Beyerdynamic T1 < mid-fi gear
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of dac are you possibly looking at for an upgrade from your pico?

I already ordered Nuforce Icon HDP, though I am not sure it is significant upgrade.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_Nsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some remarks.
Kostalex has used my CDP for testing. It is NOT stock Marantz CD63 (KIS edition)!
It is completely different design, which use only the body, PSUs and CDM12.3 transport.
DAC based on simple multibit design with AD1865 stereochip. When used as USB DAC (I has made an USB input in this CDP) there are galvanic isolators and ASRC with reclocking from high quality masterclock in soundchain...so it is NOT mid-fi setup as somebody could think...

Sorry, lets us consider my WooAudio 3 as a weakest link in the chain.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #18 of 29
Update

Directly from aleXmod of Cowon X5 DAP
Quote:

To Alex_Nsk - please, provide with the details of this specific sample, like DAC chip used

Bass is deepest of all the combos mentioned above, though on a lean side.
Mids are well ahead of the Pico - no veil, lively, electric guitars are brisk, voices are vivid, tonality and details are pleasure to listen to.
Highs strength is alike to 2nd combo, minor sibilance is here, in-between Pico and 2nd combo.
Soundstage is in-between 2nd combo and Pico, separation and location are respectable.
Clarity, speed, details are great, Etymotic style, while smoother.
I feel some signs of power lacking, like lesser soundstage and less body comparing to 1st and 2nd combo. But I am not surprised since I am driving 600 Ohm cans from a DAP with quite a small battery.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #19 of 29
This one is my own premial version of aleXmod based on TI PCM1794 DAC, LM6172IM OA as I/U covertors and THS6102 OA as output amp chip.
All elecrolityc caps is Rubycon Black Gate, PK in analog PSU, NX-HQ in REF pin of DAC.
1% resistors and NPO SMD caps around..

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJnK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What he said
confused_face_2.gif

Oh, come on, English is not my native language
icon10.gif
What did I said wrong?

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #21 of 29
Just my 5 cents to the desribing of Tesla's sound. (setup is as short as it could: just my aleXmod+T1)
That headphones made with not natural FR, it's made with akind of *wow* effect in mind.
It demostraites *a lot of details* sound signature, that SERIOUSLY masked low frequencies subjectivelly.
T1 sounds on a bright side, very close to the speakers like Focals/JM Lab: smooth but vivid/bright little more than it is needed.
Soundstage and resolution is amazing for headphones, but the presence of sibbilanses is unacceptable for me.
That's just my point of view, nothing personal
wink.gif

Possibly T1 could sounds well with *more dark* and *warm* sources, with appropriate high frequencies's recess (valve amps with transformators at the output, high inductivity interconnect cables and so on)

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #22 of 29
graphCompare.php

In fact i can't tell which headphone is more natural or more dark, warm, by those measure.

The case "T1 loves opt", in my opinion, more like impedance matching relation,not the roll-off HF trick.

Headphone's actually HF reproduce, as you seem in picture , just full of reflex and refract, as "real listening room",maybe with a super tweeter?

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #23 of 29
Update

5) the same Marantz CDP (see 1) > SOHA II, stock tubes (I will specify exact model later)

Bass depth is same to #3, weight is just right.
Mids are somewhat recessed and non-linear, being thinner at some frequency ranges and thicker at others. Guitars do not sound right, do not involve.
Highs spike is modest with light sibilance.
Details are modest and do not stand out.
Speed and separation are 4 out 5.

6) the same Marantz CDP (see 1) > SOHA II, tubes are Philips JAN 6922 (taken from my WA3)

Bass depth is same to #3, weight is just right. Quality is nice and detailed, though attack is a bit soft, on a slow side.
Mids are warmer and less realistic than with WA3, close to #2 or #3; blurred, less detailed than with WA3.
Soundstage is narrower and less deep comparing to WA3, instrument localization is good.

T1 vs W5000

W5000 is more coherent and musical, fun and involving. Soundstage is slightly wider and deeper. Bass hits too hard for me. T1 is faster, more detailed, better separates instruments. Which is better to me depends on the gear used. T1 wins in #5 combo, W5000 is better with #6.

T1 vs HD650

HD650 is the most comfortable and has the smallest soundstage out of three. I like how it is detailed & relaxed, dark & fast at the same time. Mids and separation are close to T1, with some gear HD650 mids are better. With all the gear used above, I prefer HD650 to T1 overall. Though I believe T1 may scale higher with better gear.

Comfort issues

T1 is incomfortable to me. My head is ^ shaped at top and T1 headband does not have corresponding notch here (HD650 has). So T1 lies heavy on this area with all its weight, causing the pain after some minutes. Earpads are OK, though HD650 pads are better too. Generally, HD650 was a real relief after I tried T1 for 30 minutes.

If I ever buy T1, I will easily mod the headband creating some pit on the headband.

T1 placement in my personal headphone ranking chart

I owned or listened to 90+ headphones and I ranked some of them in the chart, which you may find in my Earbuds buyers guide. At the moment, I place T1 on the top of the chart for its SQ strictly. Music enjoyment is another story, it yet to beat HD650 (probably with higher source/amp than I was tried).

Conclusion
  1. This is a true high-end headphone overall, the best I heard to date.
  2. The only drawback is a highs spike (at 8-9 kHz accordingly to Headroom graph).
  3. T1 is the most transparent and revealing headphone I heard.
  4. It is lighting-fast, on par with electrostats.
  5. It is time to upgrade my DAC, good bye Pico.
T1 discovered to me the real transparency, sounding very different with various gear. Those cans I called "transparent" before are just half-transparent. They exhibits their own character with any gear and do not react to the gear changes like T1 does. The only thing T1 keeps with any gear is the highs spike and even this spike changes a lot depending on the source/amp/tubes etc.

Would I buy T1? Not now by two reasons:
  • It requires high quality source/amp to sound nice. I am not willing to invest into the whole rig upgrade now. With my current rig, T1 does not provide great SQ jump comparing to HD650.
  • It provides a sense of unfinished product with these highs spike and overall build quality/comfort. I will wait for other upcoming Tesla models and some mods. I am sure that modded T1 will be a gem, but I do not like the idea to invent these mods myself.

Currawongs index of T1 reviews, notes and other info.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #26 of 29
SOHA II is better suited for low impedance headphones like big Grado's. Believing my friend, it sucks on the HD800, so the 600 ohm T1 isn't a good companion for it, IMHO. I heard three different builds of SOHA II and each time it was good with GS1000 or PS1000, and Sennheiser HD565.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #29 of 29
I completed the review and updated thread title to fit Head-fi home page restrictions for title length. To mods (moderators) - I suggest to show more characters from the thread titles on the home page. Current restriction is inconvenient for both reviewers and readers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back