biamping vs. dual mono amps
Jun 15, 2003 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dcfly

Head-Fier
Let's say I have two identical amplifiers - should I biamp them or use them as mono for the L and R channels? Why?

---
fbeb9960.jpg

Jun 15, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 6
That depends on the configuration. Both can improve the sound. Mono bridging might be a little more problematic, though - as the voltage is doubled, you might produce too much current with low impedance speakers. So that should be handled with care... On the other hand, the mono configuration might be better, if you have fairly long cable distances - you might experience an improvement by using longer line-ics and shorter speaker cables than the other way round...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 15, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 6
Most supposedly identical mono amps dont always sound identical; example monarchy sm-70 pros I tried. They sounded noticeably different as mono amps; and they sounded much better in a bi-amp configuration used as two stereo amps. I read why this would be so; something about stereo amps having the same exact same ground potential, but I dont remember enough to even begin to explain it.
confused.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 6
I use two of the same amps and have tried them both as bridged mono's and used them bi-amped. I liked bi-amped better.

Jun 16, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Depends on the speaker. Some speakers sound much better if bi-amped, but some are meant to be single-amped, even if they provide the ability to be bi-amped.

I would recommend you do more research into the particular speaker model in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back