Beyerdynamic T51p or...?
Aug 8, 2016 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kdava

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a nice pair of on-ears, mostly for commute and work.

Here are my priorities:

- comfortable for at least 2 hours listening while sitting in front of the computer or walking on the street / traveling by bus, train, etc.
- sound should be 'fun', can be a little bass-heavy but not too much, so closer to flat than to basshead. I have a pair of Takstar Pro80 and I like the sound of it. Also love my Piston 3's although bass can be a little too much there. I like mids and highs clear and crisp, and when the whole sound is kinda smooth and creamy, but not overpowered by bass to the point where it gets washed together. Hope this makes some sense.. Sorry I'm not a hardcore audiophile, so not that familiar with the expressions.
- durable, long-lasting

I have found the T51p, which received excellent reviews. I listen mostly to electronic, so I think the sound of it will be a perfect fit. I also read that it is very comfortable. I would have already bought it, but there are a few things that bother me.

First, I hate that the cable is not replaceable (easily, at least). I would like to ask those who use these phones for more than a year, how is durability? And if the cable breaks, how difficult to replace at home, or about how much to replace in a shop?

Second, I listen mostly to electronic music, but also to a wide range of other genres, just not that frequently. How does the T51p fare with classical music (no vocals, usually piano and strings), jazz and rock?

The one is that I found another pair I like, the B&W P3. Most reviews suggest that the T51p is better in almost every aspect, but there are very positive reviews as well. I really like the design and the detachable cables, they say it is very comfortable as well.

Is the Beyer really the absolute better choice of the two? And is there any other pair of phones you could recommend? The B&W's price is about the most I would pay for headphones. (currently T51P is 140 GBP, P3 is 170 GBP on Amazon)

Thanks a lot in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back