Beyerdynamics DT880-250 ohms vs Sennheiser 598 (or something else)
Jul 27, 2014 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

CrackerSmasher

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi

First post here and I was looking for some answers and thought I would just ask the entirety of these forums for feedback.

I was looking for a nice pair of headphones (around the $100-$200 USD price range) and finally came to the conclusion of the Beyerdynamics 880-250 ohms or the Sennheiser 598. 
Honestly, I am leaning more towards the DT880, but i do love the look and feel of the Senn 598. Ive only put on the 598, but not the DT880's

I will mainly use these headphones at home on my desktop for gaming, music, and I hope to start producing. I also have an iPhone 5S which i listen to music on also.
I listen to EDM and will be using them mainly at home, and if i get a carrying case, maybe outside of my home. 
I DO NOT use an amp on either of my devices, and dont plan on buying one in the near future.

From what I've found in my research, the DT880's require more to power than the 598, but what I don't know is if this would take away from the sound quality of the phones, or if it is just the volume that it affects; both on my iPhone and my computer. Knowing this would be helpful.

I've also read that the 598's dont have as much bass as someone like me would desire, but im not so sure about that
I would like to know how the two compare sound-wise, and if my computer and/or my iPhone could power either

Thanks in advance
CrackerSmasher

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 31
If you have no plans on buying a headphone amplifier, then the DT880 might be a waste of cash, as it really needs to be used with a headphone amplifier to bring out it's best.
The HD558 uses the same driver as the HD598.
So get a HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, as the tape covers about 40% of the air holes.
Removing the black rubber tape makes the HD558 sound somewhat like the HD598.
Amazon sells used HD558 starting at $93.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 31
  If you have no plans on buying a headphone amplifier, then the DT880 might be a waste of cash, as it really needs to be used with a headphone amplifier to bring out it's best.
So get a HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, as the tape covers about 40% of the air holes.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Agreed.  The DT 880 is the better can (if you're OK with a bright headphone), but only if you add a decent amp.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 31
Like others, I prefer the 880s, but also I think you really ought to look at pairing an amp with them. You don't need to go high end — quite the contrary. My friend has DT990 250 Ω, and he uses one of the cheapest Fiio amps. You can do better than that if you want, but getting an amp like the Schiit Magni or Vali or a low end Fiio would really help you get the most enjoyment from them. Not trying to sell you on a super high-end amp and DAC combo, but something that has the power to drive the 880s is really needed. I'm sure someone in the for sale/trade forums here has a good deal on something for you.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 31

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff
So if i didnt get the amp, it would take away from the sound quality?
And even my desktop (i know my iPhone wouldnt be able to power it) wouldnt be able to power it?

If i were to buy an amp, what would you guys recommend?

If i decided not to buy an amp, would it be better to buy the hd 598, or another beyerdynamic, maybe like in a lower impedence?

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 31

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff
So if i didnt get the amp, it would take away from the sound quality?
And even my desktop (i know my iPhone wouldnt be able to power it) wouldnt be able to power it?

If i were to buy an amp, what would you guys recommend?

If i decided not to buy an amp, would it be better to buy the hd 598, or another beyerdynamic, maybe like in a lower impedence?

Only if you get amp, should you consider buying a 250 Ohm headphone--like the DT 880 you are considering.

Unless you computer has a sound card (not on-board sound or a chip) and that sound card has a built in amp that will properly drive 250 Ohm headphones, it may do worse (and will certainly little better) than your iPhone.

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 31

Only if you get amp, should you consider buying a 250 Ohm headphone--like the DT 880 you are considering.

Unless you computer has a sound card (not on-board sound or a chip) and that sound card has a built in amp that will properly drive 250 Ohm headphones, it may do worse (and will certainly little better) than your iPhone.

If I were to go for an 80 ohms version of a DT770 instead, do you think it would be able to be powered by my phone and/or my computer

What also confuses me is why a 250 ohms pair of DT880 are less exspensive than a 32 ohm pair? I would think that if it took more to power a pair of headphone, it would have better sound quality

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 31

If I were to go for an 80 ohms version of a DT770 instead, do you think it would be able to be powered by my phone and/or my computer

What also confuses me is why a 250 ohms pair of DT880 are less exspensive than a 32 ohm pair? I would think that if it took more to power a pair of headphone, it would have better sound quality

The DT 770 (in whatever flavor) is not a closed version of the DT 880.  The DT 770 has a "V" shaped sound signature with very recessed mids.  It is also a very large headphone.

The more efficient versions of these cans (80 & 32 Ohms respectively) are not as good as the 250 ohms and up versions.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 31

The DT 770 (in whatever flavor) is not a closed version of the DT 880.  The DT 770 has a "V" shaped sound signature with very recessed mids.  It is also a very large headphone.

The more efficient versions of these cans (80 & 32 Ohms respectively) are not as good as the 250 ohms and up versions.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Yes I understand that the 770's aren't the same as the 880's. Sorry, that was bad wording on my part. I was just wondering why (for both pairs actually) the 250 ohms versions were cheaper than the 32 ohms versions. If the 250 ohms sound better, why are 32 ohms pairs more expensive?
Is there something that im missing here?

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 31

(cant post links for some reason)

Yes I understand that the 770's aren't the same as the 880's. Sorry, that was bad wording on my part. I was just wondering why (for both pairs actually) the 250 ohms versions were cheaper than the 32 ohms versions. If the 250 ohms sound better, why are 32 ohms pairs more expensive?

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 31
Listening volume is a function of ohms and spl.  Since the Beyer's have a relatively low spl number (96), you'll want to compensate by getting the lowest ohm version for use with your smartphone or basic computer setup.  Who knows what the supply and demand curve for these different headphones look like, but maybe the market forces reflect in some way that the 32 ohm (for smartphone people) and 600 ohm (for audiophile people) are most sought after given a fixed supply.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 31

I don't have any cost of manufacturing or any other inside information.  My guess is that the 32 Ohm pair compete with cans designed for portable use.  That means their competition is overpriced cans like Beats.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 31

I don't have any cost of manufacturing or any other inside information.  My guess is that the 32 Ohm pair compete with cans designed for portable use.  That means their competition is overpriced cans like Beats.

O ok thanks anyway. If anything, i would be using these more often than not at my computer. Even so, i feel like getting an amp is a good long term investment.
Do you guys have any recommendation on what i should get?
The DT880 250 ohms are already a little bit over my budget, so something with the most bang for buck under maybe $100

Thanks

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 31
  What also confuses me is why a 250 ohms pair of DT880 are less expensive than a 32 ohm pair? I would think that if it took more to power a pair of headphone, it would have better sound quality

The DT880 Premium 32-Ohm headphones have the word "Premium" in it's title, which makes it sound like it's better then a headphone with the word "Pro" in it's title (DT880 Pro 250-Ohm).
The 32-Ohm DT880s are easier to drive then the DT880 250-Ohm headphones, but the DT880 32-Ohm headphone really only sound their best when used with a dedicated headphone amplifier.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 31

O ok thanks anyway. If anything, i would be using these more often than not at my computer. Even so, i feel like getting an amp is a good long term investment.
Do you guys have any recommendation on what i should get?
The DT880 250 ohms are already a little bit over my budget, so something with the most bang for buck under maybe $100

Thanks

UE 6000.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back