Beyerdynamic DTs?
Nov 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nach0stheone

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am looking for a pair of decent headphones within the budget of around $200 with a portable headphone amplifier. I would be using it to commute daily and also for part of my studies in audio engineering and recording studio . I listen to mostly punk rock, punk pop and rock and also I do not blast my headphones at extremely loud volumes. I've also been to the local audio shop to test different brands of headphones before settling on the few selected models as shown below. 

Beyerdynamic DT 770(250 Ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT 990(250 Ohm)
Beyerdynamic COP

The 990 sounded much more detailed as compared to the 770 but being an open can headphones, I am a little afraid that the sound leakage from these headphones might disturb the others around me in the quieter environment. The COP seems to be an okay choice between the two though I feel its more catered towards the ones who enjoyed bass. 

For the portable headphone amp, I would be getting the Fiio E11 if I am getting the DTs but I am wondering if its enough to drive both headphones to their fullest potential. Any other recommendations for other headphones paired with the amps are welcomed too ! I would be getting my gear from Amazon at the end of the month

Tips?

Thanks

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Not sure how the E11 amp compares to the E17, but I know the E17 is enough to drive my DT770 (80 Ohm) very nicely.  I would imagine that it would adequately drive the 250 Ohm drivers, but I don't have them so someone that does might be better suited to answer that.

The COPs have a 15 or 16 Ohm resistance, so they wouldn't need an amp at all.

For commuting, I would recommend either of the closed options, the 770s or the COP, as they will offer the isolation you want: both so you wouldn't bother others with your sound but also so that the sounds of the outside don't leak in (which in turn may cause you to turn up your music, causing more of it to leak out...vicious cycle)

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 7
  Not sure how the E11 amp compares to the E17, but I know the E17 is enough to drive my DT770 (80 Ohm) very nicely.  I would imagine that it would adequately drive the 250 Ohm drivers, but I don't have them so someone that does might be better suited to answer that.

The COPs have a 15 or 16 Ohm resistance, so they wouldn't need an amp at all.

For commuting, I would recommend either of the closed options, the 770s or the COP, as they will offer the isolation you want: both so you wouldn't bother others with your sound but also so that the sounds of the outside don't leak in (which in turn may cause you to turn up your music, causing more of it to leak out...vicious cycle)

Hey, thanks for the input ! Is the E17 a portable headphone amp though? I am considering the E12 but due to budget constraints, I am settling for the E11 at the moment, hence I'm wondering if there's a major difference between the two. For the issue on sound leakage, do the 990s leak that much as compared to other open cans? 

Any other opinions?

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 7
Since I own the 990s currently, I can tell you that they do leak significantly. I use it at home but people say they can hear my music (and probably tell the notes) at a 3 meter distance. Another drawback for open cans are that they don't isolate environment noise well--not a good thing for commuting I guess. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi,

You should consider getting a pair of Shure's Srh 840 or 940. Both closed back, easy to drive and very detailed. Being the 840s more musical while 940s are detail monsters with neutral sound signature (maybe quite bass shy)

Best Luck!

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 7
  Hey, thanks for the input ! Is the E17 a portable headphone amp though? I am considering the E12 but due to budget constraints, I am settling for the E11 at the moment, hence I'm wondering if there's a major difference between the two. For the issue on sound leakage, do the 990s leak that much as compared to other open cans? 

Any other opinions?

Thanks!

Yes, the E17 is both a portable amp and a USB DAC/AMP for home use.  I use mine in both situations.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 7
You might be best off with the DT250s (250 ohm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back