Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro vs. Shure SRH840 vs. Sony MA900
Jan 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:
It was me who changed the title to open a new discussion.
Now there are some headphones chosen and I need help to decide between them :wink:

Oh, ok, unfortunatly I can not help you with these three headphone's you are interested in, I have previously owned Grado SR80i's, Alessandro MS2i's and currently own Grado 325is's. Prior to owning the Grado/Alessandro line I've ownwed some koss and some bose.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #35 of 43
Hi Nati123,

In times like these finding comparison articles works, so you get to know the traits of headphones. But nothing will beat listening to them yourself and deciding what suits you best. I can offer a comparison article that I wrote a long time ago and, after many more headphones that I tried after I wrote it, I still have my ATH-M50 and love them, although I prefer other headphones for working with music (Sony z1000), but the difference is not drastic, and Audio Technicas still hold their ground. Anyway, just my two cents, here's the article:

7 closed headphones vs dynaudio bm15 monitors

Cheers and happy searching! 

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #36 of 43
Hi rayjuodas!

Thank you for that link! I also think that the M50 is a very good headphone, but they could have some too harsh highs for my taste. And I'd probably prefer the wider soundstage of an open headphone. Anyway, the ATH m50 was my favourite for months!
I will go for the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro, if I find a good source for it :wink:

Thanks again!

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #38 of 43
You think so? Unfortunatly I haven't heard the M50s yet, but I heard this about their "harsh highs". But I also heard that the Beyers should have some harsh highs, too... They say, the highs are really dominant, but they haven't got such ugly "s"
or "z" noices.
I think the m50s should be similar in their highs, don't they?

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #39 of 43
That's the thing, you can't completely trust others in these matters, as to one the highs might seem harsh, while to someone else - sweet and silky  :)
I find ATH-M50 a very balanced (apart from a bit too big bottom end, which is kind of a plus in this model's case, as it does not intrude on mids, and you get a deep low end, while everything else sounds in the right place as well), while DT990 or Denon D2000 or most (all?) Ultrasone headphones have sharp, painful highs. I have never felt ATH-M50 have excessive highs, and I don't like sharp highs! So I don't know where all of this is coming from. As I wrote - you have to be careful about these claims. I have mixed on ATH-M50, and it makes the recordings a bit too bright, in my opinion, because of the mellow / darkish character of these cans.

Sorry for confusing you even more! :wink:

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #40 of 43
Ah, yeah! I see...
You're right, it's a completely subjective thing.
Maybe I have to order them both from amazon. You get the DT990 pro and also the M50 for about 149€. Then I could let my own ears decide which one is better :wink:
I searched in a few forums and threads for the answer "Dt990 or m50". They say the DT990 was better, but only with a (good?-) amp.
Do you know something about "good" amps?
I already made a thread about this question but no one answers :frowning2: lol

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #41 of 43
Also, regarding the sibilance (S sounds). If it's in the recording and de-essing is not done properly (or artist made a decision to have hot sibilance on vocals for some reason, for example), then you have to hear it in the headphones, as otherwise it would mean that your headphones are too far away from the intended (or unintended through inexperience etc.) sound source, and basically are not very good. ATH-M50 will show that to you. If the sibilance is in the recording, you will hear it (but not excessively), while with the DT990, D2000 or UItrasones the sibilance is in the core of every song and every recording, IMO. That's the difference between the headphones and monitors - it's not enough to make headphones linear (as some manufacturers claim), because, unlike when listening to monitors or speakers, where the sibilance dissipates while sound waves travel through the air, get absorbed by walls and all kinds of materials etc.,  the distance between the listener and the sound source is non-existent while listening to music with headphones, and in the above mentioned models these piercing high frequency sounds are not dampened at all, it seems, which means a painful listening experience where you get ear fatigue very quickly. I have not noticed this trait with ATH-M50 whatsoever.  

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #42 of 43
Sorry, I can't comment on amps, as I have almost no experience regarding them. In my case a quality stereo amplifier or a CD player (not portable one) is more than enough to drive most of the headphones. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #43 of 43
Well, I'm afraid I have to start this discussion once more. Some of you might have been confused that I started another thread about different headphones, although I didn't buy the Beyers of this thread or so ... So, my first thoughts were to buy a good headphone for my home and to take my Sennheiser's for outside. But since I want to save a little money, I think it could be better to buy a new pair for outside, and let my Sennheiser's the one for my home.

Unfortunatly no one is answering my latest thread, I have to ask here;

I'm interested in a few pair of portable headphones.
- AKG k450/451
- AKG k619
- AKG Q460

I heard that the Q460 is absoloutly overpriced, And this is why I like the k619 or the k450/451 most
So, since this is a forum of " full size cans", I'm also interested in (portable?) full size headphones.

What do you think of the named headphones? Do you think there are better - maybe full size headphones - at a prize range about 100-150€ ? The ATH- m50 may be good, but the cable is not detachable, and that's something I want my headphones to have, except the cable is veeeery hard to brake.

Thanks in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back