Beyerdynamic MMX 102 iE vs 101 iE?
May 5, 2014 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Allanmarcus

Headphoneus Supremus
It appears the only difference is a smoother cord to reduce cord noise and a some cosmetic changes. The 101's are on sale for < $60 on Amazon, and the 102's are over $100. Anyone want to to comment on if the 102's are worth the extra money?

Thanks,

Allan

May 5, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 12
  It appears the only difference is a smoother cord to reduce cord noise and a some cosmetic changes. The 101's are on sale for < $60 on Amazon, and the 102's are over $100. Anyone want to to comment on if the 102's are worth the extra money?

Thanks,

Allan

well, here's the response I got from beyer. Now I need to decide if the 102's are really worth $60 more than the 101's. Ug, decisions.

:wink:

-Allan

We thank you for your email!
  The differences between the MMX 101 iE and MMX 102 iE were improvements made on the cable and housing.

Cable: Thicker and Robust with less cable noise.  Improved Frequency response.
  Housing:  More Durable and Robust.

Please contact me with any questions.

Pete Carini
Sales Manager
Consumer Electronics

May 10, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 12
So, I got the MMX 101's from amazon (used from the warehouse, $42). I didn't like the stock tips, so I used a pair of Sony Hybrids. I like the sound. My only issue are the microphonics. The wires are not quiet.

Given that is what's supposed to be improved on the 102's, I will probably give them a try once the price drops a little.

Hope this helps someone. If you've tried the 102, and especially if you've compared them to the 101's, let us know.

May 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 12
I was going to post saying to spend the extra money on the 102's but I guess I just missed ya.  I got mine after sending 101's back twice for a crackling/popping sound when I moved (on top of the really bad cord noise) and they're much better.

May 12, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm still within my 14 day Amazon return. I too have noticed the High cord noise and crackily sounds. Thanks for confirming. I will send mine back too.

May 12, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 12
Yea absolutely.  I have to mention though, the people at Beyerdynamic were pretty awesome.  The second time I sent mine back they got lost (or stolen) by the postal service and they sent me the 102's with a scan of the receipt from the post office.

May 12, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 12
  Yea absolutely.  I have to mention though, the people at Beyerdynamic were pretty awesome.  The second time I sent mine back they got lost (or stolen) by the postal service and they sent me the 102's with a scan of the receipt from the post office.

AWESOME!

Are you using the stock tips? I found the Sony tips to be a better fit for me. I think they are $6 from MP4Nation

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 12
I bought MMX 102 IE today for using with my mobile. Awesome IEM for the price. Very good with EDM.

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 12
I've found that wearing the MMX 101s 'over ear' makes a big difference to the amount of cable noise. I've had mine for a year or two now and don't have any major problems as long as I wear them this way. I didn't know that there was a new model though...tempting!

What tips do you guys use with these? I've been using Comply but want to try something new. Any thoughts?

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #12 of 12
I use Comply. It increases bass tremendously. Probably because tips that came with them don't fit my ear canal while Comply fit well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back