Beyerheiser HD880 Frankenphones - pics inside so 56k beware!
May 28, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #16 of 47
Nice transform! /me like...
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #17 of 47
Scott fantastic work! I for one love the red grill! And it looks great next to the Doctor Diablos on the stand with the Bloodwood accents.
In your PM about these phones I thought they sounded like stock DT880's, but after reading this thread it's apparent that there are two pretty big differences. The stock DT880's don't posess the same bass quantity as stock DT990's, and warmth is not a character I'd use to describe stock DT880's. It sounds like you still have the amazing detail the 880's are well known for, and the ability to reproduce beautifil vocals too. I'd have to hear them of coarse, but from reading this you may have an 880 I'd be very happy to have. It sounds like a great outcome to me. My advice would be not to tweak anything for a while, and give them some good headtime. Once you've gotten to know their character well you could decide if they need tweaking. I have to say though that if I could tweak a stock pair of DT880's to add more but contolled bass, and a bit of warmth, that's exactly what I'd want.
Now I'm really wanting to hear these! Can't wait to hear a mini shootout with these and 600 ohm DT990's too. Don't you love it when you can take an old pair of phones out of the closet and give them new life?
Very cool project!

May 28, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock 880s have some fairly major baffling material which I'm sure controlled the bass.

Not much. I once removed the damping felt at one side and did some mono file listening. Couldn't hear any difference.

May 28, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #19 of 47
Nice job.

Although I am more interested in what you did to the DR150's. I took mine apart last night
evil_smiley.gif
. From my brief investigation they look very friendly for modification with the drivers easy to get out the way and everything easily accessible. I experimented with covering the backs to effectivly make them closed, although my solution of using gaffer tape was far from perfect, I did notice a change in the sound.

Would be really interested to hear about what you did to yours and the effects
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice would be not to tweak anything for a while, and give them some good headtime. Once you've gotten to know their character well you could decide if they need tweaking.

Sounds like good advice, Steve. I'll keep them as they are for now. Especially after what Nickchen just said. Plus, it would be a challenge to put in some baffling and keep them looking good since the grills are so open. I also like being able to see the drivers.

May 28, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #21 of 47
Thanks for the complements, all. This build was a total blast and I did it in one night. Uh... a rather long night. There were some interesting challenges which makes it all the more fun.
cool.gif
I think the hardest thing of all was forcing myself not to listen to them after I was done since I wanted to give the silicone some time to cure. I thought I could wait 24 hours but I only lasted 12.
tongue.gif

May 28, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #22 of 47
Congratulations again! Very impressive mod.

May 28, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like good advice, Steve. I'll keep them as they are for now. Especially after what Nickchen just said. Plus, it would be a challenge to put in some baffling and keep them looking good since the grills are so open. I also like being able to see the drivers.

Yeah it would be a shame to cover the drivers with damping, because they look so good behind the grills now! These are some wickedly menacing looking phones, and they may even be scaring the Docs when they're on the stand.
tongue.gif

May 28, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 47
Glad to see you have finally LOST YOUR MIND

and gone off the deep end ...

and Frankenphoned your own gear ;

must be like doing surgery on your own foot ................or ear.................anyway ,

that takes both ingenuity and guts.

I will be over this summer to try your creation(s)

3000smile.gif

May 28, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony10461 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to see you have finally LOST YOUR MIND

and gone off the deep end ...

and Frankenphoned your own gear ;

must be like doing surgery on your own foot ................or ear.................anyway ,

that takes both ingenuity and guts.

I will be over this summer to try your creation(s)

3000smile.gif

And I'll be checking your bags when you leave!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #26 of 47
Very nice indeed! It may have been one very long night, but yes, it also looks as though it certainly must have been one very fun night as well!!

Well Done!

May 28, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #28 of 47
Wow, those look great. I too remember the comfort of my old HD590's, so I can see the appeal.
cool.gif

May 28, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #29 of 47
Hmmm....I wonder Scott if the leather crimsom Beyer pads would frankin fit
wink.gif

Prolly not unfortunatly.....

Hyper nice job for the save
smily_headphones1.gif

/ Got leather crimson Beyers pads on the mind /

Users who are viewing this thread

Back