Beyerdynamic wire connection?
Jul 28, 2001 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

chych

The butter knife's second victim.
Anyone know how the wire of Beyerdynamic phones connect? I mean, is it possible to take it out of the earcup without cutting things... I can't seem to do so without cutting some plastic...

I need to figure out if it is possible to replace the driver and earcup myself...

Jul 28, 2001 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 2
I guess it would depend on model... I would say that without a soldering iron, no you can't. And skill/courage... I could do it in a couple minutes... I don't know if you're comfortable poking plastic things with a really hot metal stick.
smily_headphones1.gif

Like, ok, lemme tell you about DT831s...

You pop off the earpad with your friend, the butterknife. This separates the whole thing. Then you see what looks like a thin sheet of Tyvek on a plastic spyder. Turn that over GENTLY and you'll see the two wires that connect to the transducer. There's a felt batting around the back of the transducer, just lift it off. You'll see a plastic cage under that, just pull straight up on it gently. (the "spokes" are evenly spaced except for one location, this is the opening that straddles the wire terminals for when you're putting it back together)

Tada! There's your driver. And those tiny wires soldered in place. Also, look where the cable enters the earcup... it's got a metal crimp around the strain relief... cutting that will free the cord, but then you'll have to rig a new cord gripper.

(AND - in case someone is in here... do NOT pull up the felt batting in the back of the driver shell... the glue is sticky and this is here for a reason... to control resonance. Muck about at your own risk)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back