Bicycle-Fi!
Apr 8, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #3,799 of 4,419
  That top one is nice!

It's a custom steel frame, based on a cross bike but used as a disc-braked tourer - depending on tire profile and width it can be quite speedy. It's super comfortable - the middle frame is from the same builder as is more of an addax set up, but based on classic racing geometry. Both frames are made by Tiziano Zullo, an artisan builder (he did build bikes for TVM) based near Lake Garda / Verona.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,800 of 4,419

BB7's are mechanical, aren't they ? They can't be that good in comparison to the XT's, then, based on my admittedly limited experience with mechanical calipers.

Yes, I believe they are mechanical. So, the hydraulic ones are superior? I (obviously) don't know anything about disc brakes (I'm a SRAM road bike guy...yes, the dark side...).

Sorry for dredging. A couple riders from the lbs whom I respect quite a bit, recommended BB7 over XT. This mainly for ease of adjustment and repairablity provided you do your own maintenance. When I rebuilt my El Mariachi I went with XT, because I really love the braking action and power.

Better is a term that needs to be qualified. XT has stronger braking by far. This may be considered better, but many experienced riders prefer mechanical discs (BB7) over hydraulic (XT). In some situations I can see mechanicals being a "better" choice. Think multi day rides in the outback, but all the benefits exist for any type of riding. Mechanical discs are not going anywhere, and they are not just for lower priced oem.

PS. If you start having problems with discs and don't do your on work, be prepareed for the possibility for hassles. Often time bike mechs can.t fix simple problems, and it's not uncommon for the bikes to travel in and out out the shop multi times, sometimes with small issues never being resolved.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #3,801 of 4,419
The BB7 are very low maintenance but it can be a faff adjusting the brake shoes as they seem much more prone to vibration rubbing. I come back to my earlier comment in that XT allows a larger diameter rotor whereas iirc the BB7 is limited to 180 mm. Depending on your weight and type of riding, you will get better braking power from bigger rotors and the XT technology means thinks heat up slower. In my experience, BB7 are not your best bet if you are a bigger fella on a long, brake heavy descent.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #3,802 of 4,419
I really enjoy my El Mariachi set up as a hybrid. Fun on the road!!! Really bummed I didn't go ahead and build up an upgraded hybrid w/:

- Niner carbon frameset (rigid carbon fork)
- XT 1x11 groupset with low Q crank
- non-tubeless rims

I'll get back to that eventually but the El Mariachi, not currently being ridden much, is set up with XT 1x10. With the power and modulation of wet discs, combined with 50mm tires that transfer greater braking resistance, I really want a bigger front disc. The clutch-style rear derailleur eliminates most of the chain chatter.

That said you get used to the brakes you're using. To say otherwise is drinking the kool aid. 

thumbnails

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #3,803 of 4,419
  I really enjoy my El Mariachi set up as a hybrid. Fun on the road!!! Really bummed I didn't go ahead and build up an upgraded hybrid w/:

- Niner carbon frameset (rigid carbon fork)
- XT 1x11 groupset with low Q crank
- non-tubeless rims

I'll get back to that eventually but the El Mariachi, not currently being ridden much, is set up with XT 1x10. With the power and modulation of wet discs, combined with 50mm tires that transfer greater braking resistance, I really want a bigger front disc. The clutch-style rear derailleur eliminates most of the chain chatter.

That said you get used to the brakes you're using. To say otherwise is drinking the kool aid. 

thumbnails

Jeesus man, That thing is positively crying out for drop bars with a little dihedral on em. Makes me weep to see it.:)

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #3,806 of 4,419
My modded 1991 vintage Bridgestone CB-0 (aka CB-Zip) on rollers.  Sadly health issues preclude my use these days.

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3,807 of 4,419
I've amassed a few bikes... love vintage steel but IEMs are much easier to store. 
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,808 of 4,419
What's the stereo/headphone rig look like if the displayed bikes look this good.............

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #3,809 of 4,419
Weather finally took a turn for the better and I was able to throw on my summer clothes and do a solid ~35 miles in some gorgeous 70°F sun.

On a related note, I recently discovered (after having intermittent issues with the front derailleur ever since I bought the bike) that the shop I bought it from had installed the FD too high above the crankset. Within the last few months i've become a lot more confident in my ability to work on my own bike, so I lowered it based on a guide I found in the Shimano manual and reset the cable tension. Suffice to say I can't believe I rode the bike for so long in that state, accepting the mediocre performance of the front derailleur just because it never occured to me that the shop could have set it up wrong. It's as smooth as I could ever ask for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back