Bicycle-Fi!
Jul 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,891 of 4,425
Quote:
I never understood:
why someone would  put a bike on a car to go bike riding ...you would not put a car on a bike to go car riding
why health clubs don't have bike racks outside but have parking lots for cars

Because doing so will allow you to expand your horizons. In and around L.A. I would mix things up a bit. I would ride the Velodrome (
tongue_smile.gif
 very exciting!). Sometimes just leaving the residence and riding in any direction - toward the beach to ride along the ocean or toward the foothills or even along the L.A. River on a dedicated bike-jog-walk path. 

Then there'd be an occasion to leave the area completely. I'd drive down to San Diego or other communities out of town and ride at the destination. Also, depending on where on lives it may not always be safe to ride from the residence in a region deeply rooted in car culture with poor surrounding roads, expressways/highways until you move further away.

Yup, there'll always be brave souls but riding should not only be safe but fun! Hope my point-of-view helps. 
smiley_thumb.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,892 of 4,425
Quote:
I never understood:
why someone would  put a bike on a car to go bike riding ...you would not put a car on a bike to go car riding

You can't expect people to ride a down hill bike a hundred miles just to get to the trails. This is just painful, and even if you could do it, you'd be exhausted too much to enjoy the rest of the day. And we're not even talking about get back home.

And to some extent, this applies to just about any type of riding. I have no car, and the only place I can ride are within riding distances. I can barely reach the Laurentian Mountains that I can see rising north of here. I'd love to go ride there, but just the round trip would deplete me. I can do some 30km in a good day. This limits my rides to a 15km radius around where I live. I've been riding here for a few years, and I've seen all that was to be seen. If I had a car, I'd pack my bike, drive an hour in whichever direction, park, unpack my bike and ride there. People do that all the time, both road and mountain cyclists do it. And it makes sens. It really opens up the radius of places you can go ride your bike, and gives you a lot more places to explore.

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #1,893 of 4,425
Quote:
Quote:
I never understood:

You can't expect people to ride a down hill bike a hundred miles just to get to the trails. This is just painful, and even if you could do it, you'd be exhausted too much to enjoy the rest of the day. And we're not even talking about get back home.

And to some extent, this applies to just about any type of riding. I have no car, and the only place I can ride are within riding distances. I can barely reach the Laurentian Mountains that I can see rising north of here. I'd love to go ride there, but just the round trip would deplete me. I can do some 30km in a good day. This limits my rides to a 15km radius around where I live. I've been riding here for a few years, and I've seen all that was to be seen. If I had a car, I'd pack my bike, drive an hour in whichever direction, park, unpack my bike and ride there. People do that all the time, both road and mountain cyclists do it. And it makes sens. It really opens up the radius of places you can go ride your bike, and gives you a lot more places to explore.

Just like a breath of fresh air!
beerchug.gif

Curiously, have you ever boarded a train with your bike? Getting away is like having a mini-vacation and a workout to boot! Hope you find away.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #1,896 of 4,425
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Curiously, have you ever boarded a train with your bike? Getting away is like having a mini-vacation and a workout to boot! Hope you find away.

I never boarded a train, let alone with a bicycle. The VIA rail service that passes trough my town is ridiculously expensive and useless. It's over a hundred dollars for a single trip. Not the type of train one takes for commuting. And I'm doubtful this service lets you bring a bicycle on board... Oh no, wait, they do! For an extra 20$, for each trip. That's 40$ for a round trip... plus the price of your ticket. 
blink.gif
 And then you have to check in an hour before departure. And there's just one scheduled train per day. I mean, really?

In Canada, trains have become a tourist attraction for the rich. There's only a few commuting trains around the big cities, but they barely reach out to the suburban. 

I've been meaning to ask the bus services if they can transport bicycles in their buses. That might be an option I've yet to try.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,897 of 4,425
Quote:
Quote:

beerchug.gif

I never boarded a train, let alone with a bicycle. The VIA rail service that passes trough my town is ridiculously expensive and useless. It's over a hundred dollars for a single trip. Not the type of train one takes for commuting. And I'm doubtful this service lets you bring a bicycle on board... Oh no, wait, they do! For an extra 20$, for each trip. That's 40$ for a round trip... plus the price of your ticket. 
blink.gif
 And then you have to check in an hour before departure. And there's just one scheduled train per day. I mean, really?

In Canada, trains have become a tourist attraction for the rich. There's only a few commuting trains around the big cities, but they barely reach out to the suburban. 

I've been meaning to ask the bus services if they can transport bicycles in their buses. That might be an option I've yet to try.

I really do hope you find alternative means to escape the local surroundings once in a while - we are pulling for you. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,898 of 4,425
Quote:

As before, I've only really just started cycling again, but 30km is fairly short for a days worth of riding? I'd love to be able to do say 80km or so really for a days cycling, gives a 40km radius, which is a huge area to explore. heck, even a 15km radius give a 90km square area to explore

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,899 of 4,425

I stumbled upon this thing of beauty lately. Handbuilt by Mr. Giovanni "CIÖCC" Pelizzoli himself and what's best, it doesn't break the bank. There's a serious lack of affordable track frames with chromed lugs (*drool*).

I have a strong feeling I know what I will be building the upcoming winter.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,900 of 4,425
^ I hope to build up a fixed-gear commuter sometime next year, hopefully with an early 90's road frame, horizontal drop outs of course, and it'll be set up like a roadbike with brakes. Not in a rush, but the few items collected so far include a ti stem and cheap track pedals.

This is the ongoing road project--where I experiment going back to steel frame-age. I'm the third owner, as new Pegoretti are too expensive ($3200+) to "try out". If it works out will get a new one, which will be SWEET. Have an event this weekend and plan the build the week after. Also have a new Colnago Master X-Light on hold, which will be my third Master.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,901 of 4,425
relevant I guess,
Today my Dad taught me how to True a wheel. good day.
also, V brakes a stupid and don't adjust properly?

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,903 of 4,425
B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l. Same for the real estate!  A hard workout, then lunch at the locale with a non-cycling pedestrian for food and hydration...what a finish. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #1,905 of 4,425
Quote:
Quote:
B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l. Same for the real estate!  A hard workout, then lunch at the locale with a non-cycling pedestrian for food and hydration...what a finish. 

Have you been watching me LOL Thanks. 
regular_smile .gif

It delighted us that we could have inspired the other couple off in the distance. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back