Beyers Bass opinion
Dec 16, 2006 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tech13

New Head-Fier
I am a relatively newbie to this site but I have been into this sort of thing for many years. My collection of headphones and portable units has grown over the years through countless ebay late nights and trading online. I am primairly from a mini-disc background whereas my main forum I visit and post at is the Audio T Board.... Anyways back to the task at hand. I own a pair of Audio Technicas A900's and am very pleased with them after many hours of use. I also own some Sony ex90's and in the past I owned various other headphones and including the every popular piece of junk Sony V700's. I am looking in the next couple of months for yet another set of cans. As a small purchase, I hope to find a pair of those new V-Modas or whatever they are called but I also plan on looking for another set of phones like my A900's. I sadly am a basshead even tho I pretty much don't listen to rap or hip hop. I havent had the time really to extensivley research all the threads on the forum about various phones. I remember reading a few places that Beyers are more for bass-heads like myself. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on these cans in comparison with my A900s. Any other suggestions that would be a better fit would be appreciated too.. Cost really isnt a factor since I've even thought about getting the Rs-1 Grados but I'm not sure I would get exactly what I wanted for a hefty 600-700 dollars. Thanks in advance!

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 11
I own A900LTD, which has same or more (mid) bass than A900. If you want more bass than A900, consider Beyer DT770. That should get you head rattling effect
basshead.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 11
OEM/unmodded Beyers are bassy, but can be quite uncontrolled at times. For a well-done pair of Beyers - and for your price range - look into ones that have been modified by Headphile.com. These are true beauties, and sound incredible with the proper amping!

Headphile Beyer Mods Page!

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 11
just get dt990s or dt770s and eq them to turn the bass up since we know they can handle it (my dt990s can atleast). coming from speakers, the dt990 pros didn't disappoint me which was surprising.

btw im joking about eq'ing the dt770s, i've heard you'll blow ur head off. (dt990s u can though)

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Most Beyers appreciate an amp to drive them, especially the ones with the higher Ohm-rating. The Headphile-modded ones could use an amp too; something small like a Total Airhead or Total Bithead should be enough to start with.

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 11
If you are OK with an open headphone, get the DT990 in the 32 ohm version. You'll be very happy with the sound, based on your posts.

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tech13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sadly am a basshead (...) I remember reading a few places that Beyers are more for bass-heads like myself.

I "sadly" am a basshead too, and a happy owner of Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO's. Coming from the Sennheiser HD 650, which by the way is an excellent headphone, I was very pleased when I listened to the DT 990 for the first time; the response and control of the bass is far better suited for my needs (bassplayer). The Beyer makes me "hear the wood" of the bassguitars, and that (IMHO) is essential in a great headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back