Beyerdynamic T51p/Sennheiser HD25-1 alternatives or IEMs
Jan 17, 2014 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ecosse011172

New Head-Fier
I use AKG K550 Headphones in the office, with which I am very happy.
I have Phonak Audeo 111 IEMs for portable use but they have developed a loose wire.
I've been really struggling to find portable closed headphones that are comfortable for big heads, with good isolation, low leakage and a fairly neutral presentation.

After lots of research I tried Sennheiser HD25-1 II, I was delighted with the sound but find them extremely uncomfortable after a short period of time so I gave them to my girlfriend.
I then switched to my IEMs before recently buying Beyerdynamic T51p headphones which are significantly more comfortable, beautifully made but they have a boost in the upper bass which I don't like and lack some detail compared to the HD25-1 II.

I'm now going to sell the T51P and am wondering whether to persist with headphones and maybe try the Philips Fidelio M1 or try other IEMs.
As comfortable as the Phonaks are I seem to get fed up with having something in my ear canal after a while when on long trips so I'm unsure about this.

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 3
Comfort on IEMs can vary drastically with the tips being used. One of the things I like about the Westone & Shure IEMs is that they can take a wide variety of tips - including tips from other brands. I can use Shure tips on my Westones and the reverse is also true - as well as other brands.

However, in the end, an IEM is still stuck in your ear, there's no getting around that!

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 3
Comfort on IEMs can vary drastically with the tips being used. One of the things I like about the Westone & Shure IEMs is that they can take a wide variety of tips - including tips from other brands. I can use Shure tips on my Westones and the reverse is also true - as well as other brands.

However, in the end, an IEM is still stuck in your ear, there's no getting around that!

Thanks for the tip.
I'd like to try headphones again but I just don't know if what I'm looking for exists!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back