Beyerdynamics DT-770/80 Pro...all I can say is WOW !!!
Dec 20, 2008 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ArmAndHammer

Headphoneus Supremus
My first real cans have arrived. Ordered on Tuesday, arrived today. Not bad. Got them new off ebay for $149 shipped. Anyways, straight out of the box and running straight off my computer with a really crappy sound card and they are still fantastic to me. Of course being my first pair, anything would probably impress me but I think these will keep my happy for a while. And my Little Dot I+ should be here next week hopefully so I should really be in music nirvana. Once I get a few hours on these I will do a review and update as they burn in and after I get the amp. I thank you guys, my wallet curses you, but it's all good.

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first real cans have arrived. Ordered on Tuesday, arrived today. Not bad. Got them new off ebay for $149 shipped. Anyways, straight out of the box and running straight off my computer with a really crappy sound card and they are still fantastic to me. Of course being my first pair, anything would probably impress me but I think these will keep my happy for a while. And my Little Dot I+ should be here next week hopefully so I should really be in music nirvana. Once I get a few hours on these I will do a review and update as they burn in and after I get the amp. I thank you guys, my wallet curses you, but it's all good.

Does your ears pain from those by chance? Like your ear drum?

Especially at high volume how long can you listen to those before you start getting ear aches?

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 17
Congrats on your first major headphone purchase ArmAndHammer! I hope they break in well and that you enjoy them.

If you game online try them out. Their positioning will blow you away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Especially at high volume how long can you listen to those before you start getting ear aches?

What exactly about his description made you wonder if these headphones would cause ear pain and/or ear aches?
confused.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't listen at high volume, problem solved.
rolleyes.gif

No, the 770 isn't perfect but really fun IMO and comfy as hell.

Enjoy! ...it's only just begun
evil_smiley.gif

mon.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy! ...it's only just begun
evil_smiley.gif

That is what I am afraid of.

As far as comfort, yeah, VERY comfy. The highs are there but definitely not painful in any way. Very very pleasing to my noob ears. The bass like all the reviews have stated is definitely there. I am not a basshead so it is a tad much but it was a very easy fix by tuning it down using the EQ in Windows Media Player. Maybe not the best way to fix it but seems to work and the heavy bass is not there anymore. So far I cannot not be happier. I have been listening to Dave Mathews live and I can honestly say it is almost like being there.

As far as gaming, yeah, I play Call of Duty on Xbox 360 Live. I am excited to try them out once I figure out how to hook the cans up to the xbox so I can hear the game. Any help with that?

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 17
love those beyers....

Amazon.com: 2 x RCA Male / 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female, Y-Cable, 6 inch: Electronics

This is a 3.5 mm female to RCA cable. There are +/- expensive variants around. You could plug your Beyers into this and then plug directly into the xbox. I'm not so familiar with the xbox, so if anyone else knows whether or not 80 Ohms is pushing it, chime in. Considering this model was designed to work with computers/portable devices, I think you should be fine until you get your amp. Maybe just don't crank it. The quality of sound might be degraded using an adaptor like the above. Not many high quality options, from what I can tell. But if it's only temprary it probably doesn't really matter. This is going to be the route I go until I amp up. My source is the Sony Playstation SCPH-1001. Before I get bashed, know that I did not get it from ebay. I am the original owner of it and after reading all the malarky I tried it out myself. Sounds very smooth. Not comparing it to $6,000 players, though. But my ears like it. Better than the Cambridge 540C...

Anyway, looking forward to post burn in remarks. Enjoy!

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks. I actually have one of those and tried it straight off my TV and I got the sound but it was really low and no way to turn it up. There is also nowhere on the xbox to plug in to. I'll have to keep playing with it to see if I can get something to work.

Also, here is a pre-burn thread I started. I will keep it updated as the cans get burned in and I upgrade my source equipment.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...80-pro-392895/

Dec 20, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #8 of 17
I found the 770's cos I wanted bass and percussion that would rival my Speakers (Tannoy 15" HPD's).
I have had Grado SR-125's (just not me) and Sennheiser HD-650's as main home phones.
I actually liked the punch of my portable Audio Technica ANC7 noise cancelling phones better than the HD-650's. Yes, I was driving the 650's properly (yawn).

Anyway I think the 770 pro's give a really fun sound. A bit like having a good night out with a fun country girl. Much more entertaining than a posh girl (whose technically more beautiful and correct) who never really gets on down
icon10.gif

I've not found any ear drum problems - the opposite, you can get good bass and percussion at lower volumes and some of the new sounds you hear the first few times are interesting and surprising. Yes turn them up loud and your ear drums will pulsate...

Dec 20, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy.steve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit like having a good night out with a fun country girl.

I resent this remark. Not all country girls have skull-crushing bass and recessed mids.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 17
My 770 Pro/80s sound absolutely awesome (especially with the I+.) I keep thinking I would like to upgrade from them, but I am not at all certain that that is possible.
(Basically, I want closed cans that sound almost exactly like the 770s but with an even bigger soundstage and slightly more rolled-off highs. Does such a thing exist? Even the insanely expensive W5000s are unsuitable, since they have weaker bass than the 770s!)

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I resent this remark. Not all country girls have skull-crushing bass and recessed mids.
biggrin.gif

XD A good reply to an original comment I thought was funny too!

<3 my DT770s (2005 250Ohm). Im in a similar situation that these are my first major headphones, so I may be uninformed when I say that they are near perfect to my ears. Everyone always said growing up that I liked a lot of bass. I never really thought I did, but apparently I do if I find the bass on these almost perfect XD

Seems to be a recent boom in interest in the DT770s. Im looking at either buying a Compass, or if that doesnt do well, SOHA II. Given the recent interest in these phones, Ill try to write up a solid review of whichever I get.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 770 Pro/80s sound absolutely awesome (especially with the I+.) I keep thinking I would like to upgrade from them, but I am not at all certain that that is possible.
(Basically, I want closed cans that sound almost exactly like the 770s but with an even bigger soundstage and slightly more rolled-off highs. Does such a thing exist? Even the insanely expensive W5000s are unsuitable, since they have weaker bass than the 770s!)

Yes, it does: the DT150!
Deep and strong bass, textured and detailed.
Excellent soundstage, wider than DT770 Pro.
No exaggerated sibilance and/or harsh highs.
Very powerful and musical cans.
I owned the DT770 Pro, and to my ears the DT150 are a significant upgrade.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Those are more affordable than the other options I was considering (Terminator V4s or D7000s.) Might be worth a try. Thanks!

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back