Bicycle-Fi!
Aug 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,381 of 4,419
I was just poking fun at the double standards. 

Aside from that, I'm glad Pigmode shared his story, it was a worthwhile sidetrack, and yes, of course I care, but I guess only as much as any other meat-eating human does, in a twisted sort of way.

=/

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,382 of 4,419

Quote:
I was just poking fun at the double standards. 

Aside from that, I'm glad Pigmode shared his story, it was a worthwhile sidetrack, and yes, of course I care, but I guess only as much as any other meat-eating human does, in a twisted sort of way.

=/

Very true, its say though if you watch some of the YouTube video's on how they treat animals, it definitely makes you rethink where your food comes from. Im still a meat eater too, though im slowly veering off of it. Here comes Whole Foods!

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #1,383 of 4,419

Quote:
Thank you
redface.gif
I hope you wernt hurting any whales, dolphins, etc.

Absolutely not. I was taught to have huge respect for nature and the world around us, in the ways of the ancient Hawaiians that many in the Islands revere so much--although I can't say that respect wasn't put into conflict from time to time with the wants and choices presented by modern society.

One of my closest of friends and ex-girlfriend were both key players in, at the time, the leading pro whale/dolphin environmental groups. I've had amazing close encounters with most all the cetaceans that normally live in Hawaiian waters, including one encounter with pod after pod after pod of Cuvier's Beaked Whales, which is close to a once in a lifetime experience.

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,384 of 4,419
Watching Food Inc. made me glad I buy organic chicken.  The value packs have this unmistakeable stench to them that I can't stand.
I don't really like the way people are so 1 or 0 about these things, though.  On one side you got people eating sickening amts of meat, on another you got hippies that think tofu is nothing more than a meat substitute.  Also don't care about many of those enviro groups since they often seem oblivious to gross oversights in whatever actions they're pursuing.  Regardless of whatever kind of joke they're trying to push, I'm probably doing more for the environment than they are by not driving to work, anyway.

Quote:
Very true, its say though if you watch some of the YouTube video's on how they treat animals, it definitely makes you rethink where your food comes from. Im still a meat eater too, though im slowly veering off of it. Here comes Whole Foods!

On topic of bikes... One of the trips I've wanted to do for a while now is a 2-3wk Japan tour, visiting family and friends on the way, eating tons, heck maybe a trip to Stax headquarters if they still do listening sessions at their building.  The thing that I can't decide on is what to do about the transportation.  It's either:

1) pay 200-300 each way (=400~600) to transport current bike.  Bike-unfriendly Delta has the best prices by far, and if I go w/ an alternate carrier I'd just end up paying several hundred extra for the tickets.
2) get a folder.  I tried Bike Fridays when I visited parents in Oregon, and they're awesome -- but even a full Tiagra set is going to set me back $$1900+.
3) buy a bike in Japan, give it to Nephew as a gift once I'm done playing w/ it.  If I buy new it'll be something around 100,000 yen (~$1300?) for a full setup, which isn't too bad.  It will end up burning 1-2 days while I look for something that works, though.

I was liking #3, esp since I could 'borrow' the bike afterwards if I wanted to do any more touring after that.  With the way the dollar's been sliding however I'm not as sure.  What option would you guys pick?

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #1,385 of 4,419

Quote:

Absolutely not. I was taught to have huge respect for nature and the world around us, in the ways of the ancient Hawaiians that many in the Islands revere so much--although I can't say that respect wasn't put into conflict from time to time with the wants and choices presented by modern society.

One of my closest of friends and ex-girlfriend were both key players in, at the time, the leading pro whale/dolphin environmental groups. I've had amazing close encounters with most all the cetaceans that normally live in Hawaiian waters, including one encounter with pod after pod after pod of Cuvier's Beaked Whales, which is close to a once in a lifetime experience.

Fascinating... and extraordinary! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #1,386 of 4,419

In N.Y. Apartment Buildings, Bicycles Muscle In ~

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/realestate/the-bicycle-muscles-in.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hpw

cover-articleLarge.jpg

It was my lunch time read, thought I'd share. Been injured all year with a few different events. It's amazing to think I haven't been out not once this year. Trying very hard for last day of summer as a target ('round 21-22 Sep). Cycling is such a great activity, some miles is better than no miles... so I will get what I can get in the remainder of the year.
popcorn.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,387 of 4,419

Quote:
Also I just noticed this - if you have to have the seat so high up you probably would have been able to go with a larger frame size. There's a lot of seatpost showing, and that generally means your bike is sized one or even two sizes too small.

