beyerdynamic T1 amp upgrade
Jul 9, 2014 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Rcamcq

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

This is my first post here, though i have used everyone's advice quite a bit in the past (thanks by the way).

I have a new pair of beyerdynamic T1s, and for the past few weeks have been baffled by the choice of amplifiers. I took advantage of a good deal on ebay and got a second hand woo audio wa3.

Now, I have a half decent hifi set-up, and consider myself able to tell the difference between mediocre and good quality hifi, but the headphone sound is too new to me, and I can't make an informed decision, even after auditioning at my local shop.

I have a rega apollo cd, naim nait 5i amp, cambridge audio stream magic 6 (which is also used as a dac from the rega), connected by chord anthem 2s and powered through wireworld stratus 7 mains cables.

What I would appreciate your advice on is this:

I think the wa3 sounds good, but definitely doesn't sound as easy and natural as my loudspeakers (neat motive 2s). But, as I have an 8 month old baby I simply don't have the luxury of enjoying my music as I did in the past.

I love the principle of tube headphone amps (it seems quite romantic), and I want to know if I would realise any considerable improvement by upgrading to a wa6se or wa2.

Otherwise are there any other mainstream suggestions. My budget is up to $2000

I am also considering some audio technica ath-w1000xs, mostly because they seem to be the best closed back design below the out-of -reach audeze, and would appreciate your comments on its suitability to wa3, 6se and 2 (my wife is convinced I woke my daughter up with my open-back t1s playing Leo Kotke live...)

My main listening is traditional Irish (uillean pipes etc), soundtracks, soft rock and the very occasional heavy metal and 'toilet punk'

Thanks everybody!!!

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 2
I had the pleasure of borrowing T1s last weekend, with a Chord Hugo. Wow..! I'm now looking at the contents of my flat wondering what I should sell first so I can have one.

Also I have a Just Audio uHA-120Ds for use with them (fine tuned for the T1 by Justin himself) - exceptionally good. My Fiio E12 makes them too bright though.

Tube amps (I recently tried the Fostex HP-V1) will pick up certain harmonics and bring electric guitars or brass to life, great if you like harmonics within sounds but may not be so good for fine detail.

Consider the Final Audio Pandoras for a great closed-back, or Fostex TH-600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back