Beyerdynamic DT990, Sound Blaster Z replacement
Nov 30, 2020 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sparrowxxx

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am currently using Sound Blaster Z, with my Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm connected to the headphone amp output and Edifier speakers also connected to the back of the card via 3.5 mm jack. What is important I use MIDI Keyboard connected to the PC via USB. I am using Sound Blaster Z because of the ASIO driver, that I need when using DAW.

My issue is really thin and flat sound coming up from DT990 that I have recently bought. It looks that synergy is not the greatest between those two devices. In comparison, when I connect DT990 to the Marantz PM6006 amp (source direct mode), it is night and day difference - sound is much richer and vibrant, especially when it comes to the bass register. I am pretty sure the issue is with Sound Blaster Z producing the sound I do not quite like.

The question is, how to improve the headphones sound? Is connecting external amplifier (like FiiO E10k) to the Sound Blaster going to help in anyway? How the connection would look like in such a case? Is it even worth trying?
I am also willing to get rid of SBZ, however I still need something that would give me low latency when using MIDI keyboard plus I need to have the ability to change output between speakers and headphones. I was thinking about getting Audio Interface, however I do not know much about them and I am not sure if this would be proper solution.

inb4, I really do not want to emulate ASIO by using ASIO4ALL.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back