Beyerdynamic T5P 1st gen - scratchy noise in drivers
Mar 28, 2023 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dsrjohn

Head-Fier
How does one determine if the scratchy noise is because of the drivers or the cable. Is it possible to replace the cable given that it is not easily detachable?

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 5
If it happens when you move the cable around it's likely that. Did you pop the pads off to check for a loose wire yet? If it's happening on both sides it could be the cable or connection. Consolidated Sound has all the parts for those. I forget if those have a screw on adapter, if so it would be worth cleaning or swapping it out in case you get lucky.

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 5
If it happens when you move the cable around it's likely that. Did you pop the pads off to check for a loose wire yet? If it's happening on both sides it could be the cable or connection. Consolidated Sound has all the parts for those. I forget if those have a screw on adapter, if so it would be worth cleaning or swapping it out in case you get lucky.
It doesn't seem to change when the cable is touched. I took the headphones home and listened though my laptop and don't hear the same thing at the moment but will have to do a longer listening test. I connected a different sets of headphones to my DAP and not hearing the issue at all so fairly sure it is a headphones thing. I need to replicate it with the phones connected to a different device. The other day I did when listening through my phone but that was after using them for a few hours that day. I don't know if length of time listening affects the issue but it may.

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Beyer support said it might be a hair poking into the driver so I took off the earcups and cleaned up the mess inside - it seems to have worked.
Well that did not fix it. I still sometimes hear this scratchy noise in the left driver. It seems to mostly happen after several hours of listening. The last Beyer said several months ago was to replace the driver(s). I don't know what that would cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back