Beyond Etymotic... what's next?
Dec 11, 2002 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
NOTE: I have NO business posting this. I don't need other headphones. The priority for me should be to upgrade my source, amp, ICs. Yet, I feel compelled to post this anyway.

Question: what's beyond Etmotic ER4S?

I'm a fairly happy Etymotic user. LOVE the detail and extension that they provide. I'm a particularly happy Ety user when travelling. They've kept me from wanting to upgrade (well... headphones anyway) for almost a year. But, I'm now getting to the point of looking again at other cans. So... now what? I guess the thing that I'm interested in is either a.) better sound (I'm very happy with the Ety sound... just looking at options to upgrade); or b.) similar quality sound without the need to shove something into my head.

My short list in no particular order (so far... additional suggestions would be appreciated).
  1. Grado HP1
  2. Sony R10
  3. Orpheus
  4. ummmm......place your recommendations HERE

Unfortunately, those are all well out of my price range.

Any suggestions for a comfortable can that costs less than Ety ER4 that does not have to be mated to a specific amplifier to sound good?

BTW: I also have Grado 125s (and have auditioned the 225, 325, RS1). They sound pretty good, but not better (at least, not the 125s to me) than the Etys... just different..... AND they (125s) are not very comfy. Have tried Senn 600... like 'em, they're very comfy, but to my ears, they really need the upgraded cable AND a good amp to sound their best. Still a possibility, but would like to consider other options. Have tried AKG 501s and, well I wasn't all that tickled by the sound.

There's been a lot of interest about Beyer models here recently... any opinions from folks that own both Ety and Beyer (e.g., 770, 831, 250-80)?

Thanks in advance!
Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back