Bicycle-Fi!
Jun 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #1,216 of 4,419

Quote:
Quote:

32C tires will easily carry your weight.  They're really not narrow at all.  I ride 28C tires on most of my bikes and I'm a similar weight as you.  Buy a good pump and be sure to check the tires before every ride.  Your tires won't "pop" but you could get a pinch flat if they aren't inflated fully.  Heck, anyone can get a pinch flat on an under inflated tire.  Once the OEM tires wear out, get a good set like Continental GatorSkins or Specialized Armadillos and you'll be good to go for a long time.

Remember though, that these aren't mountain bikes.  If you hop curbs or run right through the middle of pot holes, you will get a flat.

Oh, i have a good pump. Will the Intersoll-Rand 2475N5 do fine?
tongue.gif
 Im definitely not a child anymore, and ive never done a curb hop
biggrin.gif
 These trails around my area, are mostly unpaved. So their pretty much all gravel and a little bit of dirt. I usually ride in the path of previous riders for maximum speed
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #1,217 of 4,419
Actually, if you are riding gravel trails, I might go with something with wider tires like a Cannondale Adventure.  This still has 700 tires so you can get going pretty quick but the fatter tires will be better for gravel.

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,218 of 4,419
Hey guys! So I'm looking into doing my own repairs/assembly/disassembly/fixes/etc to my bike, but the problem is, I've got no tools. If you were to start from scratch, meaning assume I have NOTHING, what would you grab? I'm worried about the essentials first, and I'm on a student's budget, but I do want tools of quality. I want the absolute essentials first, and from there you can say what might be good and why it would be good. Furthermore, please don't use abbreviations that I wouldn't recognize, it really makes it difficult not knowing things as is.

I'd say limit my budget to a hundred dollars for essentials, as I know how much head-fi likes to break budgets. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #1,220 of 4,419
Quick Poll for all those who care.

Campagnolo, Shimano, Sram?

I'm a Sram guy because the double tap is just plain awesome.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #1,221 of 4,419
I haven't tried Campagnolo, but between the Shimano and Sram I do like the Sram double tap. I like the feedback and not having to touch the brakes. Not that Shimano is bad, but it's just a style preference I think.

Anyone doing any organized rides? I just signed up for the LA Gran Fondo and plan on doing the OC Amtrak Century in September. Training is going to be fun.

Quote:
Quick Poll for all those who care.

Campagnolo, Shimano, Sram?

I'm a Sram guy because the double tap is just plain awesome.

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #1,222 of 4,419
My 1984 Super Record shifts better than anything Shimano or SRAM will ever build.

Campagnolo!

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #1,224 of 4,419

Quote:
My 1984 Super Record shifts better than anything Shimano or SRAM will ever build.

Campagnolo!

I'm on about my 8th gruppo, the first 7 all Campy including Nuovo, Super, C-, and 1995 and 2005 Ergo Power. I have SRAM now, and while its not beautiful and precise, I'm not looking back. Here's a pic of the '05 Ergo (unridden, unadjusted).

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #1,226 of 4,419
Got me a Jamis Aurora 2010 at a decent price (850, no tax.  Hooray for family living in Oregon!).  With a Champion flyer it's the most comfortablest bike I've ridden.

Been doing some reading in bikeforums and such, but those parts discussions sound eerily like cable/amp/DAC reviews over in some particular forums...  Still thinking about getting new tires for my other Jamis bike though.  Really curious to see if this thing can go any faster with 25c wheels instead of the present 32c.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #1,228 of 4,419
Quote:
Got me a Jamis Aurora 2010 at a decent price (850, no tax.  Hooray for family living in Oregon!).  With a Champion flyer it's the most comfortablest bike I've ridden.

Been doing some reading in bikeforums and such, but those parts discussions sound eerily like cable/amp/DAC reviews over in some particular forums...  Still thinking about getting new tires for my other Jamis bike though.  Really curious to see if this thing can go any faster with 25c wheels instead of the present 32c.

I've got a Jamis Coda Sport waiting for me to pick up at my LBS.

Make sure your rims aren't too wide for 25C tires.  On Sheldon Brown's website above, there's a page that covers suitable tire widths for each rim width.

That saddle isn't too low for you?  Looks like it could be.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #1,229 of 4,419
You have way too many risers below your stem, and yup, if you can, your seat should go up and bars should go down to get a proper seated position, will result in more efficient distribution of energy.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back