Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Jul 12, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #346 of 736
I think I will send them back. They are good, very good. The dt 177x go is also good and I already paid for them :) is the t5 worth the extra cash? Depends on your needs and with the LSA hp-diamond I got my normal listening needs sorted. I use a closed back for when I want to immerse in gaming and for when the missus is skyping.
In both cases both beyerdynamics tick the boxes. I have another 3 weeks before I need to make up my mind but it's leaning to sending them back cause comfort is not top notch, I still have a hot spot on my head and I do already have a good enough closed back in the form of the dt 177x go.
choices ....
Have you tried the dt177x go with the Dekoni hybrid pads? If so, how do they compare to the T5.3?

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #347 of 736
Have you tried the dt177x go with the Dekoni hybrid pads? If so, how do they compare to the T5.3?
I haven''t but I got the old style dekoni hybrid pads in my stash :) It never occurred to me to try them cause you will loose a lot of the passive noise isolation. Can imagine though that it will even out the frequency response, bringing it closer to the stock velour pads. I might just have to give it a go :)
Having that said, I cannot compare them to the T5 anymore cause I sent those back late last week.

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #348 of 736
I haven''t but I got the old style dekoni hybrid pads in my stash :) It never occurred to me to try them cause you will loose a lot of the passive noise isolation. Can imagine though that it will even out the frequency response, bringing it closer to the stock velour pads. I might just have to give it a go :)
Having that said, I cannot compare them to the T5 anymore cause I sent those back late last week.
Out of curiosity, why did you return the T5? From your posts, I gather that it was mostly an issue of comfort? My auditions with the Beyerdynamic have not yielded any complaints in the way of comfort (or the lack of); however, I suppose long-term use may reveal a niggling issue or 2.

In any case, my most-recent go with the T5 was just last Friday. I actually expected to leave the store with a brand-spanking new Beyer; I departed with a Focal Celestee instead. Now, I'm not bashing on the T5 (3rd Gen) - it has a unique signature that's not often replicated in the higher-tiers of the headphone world. It is an acquired taste, but if you're in the market for potent bass, gobs of warmth, silky-smooth sound, and a darker tone, there are few contemporaries in the market. At least, few that share the same character, and are yet technically competent enough as to warrant that coveted "High-End" tag.

Some day, I might just get my hands on a T5 (3rd Generation). :wink:

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #349 of 736
Out of curiosity, why did you return the T5? From your posts, I gather that it was mostly an issue of comfort? My auditions with the Beyerdynamic have not yielded any complaints in the way of comfort (or the lack of); however, I suppose long-term use may reveal a niggling issue or 2.
Comfort is key with any headphone for me since I tend to wear them throughout the day and most of the evening. The T5 felt wonderful each time for about 20 minutes when a few small naggings occurred. I kept switching the position of the pads and felt a hotspot near the top of my head. I tried some different pads and fixed the pad positioning issue but not the hotspot. I bended the headband just a bit and thought I lost that hotspot but no, to make things worse by bending I increased the clamp on the sides of my head and gelt the need to reposition the headphones again over and over. I had the exact same with the T5p gen.2; which might be why I kept selling them after a few months...
I sent them back hoping I can one day find a closed-back that I do can wear for a longer period of time, while not being over 1k euro (looking at you Stellia!). Just like you I am at the Celestee station now and it not only looks pretty, but sounds good (good but surely different than the T5) and so far it doesn't give me any comfort issues :)

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #350 of 736
Comfort is key with any headphone for me since I tend to wear them throughout the day and most of the evening. The T5 felt wonderful each time for about 20 minutes when a few small naggings occurred. I kept switching the position of the pads and felt a hotspot near the top of my head. I tried some different pads and fixed the pad positioning issue but not the hotspot. I bended the headband just a bit and thought I lost that hotspot but no, to make things worse by bending I increased the clamp on the sides of my head and gelt the need to reposition the headphones again over and over. I had the exact same with the T5p gen.2; which might be why I kept selling them after a few months...
I sent them back hoping I can one day find a closed-back that I do can wear for a longer period of time, while not being over 1k euro (looking at you Stellia!). Just like you I am at the Celestee station now and it not only looks pretty, but sounds good (good but surely different than the T5) and so far it doesn't give me any comfort issues :)
Ahhh, I see. Well, on the topic of comfort, I find the Beyerdynamic flagships more comfortable to use than most of the Focal headphones. I have currently, on hand, the Elegia and the Celestee, and neither headphone is a final authority on comfort. At best, they can be used for a good hour or so; anything beyond that stretch requires a break. I am, in fact, taking one now, after a solid hour of listening with the Celestee. I can tolerate heavy masses, but a strong clamping force is a no-no. It's always interesting to see people's (different) perspectives on the same headphone - some find the same product comfortable to use, and others, a bother (or a PITA). :wink:

