quote:
Cyclocross tires.

Otoh the last time I was in the Bay Area, there were a number of road riders I ran into on the trail, with road frames and tires.

That's an interesting looking set up inside your signature. Is the Jkenny MK3 on battery? The Mac on battery? Any improvement with the Mac on battery? How do you like your system's sound? It definitely looks like something I wanna hear...
popcorn.gif

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #1,596 of 4,419
Improvements that came with the MK3, has sparked interest in battery powered components such as RWA. Still, my best bet for an upgrade amp is the GS-X. The MBP is my working computer so I'm not messing with it, although I may set up a dedicated computer server next year.

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #1,597 of 4,419

Quote:
Improvements that came with the MK3, has sparked interest in battery powered components such as RWA. Still, my best bet for an upgrade amp is the GS-X. The MBP is my working computer so I'm not messing with it, although I may set up a dedicated computer server next year.

Reading about JKenny's efforts last year also sparked my interest in going off-the-grid. I like what he and RWA and others are doing. Also, I like the possibilities the newer battery tech is bringing - LiFePO4 batts. Hope this area grows so prices can come (way) down.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,598 of 4,419
I ended up purchasing a 2012 Trek Fuel EX 8 for $1700 after taxes and shipping. I went with the Matt Ti color. I should get the bike in about 2 weeks!

I can't wait to hit the trails around San Luis Obispo!

In the meantime, I'll just have to continue road biking to curb my impatience.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,599 of 4,419
Quote:
I ended up purchasing a 2012 Trek Fuel EX 8 for $1700 after taxes and shipping. I went with the Matt Ti color. I should get the bike in about 2 weeks!

Very nice bike, too bad over here its getting to cold to enjoy such a sport.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #1,600 of 4,419

Quote:

What a Sunday you're having, BlueAlien! Congrats on your ride. Sometimes, when passing through SLO in the car, I'd wish I had a Yakima holding my bike down on top! Your area makes for great riding and getaway adventures in general. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #1,602 of 4,419

Quote:
Very nice bike, too bad over here its getting to cold to enjoy such a sport.

I know how you feel, I am originally from Salt Lake City. But winter sports are also tons of fun. I do sort of miss seasons and snow.

Quote:
What a Sunday you're having, BlueAlien! Congrats on your ride. Sometimes, when passing through SLO in the car, I'd wish I had a Yakima holding my bike down on top! Your area makes for great riding and getaway adventures in general. 

Thanks, I couldn't have picked a better place to go to school. Great education and a great area! I just wish I had a car down here so I could take this thing for some rides in the surrounding areas. 

On a related matter, construction on a mountain bike park just started yesterday not too far from Cal Poly's campus! https://picasaweb.google.com/photosCCCMB/TheEucsSkillsParkBuildDay#slideshow/5666892712729014706

Quote:
Wow, that thing looks sick!

Thanks, I liked the red and grey more than the black and grey. The bike shop had a Remedy in a similar color and I fell in love.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #1,603 of 4,419

Quote:
I know how you feel, I am originally from Salt Lake City. But winter sports are also tons of fun. I do sort of miss seasons and snow.

Thanks, I couldn't have picked a better place to go to school. Great education and a great area! I just wish I had a car down here so I could take this thing for some rides in the surrounding areas. 

On a related matter, construction on a mountain bike park just started yesterday not too far from Cal Poly's campus! https://picasaweb.google.com/photosCCCMB/TheEucsSkillsParkBuildDay#slideshow/5666892712729014706 
Thanks, I liked the red and grey more than the black and grey. The bike shop had a Remedy in a similar color and I fell in love.

You're absolutely right - great school, great area! I love the Park concept. Any idea on a completion date? I'm going to have to drive over and have a look at it... and rent a bike!!!  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back