Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro or Sony MDR-XB700?
Feb 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Doomtomb

New Head-Fier
So the DT770 Pro (80 ohm) is about twice the price of the MDR-XB700. 

I am looking for some cans that are comfortable with good clarity and great bass. I want to clearly hear the bass in electronic music and kickdrum in rock.

I'm guessing people are going to say the DT770 are more like studio monitors and that's fine as long as they got the bass too but I wouldn't mind a fun sounding pair of cans either.

EDIT: 
I have a headphone amp

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 9
They are both good headphones for the price. With this decision, the deciding factor is treble. If you want brightness in the treble, go with Beyers. If you want a warmer, more forgiving sound, go with the Sony.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
So the DT770 Pro (80 ohm) is about twice the price of the MDR-XB700. 
I am looking for some cans that are comfortable with good clarity and great bass. I want to clearly hear the bass in electronic music and kickdrum in rock.
I'm guessing people are going to say the DT770 are more like studio monitors and that's fine as long as they got the bass too but I wouldn't mind a fun sounding pair of cans either.

With the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-ohm headphones, you really need to get a headphone amplifier to bring out their best.
I'm guessing you do not need a headphone amplifier with the Sony MDR-XB700.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
With the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-ohm headphones, you really need to get a headphone amplifier to bring out their best.
I'm guessing you do not need a headphone amplifier with the Sony MDR-XB700.

I actually think the XB700's need an amp more than the DT770 Pro's. The bass is really muddy without one, making it nearly impossible to do something as simple as follow a bassline.

Personally I'd go with the Beyers. They have plenty of bass, but from top to bottom they are more refined. Not to mention the isolation is outstanding, and comfort is pretty comparable to the XB700's, thanks to Beyerdynamic's awesome velour.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Both headphones benefit a lot from amping. I wouldn't concider BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro be worth anywhere its price point without at least some basic amping. Kickdrums for rock isn't optimal on either of them IMO, M-Audio Q40 could be a great alternative that handles any kind of bass strong but accurately.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 9
I would test both of them if possible.  but my vote is for the dt 770s because of versatility of sound, and i find them just "clearer".  If i was going to pick the xb700s, i would probably get the xb500s cause i find them more fun.

So i would buy dt 770s and xb500s.  Dont underestimate the funness of the dt 770s though!

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I have a headphone amp so that won't be a problem.

Cool, get the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, I do not like the sound of the Sony XB series anyway.

There are some used DT770 Pro 80-Ohm for sale on eBay, bidding ends in 50 minutes (7:15 PM PST)
Current price is $115.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back