Beyerdynamics T1 vs LCD-2, which one is a better all-rounders?
Feb 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #16 of 33
Trust me, the T1 isn't that savage of a pair of headphones. Every song I've thrown at it, it has reproduced with amazing accuracy and clarity, but none have been unlistenable.

Either way, I picked the T1 because I read around and found it was a great all-arounder, and since I was going to be using it for Movies, Music, and Gaming, it was a simple choice.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #18 of 33

Quote:
Trust me, the T1 isn't that savage of a pair of headphones. Every song I've thrown at it, it has reproduced with amazing accuracy and clarity, but none have been unlistenable.

Either way, I picked the T1 because I read around and found it was a great all-arounder, and since I was going to be using it for Movies, Music, and Gaming, it was a simple choice.

Really? Can you tell me what kind of music you're listening to?

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:
The T1 is an accurate headphone. Garbage in Garbage out. An audiophile would appreciate all the qualities of the T1. If its a bad recording I want to know its bad. I dont like any headphone that makes all recordings sound  good.

Like a typical beyer the T1s have elevated treble, personally I love this but it is the reason why bad recordings are amplified. The T1 also has a bit of a bass-boost so it will straighten up some lacking tracks but ruin others.

For this reason I wouldn't consider the T1 an all-rounder, it's more of a high-end electronica phone.

Quote:
I guess our definition of audiophile is different then. I just love music, and I want my music (which I assume consisted  of mostly of badly recorded tracks) to sound good. If accuracy destroys my music, I would rather not have that.

If all my tracks are well recorded, I would choose the Beyer T1 in a heartbeat because its accuracy does sound very appealing to me(most of the flagships I have heard are colored in some ways). Sadly, they're not and I have to compromise.

If you want all your music to sound great the T1 would be a good choice over most neutral headphones. 

Quote:

An opposite opinion from the above one, (given that you like the Beyer treble) I too think if you want all your music to sound good the T1 is a good choice.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #20 of 33
I listen to just about everything, from jazz, classical, to heavy metal, black metal, post rock, indie, and rap. I have yet to run into a problem where it made a song unlistenable. Some of those genres - particularly indie and post rock - usually record and release their albums independently, so quality of the tracks overall can be hit or miss, but I haven't found something yet.

Though of course, it might be my treble loving nature and the fact I have yet to try out a pair of the LCD2.

Take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #21 of 33
I'm going to add the HD800 to it later. But I've read the Q701 is bass lighter than the T1, and considering I find the T1's to have just a touch too little sub bass (mid bass however is perfect), I probably won't bother to try them. Bass presence and extension is still very important. It's getting that balance between transparency and bass impact that's the greatest task.

Quote:
Well, this case maybe you should add the Q701 to your next review.
k701smile.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #23 of 33

Quote:
I'm going to add the HD800 to it later. But I've read the Q701 is bass lighter than the T1, and considering I find the T1's to have just a touch too little sub bass (mid bass however is perfect), I probably won't bother to try them. Bass presence and extension is still very important. It's getting that balance between transparency and bass impact that's the greatest task.

The T1 boost on the 20Hz will not add you more impact over the Q701... there is not so much music information there anyway, and in terms of transparency both are about the same.  

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:
You'd be hard pressed to get a true 20hz signal from a headphone driver anyways.  Frequencies that low are moreso felt, and you need lots of air displacement to do so.

As cheap as it may be I think the Sony XB500 go about as low as I've heard in a headphone... and with that much 'flab' it hangs over into the mids. With any headphone there is a fine line between bass extension and balance, I find the DT880s perfectly accurate while the D7000 I find really extended yet exaggerated.

If you're looking for more bass than the T1 Naim.F.C you are most definitely deeply in the colored headphone section.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #27 of 33
I also have both, and would go for the T1 if gaming and watching movies are a solid part of your "regimen".

I'm one who would consider the T1 a little over-emphasized on the highs (as opposed to innately more detailed), which isn't necessarily a bad thing - but I think that trait makes them well suited for the cool sound effects you'll get in games and movies, and they also have a really wide soundstage that isn't very amp or source dependent (in my experience). I also think T1s would be far more comfortable for gaming situations. The LCD2 is a bit clunky/heavy.

I'd take the LCD2 for music though - I just find them more engaging and natural.

IMHO, YMMV, etc!

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #30 of 33

Quote:
Well considering "all-rounder" you would have to factor in comfort issues. Just keep in mind that the LCD2's are pretty heavy, try it out before you actually dish out for one

I already have the LCD-2. And yes, It's really heavy. That's part of the reason I'm leaning more towards the T-1 right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back