This is my bike and where I keep the seat post. I feel like Im in the perfect spot for both uphill climbing and downhill trail riding. Ive always seen so many riders with these super high seat positions and wondered if mine is actually too low and I needed a smaller framed bike. I like to trail ride going up and downhill as fast as possible if it makes a difference on what height you should keep your seat.

EDIT: Oh yea, I know the tires are flat. They are brand new and just got done putting them on then took pic. They are inflated now so all is well :wink:

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #1,388 of 4,419

Quote:

It was my lunch time read, thought I'd share. Been injured all year with a few different events. It's amazing to think I haven't been out not once this year. Trying very hard for last day of summer as a target ('round 21-22 Sep). Cycling is such a great activity, some miles is better than no miles... so I will get what I can get in the remainder of the year.
popcorn.gif

Good luck on your recovery.

I took a 10 year break from cycling in 95-05 after getting tendonitis above and below both knees, and made a big mistake of not taking a proactive approach to recovery. Needless to say the build up of scar tissue presented a hurdle in '05, when I made a false start in returning to cycling. That I'm capable of the miles I'm doing now is pretty amazing. I'm pretty much a spinner now more than anything else, and its working well. Spinning is much easier on the knees, but I miss being able to get out of the saddle to power up hills. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #1,391 of 4,419
Yes, it's custom. I bought a CAAD10-5, stripped the 105 parts and put it on my old CAAD8 frame and sold that to a friend of a friend. The SRAM parts and HollowgramSL cranks are a mix of stuff I had on my CAAD8 and some newly purchased upgrades.

Complete build:

50cm CAAD10
Bars: PRO PLT Compact 42cm
Tape: Fizik Microtex
Stem: 3T ARX Pro 110mm (Ti bolts)
Seatpost: 3T Dorico Team (cut to 250mm)
Saddle: Specialized Romin Expert
Cranks: Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL 170mm
Chainrings: Stronglight CT2 50/34
Chain: KMC X10SL
Shifters: SRAM Red
FD: SRAM Force '09
RD: SRAM Force '09 w/ KCNC pulleys
Brakes: SRAM Force '09
Cables: Gore Ride-On Professional for shifting/ Jagwire OEM for brakes
Wheels: Shimano 7850 C24 CL
Skewers: KCNC Ti
Tubes: Michelin latex
Tires: Schwalbe Ultremo R.1
Cages: Arundel Mandible

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,392 of 4,419

Quote:

Good luck on your recovery.

I took a 10 year break from cycling in 95-05 after getting tendonitis above and below both knees, and made a big mistake of not taking a proactive approach to recovery. Needless to say the build up of scar tissue presented a hurdle in '05, when I made a false start in returning to cycling. That I'm capable of the miles I'm doing now is pretty amazing. I'm pretty much a spinner now more than anything else, and its working well. Spinning is much easier on the knees, but I miss being able to get out of the saddle to power up hills. 

Spinning ~

Got out in the garage to Spin twice in the last four weeks - 30 minutes each. Still sore in both knees... will try Spinning three times each week until the last week of September (Autumn). Cabin fever will see me move on to the streets! Will likely shut it down post Halloween - cold and sore knees don't go together if you ask me. But will still Spin inside the warm garage this autumn/winter while rehabbing with calisthenics and such. 

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #1,394 of 4,419

Quote:
Yes, it's custom. I bought a CAAD10-5, stripped the 105 parts and put it on my old CAAD8 frame and sold that to a friend of a friend. The SRAM parts and HollowgramSL cranks are a mix of stuff I had on my CAAD8 and some newly purchased upgrades.

Nice build. I can see myself moving to a CAAD 10, as I did a demo ride on a 9 last year and it was pretty sweet. That's a good strategy on the parts transfer. What I need are the Force derailleurs and Red shifters.

Its kind of funny demo-ing at the local Cannondale shop, which is actually a sporting goods store. The other guy said I could bring my own pedals. Yeah, I need the seat set at this height please. Any chance you can move the saddle back by this much? Can you re-level the saddle again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back