BHSE - tube rolling
Dec 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 198

forbigger

100+ Head-Fier
Understand that this information already contained inside the BHSE mega thread. But its so scattered so I think it might be a good idea to create a separate thread just to discuss this topic.

Can someone who have experience in rolling tubes for BHSE share here on alternative tubes outside the stock EL34 ? What's the type, est price and best if can enlighten on where to get it. A little review or impression would also be great.

I personally are ready to roll some tubes so long its not going to cost me an arm and leg. I'm still on stock now.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 198
Yes the info is scattered but may be easily aggregated.
While in the BHSE thread, run a search. Use "rolling" as the keyword.
Lots of good stuff there, much to consider.

Also would like to hear of some recent considerations & recommendations.
I'm building a BH and will be starting with a quad of JJ EL34s.
They are cheap and have a good rep in audio circles. 
I have yet to experience them though.

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 198
Quote:
stupid question......at amazon it says $57 matched quad. does this mean the price of quad of 4 el34's or each is $57? but you can get a matched tubes up to 4 pcs?

Yup. $57 for the quad....total. Match numbers written on each box and good packing.
That's where I got mine, with free shipping through Amplified Parts / Amazon.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 198
Sorry for re-surrecting old thread. I would appreciate if someone can help me to list all tubes NOS or new thats compatible with BHSE. From what I gather are
1. JJ EL34
2. Tung-sol EL34Bs
3. SED Winged C EL34
4. Sovtek EL34 (I think this is the default supplied tubes from Justin)
5. Shuguang Treasure EL34

Feel free to add. My BHSE approaching 3 years, been itching for new tubes.

Also, is it really necessary to have the amp re-biased everytime we changed tubes ? I read somewhere it is not necessary as long as it is EL34

EDIT : My bad. After searching for a bit, stumped to this website amongst other http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/EL34-6CA7-Tube-Types, are they reputable seller ? Tubes here are new production. What about NOS ?

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 198
Because I wasn't that happy with the stock Mullard's that came with my BHSE, I decided to get a quad of SED Winged 'C's, however I still wasn't completely happy with the SED's.
I then got the Psvane EL34PH tubes to which I'm very happy with, I'm so happy that I won't be using the stock Mullard's or SED's again.
Just so I won't be without using PH's when something happens to them, I got another quad.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #13 of 198
@forbigger, I take it you've read the many tube-related posts in the BHSE thread? If not, you really should. Quite a few at the beginning by Elphas, then loads in the last year. It's not easy to distill all that information (including EL34PH reliability issues) into one post.

In a more general sense, any old or new EL34 or 6CA7 should be fine, and you probably won't need to adjust balance/offset - but I personally would want to have a dvm around to check anyway.

I don't know much about KT77s, but they are further from the EL34/6CA7 spec and so I'd keep the KT77s away from the BHSE. After all, there's hundreds of EL34/6CA7 models around, so you already have plenty of choice. And because there's hundreds of them, there's no point in compiling a compatibility list. What is more worthwhile is to produce a list based on Sound Quality, which Elphas, Golfnutz and TheAttorney (and others to varying levels) have already done in the BHSE thread.

I understood that the stock Mullards supplied by Justin were JJs. A number of headfiers, including me, have stated that these can easily be beaten on SQ.
And Justin has also provided the Shuguang Treasures as an optional extra.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 198
  @forbigger, I take it you've read the many tube-related posts in the BHSE thread? If not, you really should. Quite a few at the beginning by Elphas, then loads in the last year. It's not easy to distill all that information (including EL34PH reliability issues) into one post.

In a more general sense, any old or new EL34 or 6CA7 should be fine, and you probably won't need to adjust balance/offset - but I personally would want to have a dvm around to check anyway.

I don't know much about KT77s, but they are further from the EL34/6CA7 spec and so I'd keep the KT77s away from the BHSE. After all, there's hundreds of EL34/6CA7 models around, so you already have plenty of choice. And because there's hundreds of them, there's no point in compiling a compatibility list. What is more worthwhile is to produce a list based on Sound Quality, which Elphas, Golfnutz and TheAttorney (and others to varying levels) have already done in the BHSE thread.

I understood that the stock Mullards supplied by Justin were JJs. A number of headfiers, including me, have stated that these can easily be beaten on SQ.
And Justin has also provided the Shuguang Treasures as an optional extra.

You're probably right. Tubes are new to me. I just stick to stock from Justin, but as time passes by, I'm getting curious about rolling tubes, hence I resurrect this thread. Maybe a more comprehensive or concise list would be needed about the SQ based on each and own preference. And yes, these information is available on BHSE thread but its all over the place thus I think a more dedicated thread like this is needed.

So start fire away on your preference folks. I believe all the owners of BHSE need an informed decision if they wanted to tube roll.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #15 of 198
Another jump start on this thread. I dont have the BHSE, but the WES. On the EL34 front, I am using the Polam EL34. What a revelation. Amazing tube. Sadly you will not be able to find this, if available I would have bought it already!
Any on in HK with the BHSE, shall we have a shoot out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back