Beyerdynamics DT770 Disappointment
Nov 14, 2017 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ilovebreakfastburritos

New Head-Fier
So I started my venture into hifi audio about a month ago. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. They sounded good knowing that I still needed a DAC and headphone amp. Then I bought a Schiit stack(Modi 2 Uber and Magni 3). They sounded amazing. I still think I want to upgrade to a Jotunheim at some point for the separation and added power. I will also buy some balanced cables for the 650s.

I decided to buy a pair of closed back headphones to travel with and also use as recording headphones to help out my buddy that records rap tracks with his friends(they suck but they enjoy it and I don't mind helping out). I bought the Beyerdynamics DT770s in 250 ohm because the reviews boasted sub bass and accuracy. I found that I am very disappointed by the lack of mids in these cans. The bass sounds great, the treble is clean, but the vocals seriously suffer due to the lack of mids.

I think I am going to return these but I am curious what you guys would recommend to replace them. I am considering a pair of Shure SRH840s. I am looking for the kind of accuracy you get in the 650s but in closed back. I know that's a tough bill to fill.

Am I just completely wrong about this? Some songs sound fine but I am very disappointed by the mids and vocals. Are my expectations of the dt770s just too high?

TL;DR: Looking for a new pair of accurate closed back headphones. Beyerdynamics dt770 sucked at mids. Considering Shure SRH840s. Looking for a quality pair of accurate closed back headphones for listening and occasional recording.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 8
DT770s are v-shaped,meaning the mids are recessed/suck.
Go find yourself a used pair of Sennheiser HD250s.You will thank me later.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 8
For audio mixing, check out the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 (cost, $100).

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd say for closed back a used Denon AH-D2000 in very good condition or E-Mu Teak, Fostex Th610 or TH6xx.

They are less recessed than the 770, but if you want something more similar to your HD650 I'd second the recommendation for the HD250, which a great mid-range.

It is a vintage headphone though. But some are in very good condition and will last for many years still.

The great thing with some of the older models, is you get to test out signatures without spending a ton of money. Also, you may find that they match or in some ways exceed newer headphones as the technology (ins some cases) hasn't changed substantially.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 8
The Beyerdynamic DT150's have been touted as a similar sounding can to the Senn's 650 but in closed back form, maybe worth a look?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 8
I like the idea of the HD250s but I'm a little concerned the Magni 3 won't be able to power them adequately. They power my HD650s fine but I'm still left feeling I could use a bit more power. I haven't had time to research the other recommendations. Amazon is giving me until Jan 31st to return these so I'm going to keep listening for a while to give some burn in time and see if my mind changes.

But keep the recommendations coming. If anything I will still figure out what to buy next. I hate it because I love everything about these cans besides the lack of mids.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs. You will have to find them used.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 8
Lots of good suggestions. I moved from the 650 to the DT-150 to get the vocals clear enough for me (not perfect but good). Magni 3 has tons of power for them and that is what I run. Some of the wonkiness you may have heard with the 650 may have to do with the Jot. I could not listen to the Jot (dac version) with several cans when I had some time with it. Really cannot see how it became so popular for the 650s, but to each their own. whatever makes you happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back