Beyerdynamics T1...driving suggestions
Feb 13, 2010 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DoReMi

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm so new to all this matter that I dont even know if I qualify for asking such a thing in the proper manner
L3000.gif

(patiently forgive my english along the way..
popcorn.gif
)
After following the huge thread on T1 where a lot of people greatly contributed to help me empty my wallet, I ended up ordering the T1.
So far my only hifi "experience" is based on listening to the 325is streight out of my Soundmax soundcard and my iriver Clix2 mp3 player.
I know I've got a looong way to go before actually starting to understand what all this wonderful hifi trip is all about, but I felt I should start from somewhere. So, 12 weeks to go before getting my T1, and few questions I'd love to ask you guys, and especially to MacedonianHero and SkyLab (btw, thanks guys for the extended affort you put into helping everybody out in better understanding this new top phones
beerchug.gif
) :
1. My budget can't exceed the €.1000 at the very most for both ampli and DAC.
2. I understand tubes are better to drive this can... is it absolutely a rule or you can think of a ss ampli that gets real close to it.
3. What combo ( tube and DAC or SS and DAC) woul you suggest.
4. My music taste is very much like MacedonianHero (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin..) but also electronic . No opera what so ever.
5. As far portable is concerned, understanding I wont be able to get that close to a home ampli, any raccomandations?

I apologize if these questions had being answered somwhere else in detail, but after going trough every single page of the thread I still find myself not being able to make a proper decision.
Thanks in advance to anyone's time .

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 5
I ordered T1 myself and I will probably use it mainly with my solid state amp- SPL Auditor, which has very impressive specs for high impedance load 1,7W @ 600 ohms. spl auditor - Google Produktsuche there seem to be places, where Auditor can be had for 600 euros + shipping. It is wonderful and transparent amp. Or you may buy Concerto as suggested by Skylab. Macedonianhero uses Cambridge Audio Dacmagic in his setup, which can be had for little over 300 euros +shipping in Europe. This should fit your budget pretty well.

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 5
thanks argentum, I did have a look at spl auditor but I wasn't shure it had enough power to drive T1, also because i was enable to interpreter the specifications... I anyway did put it on my waiting list. What do you think about tubes? Arent they more complicated to handle and setup, I mean with all the different specifications every single tube has you'll had to try (read buy!) lots of them before getting where you think is the best sound for you( besides the next one of course).

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Honestly these 600ohm cans are best synergized with tubes!

Being high impedance, they really need high voltage swings to properly power them and this is where tubes are typically better!

The T1s are absolutely stunning with my tube amp (see my sig.). I did try them on a buddy's B22 and they were really good, but I still preferred the tube amping option!
beyersmile.png

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoReMi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks argentum, I did have a look at spl auditor but I wasn't shure it had enough power to drive T1, also because i was enable to interpreter the specifications... I anyway did put it on my waiting list. What do you think about tubes? Arent they more complicated to handle and setup, I mean with all the different specifications every single tube has you'll had to try (read buy!) lots of them before getting where you think is the best sound for you( besides the next one of course).

I use T1 with Phonitor and I like them more then HD800.
Even with old cds and some sacds Phonitor runs between 9 to 2 really loud without loss of clarity or dynamics, some new cds are recorded much louder. Auditor is basically same with better numbers for distortion (unaudible anyway), benefit of purer design. WA3 sounds different nice with HD800 and I think it would work with T1. SPL emailed me that Phonitor was designed for 600Ohm and Beyerdynamics highlight T1 efficiency due to strong magnet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back