Beyerdynamic iDX 200 iE impressions?
Jan 8, 2017 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Allanmarcus

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone tried these? Gutenberg gave them a really good review in sound and vision. Past Breyer IEMs suffered from excessive cable noise, so I'm curious to hear impressions to find out if beyerdynamic has addressed the issue.

Sound & Vision review: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/beyerdynamic-idx-200-ie-ear-headphones#Ib1R5gT8Bz5vIPCd.97

TechRadar: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/beyerdynamic-idx-200-ie-1326340/review

Major HiFi: http://majorhifi.com/beyerdynamic-idx-200-ie/

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 13
Anyone tried these? Gutenberg gave them a really good review in sound and vision. Past Breyer IEMs suffered from excessive cable noise, so I'm curious to hear impressions to find out if beyerdynamic has addressed the issue.

It is a little surprising to me that, although these iem's have been out for over six months, there is little mention of them here.  Like you, I'm interested in seeing more reviews of this product on the forums.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 13
My experience with Beyer is limited to the  iDX 200 iE, so while I am able to confirm the absence of excessive cable noise, I can't speak to any improvement as compared with Beyer's prior IEMs. That said, my experience has been consistent with Gutenberg's assessment. I bought them last October, and have been enjoying them so much that I grabbed a second pair in December during an online seller's close-out sale.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 13
Extraordinary, almost electrostatic sounding, very extended, but with very DEEP and tight bass that ESL's usually lack. Natural, uncolored, dynamic, nuanced and very detailed, Anyone who has not heard these - and compared them with anything out there YES, THAT IS A CHALLENGE - is doing a disservice to themselves. Beyer should be ashamed of themselves for selling these so cheaply. I have compared them with Audeze LCD-X, Shure 535SEs, Sennheisers and a few others. Needless to say, these are my now go-to buds. If you need to, don't be afraid to use some EQ. And if you're sick and tired of external DACs with your mobile, give them up and buy an LG V20, which has an extraordinarily good built-in DAC - alone worth the price of entry. Use USB Audio Pro app, and in settings, set to "internal dac." Enjoy.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 13
  My experience with Beyer is limited to the  iDX 200 iE, so while I am able to confirm the absence of excessive cable noise, I can't speak to any improvement as compared with Beyer's prior IEMs. That said, my experience has been consistent with Gutenberg's assessment. I bought them last October, and have been enjoying them so much that I grabbed a second pair in December during an online seller's close-out sale.

I think I saw that sale, but now I cannot remember how low the price went. $120? or was it lower?

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 13
Got a pair of those this morning and frankly for a £/$100+ earphones the cables look and feel so cheap and rubbish it's embarrassing and the 7 pairs of silicon tips and 3 pairs of comply foams you get do not compensate for it.

Soundwise, it's a mixed bag, while they are technically very capable, my opinion is that they are so badly tuned from upper mids to top end that they aren't worth it. They work well enough on some tracks but on others they are terrible with lead guitars lacking bite all the while voices are sibilant and the super crisp top end sounds like faint weird noise because it is not elevated enough. Sometimes they feel to me like they are totally incoherent and slow. I don't think brain burn in will help.

After the Byrons which are the best earphones in the £50 range according to WhatHiFi but that I find just about meh, this is my second beyerdynamic disappointment.. I am now wondering if saving for some Xelentos isn't a bad idea after all, considering this...

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 13
Got a pair in the mail today, and have been listening to them the last few hours. Over all I like them, although I must admit to there being a little sibilance at times depending on the recording quality of the music you're listening to. Comfort is fine. Not noticing any cord noise, as mentioned above. Bass and sub bass are there. Driven well enough from my phone, at home now and using the iFi black label. And yeah, they sound very nice out of it, as most things do. Probably would call these fun sounding, not neutral. Bass/treble are both a bit pronounced, but not overly so for my taste.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 13
How's the isolation? Any comparisons to other top ~$100 items?
Isolation is ok, wouldn't call it spectacular. I'm afraid I'm not into the iem scene much at this point, so I really can't compare it to much else. sorry.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Ok, now that I own a couple of different iems that are around the same price point, I can try to give a more thought out opinion. First, these are not even a little neutral. Definite emphasis on both bass & treble. I'm not good at judging on whether they're V shaped, but I kind of think they are. They do not offer a lot of depth in their sound, it's all pretty much up front and in your face. That said, they're not bad but I don't know that I'd push them on anyone around the $100 price. I prefer both the Fiio F5 (cheaper) and the iBasso IT01 to the Beyers. Like I said, they're not totally bad, just a little on the shouty side for my taste.

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 13
I found your description to be mostly consistent with my own experience, and your post prompted to give them another listen, which led to an unexpected result.

My dog walks me an hour a day, and in recent months my Beyer iems fell out of my "iems for a walk" rotation, along with my Focal Sphears, in favor of some Massdrop acquisitions and Fiio's F9 Pro and FH1. I thought the Beyers were a good buy when I purchased them in late 2016 for $120, but I had issues with them. Finding the right tips to realize their potential was problematic...I noticed some hardness/glare for upper mids and treble at higher volume levels with silicone tips, while Comply tips seemed to shift the balance too far toward the bass. My second issue related to cabling, which either isn't enough, w/o the extension, or is too long when using it. Last night, I listened to the Beyers with Fiio's i1 substituted for the extension cable, and was surprised to find significant improvements in the sound stage, and also a complete resolution of the hardness/glare. It will take several additional listens with this configuration to confirm what I thought I heard, and of course YMMV. That being said, by the end of the walk I preferred the Beyers to the F9 Pro and FH1, which for me is high praise. In any case, it makes the total cable length manageable, and that's a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back