Bicycle-Fi!
Apr 23, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #376 of 4,428
Hydraulic disc > Cable disc > V brake > Cantilever > Caliper > Drum.

For a road bike you want calipers due to weight saving. Most road bikes have calipers, some tourers have hydraulic disc, canti's or v brakes, depending on shifters ie for flat bar tourers they can use v brakes, if they're drops have to be calipers, unless like cyclocross with the small levers in which case canti's.

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #378 of 4,428
That's what I was getting at, stopping power. But there is more to brakes than just stopping power, ease of setting up, weight etc. Disc brakes are good for MTB since they don't get clogged up like rim brakes, also no rim wear.

For a roadie though you don't need disc brakes, I use calipers and they provide plenty, in fact in the wet you don't want disc brake levels of stopping power due to tiny bit of rubber on the wet road.

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #379 of 4,428
Fixed gear and your own legs
tongue.gif
oh and a front brake for emergencies...

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #382 of 4,428
I'm not sure what the law is in Japan, but I'm glad I have the front brake though.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #383 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I was getting at, stopping power. But there is more to brakes than just stopping power, ease of setting up, weight etc. Disc brakes are good for MTB since they don't get clogged up like rim brakes, also no rim wear.

For a roadie though you don't need disc brakes, I use calipers and they provide plenty, in fact in the wet you don't want disc brake levels of stopping power due to tiny bit of rubber on the wet road.

with fixies you don't need brakes but with road bikes, calipers provide amazing stopping power. i have cantilevers now for cyclocross and they are not much a stopping machine. I have to plan way ahead of time where I want to slow down!

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #385 of 4,428
Quote:

Required by law to have at least one brake afaik.

No, that only applies to bike shops. Bike shops can only sell bikes that have at least one brake. However, you can legally ride your bike without brakes if you take them off, which is what I did.
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #386 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a single speed. I tried a "fixie" but that is not my "flavor". Not knocking a "fixie", just could not get used to it.

Yeah fixed gear bikes aren't for everyone. For years I would use exercise bikes and trainers, so it felt natural when I first rode a fixed gear since there is no point in coasting on an exercise bike. I also like the work out and the control that you have slowing down with your own legs
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #387 of 4,428
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with fixies you don't need brakes but with road bikes, calipers provide amazing stopping power. i have cantilevers now for cyclocross and they are not much a stopping machine. I have to plan way ahead of time where I want to slow down!

You sir are brave! I would not trust cantilevers especially when riding trails or going fast down hill. Hydraulic discs are just so much better suited for that type of use because they have better modulation and a lot more stopping power.

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #388 of 4,428
Quote:

Hydraulic disc > Cable disc > V brake > Cantilever > Caliper > Drum.

This may be true if all are well designed and in good operating order. But all designs of each are not equal and all brakes are not kept in good operating order. Any of these (except the last on the rear wheel only) can be perfectly satisfactory if of good design and in good operating order. Hard to beat learning how to ride, use all controls including the brakes, and having recent practice at both. Condemning a brake simply on operating system can be shortsighted.

Us old guys remember the joy of getting even a bad brake on the front wheel, which largely eliminated childhood's long rear wheel slides into disaster. Most of us old guys who are still alive and riding learned how to adjust, clean and otherwise maintain whatever brakes we had. I've never ridden a modern disc brake, but I imagine the good ones are a vast improvement if they are well adjusted and maintained. But I'm not swapping out my good caliper, cantilever, and V-brakes just because the marketing department thinks I should.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #389 of 4,428
Chain vs Belt vs Drive Shaft
Steel Frame vs Carbon Fiber vs Chromium Aluminum vs Other Compositions
Anyone care to comment and educate me and others reading this thread about different bicycle technologies?

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #390 of 4,428
discs = less maintenence. change the pads less, sort the brake transmission less, & they don't interfere with your rims - great if your out in the middle of knowhere, & need to fix a wheel. i love how i don't have to touch the brake lines - something so satisfying about pumping the levers while adding new juice, feeling them come back to life. it's alive - alive!!! (though bleeding the brakes is rarely needed).

i loved v-brakes for about 10 years then suddenly went disc. never looked back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back