Biasing opamps in your source to Class A via headamp without modifying the source?
Jun 12, 2007 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

balou

500+ Head-Fier
Yeah, the thread title got a bit long
biggrin.gif

Wouldn't it be possible to bias the opamps in your source (if the output is unbuffered) to class A by adding just a CCS between the input jacket of your headphone amp and the opamp? If there are any output caps, they might be in the way, but you could just remove them from your source (ok, that would add a bit of modifying). of course you would then put suitable dc blocking caps in your headamp.

Have I just missed a good reason why this wouldn't work and why nobody thought of it before? Or could this be a viable option if the opamps in your source aren't already into class a (I'm thinking of portable devices)?

Jun 12, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 8
to do such bias you need to have access to the opamp's power supply rail, + or - depends on how you want to bias it, usually the - rail. The bias is to use a CCS to cause constand DC drain from opamp output to one of its supply rail. I don't see how this can be done without modifying the source.

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by balou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I somehow had in mind that you have to tie the CCS to ground... what result would that give if you tied it to gnd instead of to V-?

If you went to ground instead of -V you'd just be loading it, not biasing it.

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Many sources have output coupling caps, so putting a CCS after it doesn't do anything because there won't be a DC path from the source's internal opamp output to it.

Also, the CCS needs to go to the opamp's supply rail (V- if you use a current sink, V+ if you use a current source, mostly commonly it's done with V- because this causes the opamp's internal NPN output transistor to be biased on all the time, and disables the PNP complement). If the CCS is tied to ground, it will not disable the PNP transistor and won't accomplish the task of making the opamp go into class A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back