Bicycle-Fi!
Aug 28, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,366 of 4,419

Quote:
What, you want me to carry 5 intertubes with me?

And perhaps, a Boot Kit. If I may ask, what type of riding then are you able to do successfully?
popcorn.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #1,367 of 4,419
buy decent puncture resistant tires, if it's not enough get some tuffy liners.

Vittoria Randonneur tires on my commuter routinely gets 1/2-inch tackweed thorns in them, no flats after 1500 miles.  If you must have thin (yeah, as if rolling resistance or 100g weight makes a difference for most of us...) Gatorskins provide decent protection for not much more than those super-thin road tires.

Quote:
What, you want me to carry 5 intertubes with me?

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #1,368 of 4,419

Quote:
And perhaps, a Boot Kit. If I may ask, what type of riding then are you able to do successfully?
popcorn.gif

Trails, roads, gravel,etc. I like my bike to go anywhere, but i want it to be best for all of them, and i want the speed of a road bike. I know, its alot of things for a smal budget and possibilities are slimming as we speak. Also @MuuMuu, if i go that route, im going to throw PR tires and tubes so i can forget about such a thing happening.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #1,369 of 4,419

Quote:
Trails, roads, gravel,etc. I like my bike to go anywhere, but i want it to be best for all of them, and i want the speed of a road bike. I know, its alot of things for a smal budget and possibilities are slimming as we speak. Also @MuuMuu, if i go that route, im going to throw PR tires and tubes so i can forget about such a thing happening.

I'll probably set up a cyclocross bike within the next year or so, for basically the same uses that you list, and hopefully for commuting. The riding position and efficiency of road bikes fit my riding style best, and I want the bigger tires and stronger wheels for bunny-hopping curbs, and taking alternative pathways.

I have a sweet 2010 Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert that would do well, but 1.5 yr later its still practically brand new, not having been ridden much and only once off road. 

This is what I'm looking at right now...but who knows, I might build up another fixie as well.

http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/hakkalugi/

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,370 of 4,419

Quote:

I'll probably set up a cyclocross bike within the next year or so, for basically the same uses that you list, and hopefully for commuting. The riding position and efficiency of road bikes fit my riding style best, and I want the bigger tires and stronger wheels for bunny-hopping curbs, and taking alternative pathways.

I have a sweet 2010 Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert that would do well, but 1.5 yr later its still practically brand new, not having been ridden much and only once off road. 

This is what I'm looking at right now...but who knows, I might build up another fixie as well.

http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/hakkalugi/

The problem with a cylocross bike (forgot to mention) are those type of handle bars, i like the Rockhopper and ive looked at them before. How do you like yours?

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #1,371 of 4,419
The Rockhopper is a really nice hardtail, and is my second MTB. I owned a Pepperoni forked Cannondale in the 90's, and did a lot of off road riding for about 5 yr or so, but I guess for me that season has passed. 

I took the Rockhopper on my favorite trail last year and saw so much erosion, and basically made the decision not to be a part of that equation any more. I've been around long enough to have done my share of damage, so its time to show greater respect for the earth.

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #1,372 of 4,419

Quote:
The Rockhopper is a really nice hardtail, and is my second MTB. I owned a Pepperoni forked Cannondale in the 90's, and did a lot of off road riding for about 5 yr or so, but I guess for me that season has passed. 

I took the Rockhopper on my favorite trail last year and saw so much erosion, and basically made the decision not to be a part of that equation any more. I've been around long enough to have done my share of damage, so its time to show greater respect for the earth.

What do you mean? On the trail?

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #1,373 of 4,419

Quote:

You can ride trails and show respect for the earth still. The problem is it takes a lot of time and effort. Riding on appropriate trails as well as trail maintenance and upkeep. Trails can also undergo erosion without any help from outside forces as well. I'm sure you're more familiar with that the trails you rode, but at least in my area nature can be its own enemy sometimes. We get very little rain so a recent storm that lasted almost two weeks caused havoc. The hills just weren't used to retaining that much water and a lot of hillsides gave way.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,374 of 4,419
^ Agree. I may very well do a coupe more rides, as there are two more trails I'd like to see once more. I'm not knocking MTBing, its just a personal philosophical and maybe an aesthetic issue more than anything else.

Yeah cifani, trail damage.

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #1,375 of 4,419

Quote:
^ Agree. I may very well do a coupe more rides, as there are two more trails I'd like to see once more. I'm not knocking MTBing, its just a personal philosophical and maybe an aesthetic issue more than anything else.

Gotcha, thank gosh we dont have mountains over here and its just 50/50 gravel/asfalt and every once in a while gives way by the swamps since their are alot where i bike. And my backyard is one! Nice and quiet!

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #1,376 of 4,419

Quote:

It was great to hear you reflect earlier today. To re-examine an aspect of your life a later date under new light was a beautiful thing to hear...
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #1,377 of 4,419
Thanks SilentOne, I appreciate it. It took a serious injury going on two years ago that led me to reexamine my place in the order of things.

Not to go too far off-topic but all my life from childhood, I've been a respected and accomplished deep sea and spear fisherman. I still get invites every year to dive or to crew on deep sea boats, and for big money tournaments (not that I ever believed in, or participated in tournaments).  I've sold my speargun and have turned away from fishing altogether. Again I don't necessarily put it down, but I've had way more than my share of fish for one lifetime. We're talking several decades with all of the best fish, and prime sashimi almost 30-40 weeks out of the year. Being that as it may be, I feel small sense of peace with my decisions. Its the least I can do.

Now cycling, road cycling, that's a different story. The body is a playground, and I try to ride to play it to its potential.

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #1,378 of 4,419

Quote:
Thanks SilentOne, I appreciate it. It took a serious injury going on two years ago that led me to reexamine my place in the order of things.

Not to go too far off-topic but all my life from childhood, I've been a respected and accomplished deep sea and spear fisherman. I still get invites every year to dive or to crew on deep sea boats, and for big money tournaments (not that I ever believed in, or participated in tournaments).  I've sold my speargun and have turned away from fishing altogether. Again I don't necessarily put it down, but I've had way more than my share of fish for one lifetime. We're talking several decades with all of the best fish, and prime sashimi almost 30-40 weeks out of the year. Being that as it may be, I feel small sense of peace with my decisions. Its the least I can do.

Now cycling, road cycling, that's a different story. The body is a playground, and I try to ride to play it to its potential.

Thank you
redface.gif
I hope you wernt hurting any whales, dolphins, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back