Beyerdynamic T90 vs Sennheiser HD650
Mar 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mbmzor

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.  I have been searching the internet like a mad man trying to find out what the opinion is between both cans. 

Current Equipment:
I own the Senn-HD650's and the BD-DT990Pro 250.  I amp them from my Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card and both sound amazing.  I also have a Fiio e17 for my laptop.

Musical Preference:
I am mostly an electronic music guy, Chip/trance/drum-bass so on.

Question:
I was wondering if anyone out there has an opinion based on first-hand experience with both cans.

My HD650's are like a tank, they take anything you throw at them without distortion or speaker flutter, they just lack a bit of the warmth the DT990pro's have.  The Dt990pro's will start to flutter and pop when volume is high and music with sub-bass is playing, at the point, I have to EQ down the low-end a bit... but not with the HD650's!

I would assume for the price difference between the T90 and the DT-990's the driver they used has to be a much higher quality.  I found one review by Alan at headphonereviewHQ and he swears by them being better than the HD650's and Tyll at Innerfidelity doesn't have a review up yet of them, so I figured I would make a post here and if someone out there owns either of these, any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks for your help!!

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 13
I see you like the bassier type of music, and the bassier type of tone. I would suggest to get the T90's due to their warmer type of sound ,and I hear the bass is really tight. The beyer house sound is warmer and bassy. The sennheiser house sound is analytical and tight. I would suggest to get the T90's to compliment the 650's.

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 13
This is actually my first "post" on Head-Fi. As background, I am 59, built my first amp from a kit when I was 12 and have been involved with music and equipment all my life. One of the most interesting things I find in the headphone field today is the "footballing" of prices versus M.S.R.P. I guess the still "soft" economy plays into this picture. It becomes darn near crazy to try to comment on headphones and their value/sound in a give category, versus a direct competitor or especially price. Sorry for the rambling. Here is what I mean. I just bought the Beyerdynamics DT-990 Pros for $145 on Amazon (I think because they were the 250 ohm version). The same phones in the 32 ohm version are $395 Hooked up to a Little Dot1+ played by a $1000 Denon SACD player, the music is heavenly (and the phones aren't even broken in yet). I have auditioned the Sennheiser 650s allot. I like them and their reputation speaks for itself. At the Beyer's M.S.R.P. of $300 compared to the lowest cost I have found on the 650s ($365), it becomes a horse race. But when you consider what I paid for the Beyer's, it's no contest. I own Sennheiser 590s I got years ago for $200 and the Beyers blow them away. I'm sorry I can't comment on the T90 but since you mentioned the DT 990s I wanted to start to add to a discussion on Head-Fi. Knowing what I know about the DT 990s and Sennheiser 650s, I would assume  the T90s would be better. I actually have purchased 10 pairs of headphones in the last year. I am an aggressive "deal" shopper and it gives me a chance to try allot of different products for not much money (my personal strategy is don't buy unless the price is 60% - 80% off M.R.S.P.). The Beyers are the best phones I own.One last example to make my point. I plan to make my final phones purchase the AKG 702s which are often compared to the 650s. In the $300 -$500 price range, the 702s have some good competition. However, I found them for $189 new so that basically that seals the deal. See what I mean?

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 13
good stuff.  Thanks all for your input.  I actually found a local store where I can do audition the cans with my own music and amp.  I will bring my HD600's and HD650's to pit against the T90's.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 13
...T90's due to their warmer type of sound

No. HD650 is the warmer can.

...I hear the bass is really tight.

Yes. T90's bass is punchy and tight with good impact.

The beyer house sound is warmer and bassy. The sennheiser house sound is analytical and tight.
Other way around. Beyer's house sound is pretty much, "Aim for neutral; Overshoot into bright."

I would suggest to get the T90's to compliment the 650's.
+1. They're different enough if you can afford doing so.

For those interested; Quick comparison of T90s(~1000 hrs) vs HD600(300hrs)/650(<10hrs)
T90s :
Highs are bright and airy, lots of sparkle. Can be sibilant if not amped well. Bass is tight and punchy but with good impact. Very good imaging and seperation but soundstage is average. Mids can be either thin or just right depending on the listener's preference. Listening to the T90s can be fatiguing if you don't favor the sound signature. T90s are a very polarizing HP.

HD600 :
Smoother highs and more laid back highs. Mids are warm and (for me) a little forward. Bass sounds very single noted. Lacks detail but has good impact/thumping power.

HD650:
Just darkness. Hence, sold in less than 10 hours of use.

E: Also, If your fave playlist has ANY poorly recorded tracks, you will have a bad time with the T90s due to the giant spotlight via bright highs.
E2: Forgot the comparison part. lol

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 13
I've never ever heard the HD650's described as lacking warmth.

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 13
No. HD650 is the warmer can.

Yes. T90's bass is punchy and tight with good impact.

Other way around. Beyer's house sound is pretty much, "Aim for neutral; Overshoot into bright."

+1. They're different enough if you can afford doing so.

For those interested; Quick comparison of T90s(~1000 hrs) vs HD600(300hrs)/650(<10hrs)
T90s :
Highs are bright and airy, lots of sparkle. Can be sibilant if not amped well. Bass is tight and punchy but with good impact. Very good imaging and seperation but soundstage is average. Mids can be either thin or just right depending on the listener's preference. Listening to the T90s can be fatiguing if you don't favor the sound signature. T90s are a very polarizing HP.

E: Also, If your fave playlist has ANY poorly recorded tracks, you will have a bad time with the T90s due to the giant spotlight via bright highs.

+1 for all of this information. Had the 650s a while ago and found them overly warm and a little loose in the low end. Only recently sold my T90s and I go back and forth on whether that was a good idea. Top 5 headphones I've ever heard. Dynamic bass, clear rich mids, and crystal clear treble. Not to mention they're very comfortable and comparatively easy to drive.

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 13
I said it in the 880s thread but, I like the T90s enough that I was ok with selling my newly acquired T1s. They're similar enough that I didn't think it was worth the 300 difference in price. T90s for under 400 on Amazon. :xf_eek:

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 13
I said it in the 880s thread but, I like the T90s enough that I was ok with selling my newly acquired T1s. They're similar enough that I didn't think it was worth the 300 difference in price. T90s for under 400 on Amazon.
redface.gif

It looks like the headphone hiatus jig is up. Darn you Head-Fi!

In all seriousness, I willingly was on a pre-planned financial interim. At the moment, I am still waiting for product A. Now, with some careful readjustment in what product A is, I can get product B, a headphone. So, in a way, I am officially back in action. The T 90 sound exactly like the tonality I was itching for in the Sennheiser HD800. Certainly the mighty music microscope, HD 800 was actually missing a tad too much brightness for my tastes. It looks like the T 90 fits the bill quite nicely. Naturalness yet some fun factor to not make me fall asleep. Thank you for the thread, Team Head-Fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back