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your Celestee, from the aural and utility perspectives. :)

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #352 of 736

In any case, my most-recent go with the T5 was just last Friday. I actually expected to leave the store with a brand-spanking new Beyer; I departed with a Focal Celestee instead. Now, I'm not bashing on the T5 (3rd Gen) - it has a unique signature that's not often replicated in the higher-tiers of the headphone world. It is an acquired taste, but if you're in the market for potent bass, gobs of warmth, silky-smooth sound, and a darker tone, there are few contemporaries in the market. At least, few that share the same character, and are yet technically competent enough as to warrant that coveted "High-End" tag.

Glad you found what you like! I ended up getting my T5's on trade for about half of the cost of new Celestee, here in Canada.
I have always been curious about a closed back Focal as I LOVE my Elex's.

I am currently Really enjoying my T60 Argons!

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #354 of 736
@arielext : do you live close or close enough to Delft?
For me it’s about 60 km but worth it.
I mean Earsunlimited, great shop. Good coffee and the best service.
No but I need excuses to go out more :wink: (once we know how much we f*d up by opening the bars too soon :p)

Glad you found what you like! I ended up getting my T5's on trade for about half of the cost of new Celestee, here in Canada.
I have always been curious about a closed back Focal as I LOVE my Elex's.

I am currently Really enjoying my T60 Argons!
T60 / Modded T50rp are still on my to try list. It can function as a 'semi open' headphone. Not that I need one or will use it more then twice but I am still wondering about those :)

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #355 of 736
If anyone was curious, removing the foam in front of the driver makes a huge difference. From what I can tell it’s only there to tame the Tesla highs but I’d rather deal with them because before it sounded way too dark and veiled.

092E7A91-9CCD-4842-86B9-C82180CEFE38.jpeg
CF5DE0F8-836E-4982-983C-74414DE5133D.jpeg

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #356 of 736
I am having a bit of "returner's remorse". I bought and returned a pair last month due to comfort issues. However, I can't get over their sound...

I am a proud owner of a Mr Speakers Ether CX...that I do not like. It is very comfortable - especially with the Brainwavez XL sheepskin pads that I bought for it. But the sound is not my cup of tea.

But that got me thinking - does anyone have any experience with the XL pads fitting the T5 3rd? Or even T5 1s/2nd (same size?)?

As much of a pita it will be to ditch the CX and repurchase the T5 3rd, I will do that in a heartbeat if I can get the overear comfort of the XL pads plus the T5's sonic signature.

Thanks for the help!

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #357 of 736
Hopefully the pads won't make a major difference in sound signature in that case. I know I have tried multiple pads during my T5p gen2 / T5 gen3 times and each and everyone of the pads did change the sound, mostly for the worse. Sheepskin pads tend to bloat the bass, but then again I never tried the brainwavz on the T5 so I might be wrong :)

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #358 of 736
No but I need excuses to go out more :wink: (once we know how much we f*d up by opening the bars too soon :p)

T60 / Modded T50rp are still on my to try list. It can function as a 'semi open' headphone. Not that I need one or will use it more then twice but I am still wondering about those :)
It is like wearing little suede pillows on your ears. My Most comfortable headphones.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #359 of 736

What made you choose the Celeste over the T5's? I had the Celestee a little bit but I'm thinking of changing things up and I'm looking at other options.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #360 of 736
Google shows that the XL pads fit the T5 2nd, so assuming the 2 and 3 are the same dimensions, I should be in good shape (I think they are).

Now I just need to ditch the CX... 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back