Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #1,111 of 4,419
My first road bike, 1991 Klein Quantum.  Got it for $300, Shimano 600 front and rear derailleur, Campagnolo cranks and cassettes.  Will be replacing it with Campagnolo Athena group set and custom wheels. 
riwuhc.jpg

6dwleg.jpg

b90n4.jpg

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #1,112 of 4,419
You mean the new Athena?

I got a very nice ride few weeks ago - with full Athena (old one) and Benotto frame - the frame is sadly gray painted and I need to buy some decals (Benotto ones costs around $50!!) or do some home - paintjob. I'm short of money now so I think I'll be going to the second option.

Oct 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #1,113 of 4,419
Cube Team LTD 2007 with replaced bits...

oldish pic ^_^

important bits are;

Shimano HG93 Chain
Shimano XT Cassette 9 Speed M770
Shimano XT Disc Hub Front M756 F&R
Shimano XT derailleurs F&R
Formula Oro k18 F&R (stock)
Shimano Rotors
Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution Snake Skin F&R
DMR v12 pedals

edit: most importantly, "hope one" LED front light!  changing from an incandescent bulb to these LED monsters was mind-boggling.

but no mud guards 
frown.gif

not to mention all the tools required to keep it rolling!  mountain biking can get horribly expensive and taking it to the LBS is just something i can't afford
frown.gif

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #1,120 of 4,419

I am not using the stem bag anymore. That bag would hit my knees while standing. Instead I am just using a larger saddle bag to fit my Droid and snacks. I will prob change out the saddle for something MUCH better next spring. I also want to get a front rack for grocery store trips.

Those shimano pedals (forget model number) I find are not good for when using the platform side only. They have no grip/tread for when riding in street shoes. I prefer the other shimano platform/clipless pedals I have on my Bianchi Volpe. I thought the new black ones looked cooler at the time, so I bought them for the Pacer, but regretted it after riding in street shoes. Oh well.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #1,123 of 4,419
Here's my all-'rounder, a 1973 Raleigh Competition with custom paint by Matt Aasenmacher.  I've commuted with it daily to school for almost four years and on two continents, trained and have done several tris, a few gnarly trail rides (hopefully more with the right wheels now), and two tours on it.  If I could only have one bike this is it - and it shows...  I did take it with me to Sweden from Michigan as my only bike for a year.

It's got Stronglight cranks, Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, Suntour Superbe brakes/levers, a Brooks Pro saddle that's broken into like nothing you've ever ridden, and a brand new set of touring/CX wheels that I just built up (Mavic A319 rims, Ultegra front/Tiagra rear hubs and DT Swiss Comp spokes) to replace the bent-axle'd (Normandy Luxe Competition Gold Label hubs) and bent-rim'd (Gentleman rims) 27" wheels that came with it when I bought it from an old family friend.

I was thinking about upgrading the levers, but once I put the new cable on I decided there's no way I'd go for aero levers.  Well, just maybe if I need them for off-road use.

With fenders and rack (for kitty litter panniers), set up for commuting in the ungodly harsh Swedish winters - we've already got around three feet of snow, and when riding the windchill approaches -25 C [i.e. -13 F]):

And set up for exploration rides through the country (Eggbeaters go on for serious rides - there's serious toe overlap which has been killing my slow speed maneuvering, especially in the snow):

Back in Michigan I've got a 2005 Fisher Piranha that's in the middle of going through a total parts upgrade (the stock components pretty much sucked, and I converted it to a 1x9er), and a 2003 Raleigh Team frame that I built up into a tri bike - although it's got a crack in the Al chainstay.  I'm still figuring out what to do as I love the bike (and it is FAST - I posted a 1:07 40k time when I was in really iffy shape) - I think I may do a fiberglass then carbon fiber layup over the crack and ride it as long as I can.

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #1,125 of 4,419
Quote:
BlackbeardBen: Nice Bike and the shifters are where they should be. I'll get shouted down for sayin' that

Thanks!  The only problem is that the Raleigh badge never got riveted back on after the paint job (many, many years ago), and I haven't found the right rivets for it yet.

Those who don't race professionally just haven't been converted to downtube shifters yet!  :D

When I had one of my fast triathlon friends try it out (he finished 11th [1:56] at the 2007 USAT Collegiate Nationals), he loved how smooth it was - the best shifting and best riding bike he had ever ridden.  The shorter, minimal housing cable runs really make a big difference.

Not so good for off road riding though - and like I said, neither are old non-aero brake levers.  But, it's worth the trade-offs for the mix of riding that I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back