Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro or AKG K702 for Ety Junkie?
Jan 17, 2009 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
Sometime in the near future (very near) I may have a budget to buy myself an open backed circumaurals.

For starters, I am an ER-4S zealot, loved the sound of Alessandro MS-1 and hate the HD600 (I had them for 2 months).

This will be for home use and will be amped accordingly.

Eyeing:
- BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm
- AKG K702
* They are on my list partially because they are black...duh. Oh yes over a year ago I had a chance to sample the sound of DT990 32 Ohm and AKG K701. I have to admit I liked them very much.

Let's hear some advice shall we?

Thanks

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 10
what genre of music you listen to ? I Have 990 pros and ms1...if you liked the latter...you might enjoy the former depending on you musical taste...they are the complete opposite,the 990pros have exceptional bass response, deep and well controlled, though not lightning fast as the grados...the ms1 are upfront with small soundstage, unsuitable for classical music, which will sound much better on the beyers...which reveal also a lot more details...

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 10
Don't forget the Sony SA5000
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what genre of music you listen to ? I Have 990 pros and ms1...if you liked the latter...you might enjoy the former depending on you musical taste...they are the complete opposite,the 990pros have exceptional bass response, deep and well controlled, though not lightning fast as the grados...the ms1 are upfront with small soundstage, unsuitable for classical music, which will sound much better on the beyers...which reveal also a lot more details...

Which one of the reason I didn't keep the MS-1, I needed soundstage and even my ER-4 have better headstage in comparo.

I listen a lot to blues/indie kind of stuffs nowadays, some Jazz and Classical. And instrumental as well - which again soundstage is required.

So, I should add that Soundstage is the primary focus here because I get all the rest from my ER-4S.

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 10
If you want soundstage, then the 990s won't disappoint you, they have plenty
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 10
K702 for sure. Earlier today, I read this review by someone who bought the K701, then the UE Superfi, then the DT990, then eventually sold the DT990 because the detail and clarity lagged behind that of the K701, which he seems to rank around that of his UEs.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 10
I just posted a comparison of my Etys with K701s and 650s. I found the Etys to be better at dealing with a wide variety of genres than either of the other two. So my first piece of advice would be - don't rule out using the Etys as your main HPs. That said, the 701s weren't that far off the Etys - same quickness and detail, MUCH larger soundstage (significantly larger than the Senns as well). I just don't find them to be quite as fun/involving as the Etys. All this advice is, of course, assuming the 701s sound close enough to the 702s to be a fair basis for comparison, which I believe is the case (having never heard the 702) even if there are some minor differences.

Have never heard the 990s, but owned and sold the 880s - they were too slow. I wouldn't be surprised if the 990s suffer from the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back