Beyerdynamic Manufaktur 600 Ohm phones
Jun 19, 2006 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dentomat

New Head-Fier
Has somebody experience with these. The web page says "minimum moved mass" for the 600 Ohm models. Does that affect the sound in a positive way? How hard are they to drive for an amp? Please help me decide before ordering my new 880s.
Thanks a lot!

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dentomat
Has somebody experience with these. The web page says "minimum moved mass" for the 600 Ohm models.
Thanks a lot!

I've listened to DT 880/250 versus DT 880/600.
Quote:

Does that affect the sound in a positive way?

It depends on your amp.I'm not familar with your Sugden.
Driven by a solid state amp with very low output impedance (Lehmann BCL) they did sound very similar.The 600 ohm version seemed to be a little "faster" (better transient response), but I didn't perform a DBT and my mind might have played tricks with me.However, the 600 ohm version wasn't in another league performancewise.
I guess most relatively powerful dedicated SS headphoneamps would drive the 600 Ohm version without problems.
The main advantages of the 600 Ohm version are IMO:
1) Better performance when driven by the headphone out of a speaker amp connected to the power amp section via a simple resistor network
2) Some tube amps do require high impedance headphones, 400 Ohm and up

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks cosmopragma, for the quick and detailed answer.
The lower moved mass could be responsible for the better transient response, but as you´re saying this impression is very subtle and bordering to imagination, that wouln´t be a strong argument to their favour. The Sugden Headmaster is comparable to the Lehmann, I think, so it should be able to drive them. I´m not planning to downgrade from a headamp, to a phones jack on an integrated amp. So the only argument in favour would be that a tube amp which I could buy in the future could drive them better.
Maybe other members have additional information.

Btw: I live in Düsseldorf, too.

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 5
I have 600 ohm DT880-headphones and Rudistor RP7 Lite headphone amp and I haven't had any troubles with this dreadful "600 ohm". In fact I can turn up the volume only slightly before it's too loud for me. I can't say if this 600 ohm affects the sound in a positive way.

Jun 21, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dentomat

Btw: I live in Düsseldorf, too.

There are already a few head-fiers living in our hometown (Evildwarf, Marco and cantrememberhisscreenname) and some nearby in Duisburg, Essen, Wuppertal, and RichterDi moves from Bavaria to Krefeld in August.
Maybe we could organize a local mini meet, but naturally not during summertime.Summertime and headphones don't mix well.
I do own 3 x AKG K1000 summer headphones though (don't ask why), RichterDi owns a fourth, and the guy I can't remember the name at the moment a fifth.
We could provide one of the dorkiest pics in the history of head-fi this way.Five Düsseldorfers equipped with K1000s and T-amps walking down the Kö, scaring some rich Ladies off ..........
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back