Bicycle-Fi!
Jul 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #1,066 of 4,419

Quote:
Never had a singlespeed/fixed before and figure this would be a good one to get started on.

No hills where you will be riding?

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #1,067 of 4,419
Actually I live in Madison, WI and frequently bike through the Eagle Heights area. This place has some of the steepest hills I have ever biked on/seen. Currently I am able to bike through the entirety of it in a single gear with a ratio of about 2.6 on my old Schwinn so I'm not really worried about my legs holding up. The bike I'm looking at has a similar gear ratio I believe so I think this should be fine. I could drop to a lower gear but I never feel the need to, I just tell myself to pedal fast when a hill is coming up.

I'm sort of new to biking which is why I haven't had a singlespeed/fixed gear bike before. Only real bike I have had is the Le Tour.

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #1,068 of 4,419
I was just wondering because those are mainly for riding around flat ovals, velodrome-style!

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #1,069 of 4,419

Quote:
I was just wondering because those are mainly for riding around flat ovals, velodrome-style!

If you find the gear you are most comfortable with then you can ride a fixed anywhere.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #1,070 of 4,419
exactly! :) I figure that most of my riding is in the city and around the school campus which is sort of flat but occasionally I will take the bike out to the hilly area's around the city. I figure that if I can ride those hills on the Schwinn that weighs a ton and has much less aerodynamic tires in almost the same gear I can do it on a singlespeed/fixed.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #1,073 of 4,419
Nice bike jeckyllandhyde. I really would like to have a classic racer like your one.

PS: You need to find a campy rear mech to match your Italian components and frame
wink_face.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #1,076 of 4,419
thanks guys! i'm planning to go either full dura ace or vintage record. I switched to MTB brake levers mainly because of the brakes - quite hard to use:/
rust is no problem here, cause the frame is chromed underneath (thats why I like it so much:)

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #1,077 of 4,419
Have you tried sleeving the cable wires to reduce friction? Otherwise you could put a light grease coat over the length of the wire. BTW, a Campy derailleur would be awesome on that bike as well as a modolo handlebar. Cheers.

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #1,079 of 4,419

Quote:
Have you tried sleeving the cable wires to reduce friction? Otherwise you could put a light grease coat over the length of the wire. BTW, a Campy derailleur would be awesome on that bike as well as a modolo handlebar. Cheers.

New sleeves and lube are a good suggestion. I went thru the same deal last year when I was fixing up my city rider. Here is some other stuff I tried that helped....

Check how tight your brake bolt is. The brakes will be stiff if the bolt is too tight; newer brakes don't seem to suffer from this quite like old ones. Also aftermarket pads make a world of difference over those vintage pads (assuming you're rocking old pads). Good luck.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #1,080 of 4,419
thanks for all suggestions! I'm definetely going to get new sleeves (blue ones:).

I wasnt lazy and I got some new parts:
Campa Record vintage brakes
Campa Super Record rear derauiller (first version)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back